Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myrkvidr - Ultima-inspired game made using RPG Maker

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
https://myrkvidr.itch.io/myrkvidr

9kOBzv.jpg

Myrkvidr is a project heavily inspired by early PC RPG fantasy games such as the Ultima series. It is currently available early access BETA version. Many more functions and features are still being implemented.

Enter a world of high fantasy where danger lurks around every corner. Explore a massive open world sandbox. Delve into several caves, dungeons and fortresses teaming with evil. Interact with hundreds of NPCs and make sure to listen to everything they say. Remembering the clues given to you is essential to unlocking the mysteries of Myrkvidr.

Some things that are still in development: 1- proper ending sequence, 2 - additional dialogue and events during combat, 3 - adjustments to the "reputation system" for balance, 4 - additional quest NPCs, 5 - Archaeology/Lore exploration-collection system, 6 - additional spell scrolls for all classes, 7 - event graphical still images, 8 - additional hidden treasures, 9 - additional original music, 10 - rare monster hunt for reputation gains.

There will be newer versions of the game uploaded periodically. and notifications shall be made when a newer version is available. You can transfer your saved games to the new version by copy/pasting a Save.lsd file to the new game's folder.

follow us on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/myrkvidrgame/

RtltjG.jpg

sCdjYa.jpg

WpyQXC.jpg

9%2FaE5k.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I tried the game a bit and it seems fun. It plays exactly like very early JRPGs, I'm not only talking about the RPG Maker UI but also about being close to Ultima with an open world, NPCs giving you hints, secret paths in the corners. There's a strong monster guarding a place just behind the king's castle in the beginning. I'm just not sure I should play it now or wait since it's only a beta and some additional features should be integrated.

V_K

Arcane
I like the style, the background and monsters during fights remind me Bakshi's monsters quite a bit.
I don't know exactly what puts me off to be honest. Paper Sorcerer had a similar high-contrast monochrome style and a similar brownish paper texture, yet looked fantastic. Maybe it's that monsters clash with the backrounds, their black parts merging with each other making the image hard to parse (they seem to be generally overdoing it with the black). Or maybe it's the trippy brown/green/purple palette (purple water? seriously?) combined with ultima-style abstract icons.

Old Hans

Arcane
I like the style, the background and monsters during fights remind me Bakshi's monsters quite a bit.
I don't know exactly what puts me off to be honest. Paper Sorcerer had a similar high-contrast monochrome style and a similar brownish paper texture, yet looked fantastic. Maybe it's that monsters clash with the backrounds, their black parts merging with each other making the image hard to parse (they seem to be generally overdoing it with the black). Or maybe it's the trippy brown/green/purple palette (purple water? seriously?) combined with ultima-style abstract icons.

paper sorcerer had a clean look. This is like someone trying to copy that style but not really understanding how to make it work

newtmonkey

Arcane
It's because this game looks like everything was drawn normally, then converted to monochrome. It looks like playing a VGA game in EGA or an EGA game in CGA.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Okay I played an hour and a bit of this this evening - some initial thoughts:

1. I like the graphical style overall and I like the silhouettes in the battles - well done there. The only thing I though would be slightly better was the buildings; I recognize that was the style back in the day but personally would have preferred to see it shown more like the latter Ultimas.
2. World map and the one dungeon layout so far I like the layout. I think yes there seems to already be a bit to explore. I haven't got the lighting ruby for the other dungeons yet.
3. The towns are fine but they could use a bit of Ultima humor in some of the dialogues; I think it would be fun to have some references to older games and other media.
4. Seems to be a few items that I am not sure yet what they all do, so I see that as a positove.
5. Battles seem a bit long; I don't have any companions yet and whilst I can beat most enemies easily it is a bit of monotonous button mashing the fight button. Either reduce enemies health down or maybe speed up cool down times.
6. Would be nice to have a sound when you pick up an item - the number times I wasn't sure whether I had actually got something or not. The music for the resting house is too long and can be used elsewhere.

Best Wishes and I might add some more thoights in morning.

Myrkvidr

Arcane
Developer
Hello. thanks everyone for input on my game. I see a lot of concerns and some good feedback. This is a fun project for me and I know its not perfect but i am really trying to build a really neat unique world that I can just have fun with. The ititial purpose of the game was to be a sort of a gimicky companion to my Metal band's album of the same title. the music in the game is actually all midi versions of songs from that album. it was going to be small but my love for DND and old school brutal RPG games kinda took over. If you like it, then awesome, if not, hey i think its cool that anyone is even playing it. keep on ROCKIN!!

Myrkvidr

Arcane
Developer

paper sorcerer had a clean look. This is like someone trying to copy that style but not really understanding how to make it work

i dont know what paper sorcerer is, but all of the graphical elements in the game were done this way intentionally so you really can't make out what you are fighting. Old RPG games from the early 80s didnt even have as much as what im showing, you had to use your imagination.

V_K

Arcane
Old RPG games from the early 80s didnt even have as much as what im showing, you had to use your imagination.
Early RPGs might have had smaller sprites and fewer details, but those sprites were very clean and readable. I don't know what your rationale for this is, but it doesn't strike me as a very wise decision.
i dont know what paper sorcerer is
It's a dungeon crawler that looks like this:

Myrkvidr

Arcane
Developer
Am I nuts for thinking that I might have preferred the default RPGMaker animu graphics over this style?

LOL. I made the graphics this simple and monotone on purpose for artistic reasons. Yes, the default RPG maker anime graphics are "better" technically, but you would prefer to play a game that was just generic graphics over a game that is stylized and every single graphic hand made
Old RPG games from the early 80s didnt even have as much as what im showing, you had to use your imagination.
Early RPGs might have had smaller sprites and fewer details, but those sprites were very clean and readable. I don't know what your rationale for this is, but it doesn't strike me as a very wise decision.
i dont know what paper sorcerer is
It's a dungeon crawler that looks like this:

you make it sound like these things are sooo abstract that you cant use your imagination to fill in the gaps. you cant make out what this monster is?
22228586_865246696967324_9192356540988159077_n.jpg

Alchemist

Arcane
Played this for a bit - I really like the art direction actually. The silhouette style to the sprites is a valid approach - lets your imagination fill in the blanks and the uncertain details of monsters adds to the game's atmosphere. I imagine with the author being a doom metal musician there is some inspiration from rock poster art going into this (limited colors, strong silhouettes). And of course vintage Ralph Bakshi animation:

nSa2ARj.jpg

Something I would suggest is to just try adding a bit more of the second mid-tone color on top of the black silhouettes to define the forms (like in the Bakshi still above). This will make them more readable, without sacrificing the overall cool silhouette style.

As a fan of doom metal, old RPGs, and 70's animation, I find a lot to like about this project. Looking forward to further developments!

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It looks nice, but in which way is this an Ultima-inspired game? All I can see is a more serious JRPG with better graphics.

When I think of an Ultima-inspired game I expect a simulationistic approach to gameplay and world-building (like interactive mundane objects, destructible vehicles, wind affecting navigation, having to mix reagents before casting each spell, and so on), a keyboard-based dialogue system, hidden karma metters, puzzles with more than a single solution and multiple opportunities to sequence-break quests, a not-so-abstract combat system (more distant menu-based Wizardry style combat ist verboten) and/or freedom to make counterproductive choices (with consequences). Does this game really qualify?

V_K

Arcane
you cant make out what this monster is?
Nope, not immediately. It takes effort to discern the shape from the background. That's what I'm saying.
(and that this shade of brown-orange makes my eyes bleed)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom