Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The City of Heroes Thread

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sykar

Full disclosure, all of my answers are based on personal experience and I never got far beyond level 20 before... so I won't be too in-depth. Xor can probably be of more assistance to both of us :D.

Temporary Powers
Are what they say. The only catch is that they're temporary in the sense of lasting a certain amount of time after activation, rather than after being acquired. So you can hold on to it as long as you want.

If you go to a power's jump menu (right-click it) and click the Info option you can see both an overview of what the power does and detailed information on it, including how long it lasts after being activated.

Prestige Slide/Rocket Jump/pets

They're just fancy looking sprints. Afaik they have no in-game effect outside of what Sprint does for you. Pets are cosmetic as well. Think WoW Sprite Darters etc.

Game difficulty

The game was designed with a sort of proto-WoW mindset... the first 15 levels or so are easy enough that you should never be in danger of dying or running out of Endurance, even solo. For one thing you won't have enough powers to spam to tax you :D. Theoretically I suppose you could make fantastically bad character creation choices that make those levels a living hell, but practically I don't see how you could pull it off (secondary powers are all damaging, so you'll always have some way to chunk mook mobs). After level 15 both individual mob power and dungeon difficulty will ramp up to the point that soloing can become painful depending on power choices, and grouping becomes much more preferred for dungeon quests.

Influence

You've probably already guessed that Influence is the game's currency. There are two general ways to spend it to begin with: Inspirations and Enhancements. Contacts sell Inspirations so you should never have a problem finding those if you need to buy them. Ask the contact about their store to open the shop menu. The first place you'll usually buy and sell Enhancements is inside Paragon City Hall (where Ms. Liberty is), in the basement. There are a couple Enhancement vendors down there where you can buy/sell generic enhancements. As far as making use of them, just levelling will cause the game to give you a decent explanation of their mechanics, you'll find out more about it as you go.

Inspirations are like pots in other mmorpgs. They're one-use items with an instant or short-term effect. They can be bought from Contacts, or dropped randomly by enemies. There's absolutely no reason to hoard them (beyond maybe keeping a small stash of healing/endurance for emergencies), just use them as you get them. If you want to see which ones you currently have click the word "Inspiration" on your powers bar, like you did to bring up your Power menu. Only one of those menus can be up at a time so if, for instance, you check your Powers menu, when you close it the Inspiration tab won't still be up, you'll have to re-open it.

Contact choice doesn't matter except to determine (1) the type of mobs you'll be facing in your next quest line and (2) where you'll be doing it. But for the first 15 levels or so it makes no difference whatsoever.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Temporary powers is a bit misleading, because many of them are quite permanent. But the idea originally was that you'd get a power from a mission that would have a certain number of charges or last a limited amount of time or whatever and that's how they came to fall under that name. It should say if you right click on the power if it has a limited duration, all the ones you start with from the veteran tokens don't.

The pets are cosmetic except for the leprechaun who gives +10% inf for some reason; that's probably something the rebirth devs need to address because there's no reason not to always have it out. All the other prestige travel powers are just fancier sprints they used to give you for sticking around and playing the game for a long time, or for buying them in the real money shop. This was a F2P game for several years, remember.

If you think the game's too easy, you can set your notoriety at a Field Analyst to raise the number of dudes you count as, or the level of enemies in a mission. That spikes up door missions quick. Protip, don't turn on solo AVs unless you're specifically built to take them down. It's fucking hard.

There is an auction house - it's Wentworth's for blueside and the black market for redside - but it's not well populated yet on rebirth. Once you hit level 10 you can go to the university in Steel Canyon (blue) or Port du Cable or whatever the fuck that zone is called (red) and do the invention tutorial to learn about invention origin enhancements which I recommend since they're generally better than regular enhancements; they don't scale with your level (hue) so you don't have to replace them as you level up. Once you know how they work I'd recommend waiting until 22 to do the tutorial on subsequent characters so you can get a 25 IO for free, since you get either a 15, 20, or 25 depending on your level.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
If you think the game's too easy, you can set your notoriety at a Field Analyst to raise the number of dudes you count as, or the level of enemies in a mission. That spikes up door missions quick. Protip, don't turn on solo AVs unless you're specifically built to take them down. It's fucking hard.

O damn I totally forgot about this system. Probably one of the best things about the game, idk why other mmos haven't adopted this kind of system and prefer to have the game be piss easy for the first 500 hours then finally at end game add some difficulty option

Sykar

Arcane
Having a blast on my Gravity/Time controller. Ragdolling enemies makes me smile. Will develop a couple of Teleport powers and plan on getting gadgets for a bit of extra DPS from drones and force barrier for some def. Those two power pools also fit well thematically with a super high tech suit scientist/engineer character. Maybe getting Invis, not sure how useful it is in combat.
Dipping that much into power pools might not be the best idea, will see how it goes during leveling.

Lhynn

Arcane
Im playing on Homecoming, mostly because i want to play with people and want to experience the real endgame and you cant do that with few people. Everlasting gets full on weekends.

A lot of them are degenerates, but some of them are alright.

Sykar

Arcane
Oh, I started on Rebirth, sounded like it is close to what the game was in its original state while Homecoming does some changes. Wanted to experience the game how it was originally first.

Sykar

Arcane
I just noticed that Rebirth does not offer gadgetry. Shame, would have loved running around with two drones.

"This information is about unimplemented features that were confirmed via one or more methods, but might have changed significantly before being released."

Never mind I am a moron for overlooking this...

Lhynn

Arcane
It will eventually make it into rebirth, theres a ton of content that was planned but never really released. So some testing is required before the different coh teams implement it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
CoH was genuinely the only time I got excited when I joined some rando group. You'd start fighting an be like 'Wait, you can't heal us? We're FUCKED!!!!' 'No I got this bro check it out' *All enemy damage gets reduced by 89%* 'Holy fuck that was awesome!'

Sykar

Arcane
Sounds good. Can controllers level solo reasonably well at later levels? Hit level 10 just now.

Not until you get pets at level 32 and from what I remember, gravity pet doesn't do much damage so even then you'll want to group. Grouping is way faster and more fun anyway

I usually enjoy doing a bit of both.
Btw I checked out the Homecoming server, the tutorial prologue is completely different as are the initial quests in Atlas Park. Seems like it offers more skins and the Sentinel AT as well. Rebirth has a curious quirk in that you seem to not be able to use skins which were originally supposed to be bought? Very noticeable with the aura effects, like half or more cannot be used since the client expects you to "buy" it.

Sykar

Arcane
Level 15 on my heroic Controller now. If anyone interested to team up with me leave me a message in this thread or pm. Also got a level 7 Corruptor.

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds good. Can controllers level solo reasonably well at later levels? Hit level 10 just now.

Not until you get pets at level 32 and from what I remember, gravity pet doesn't do much damage so even then you'll want to group. Grouping is way faster and more fun anyway

I usually enjoy doing a bit of both.
Btw I checked out the Homecoming server, the tutorial prologue is completely different as are the initial quests in Atlas Park. Seems like it offers more skins and the Sentinel AT as well. Rebirth has a curious quirk in that you seem to not be able to use skins which were originally supposed to be bought? Very noticeable with the aura effects, like half or more cannot be used since the client expects you to "buy" it.
Rebirth is using the veteran rewards system the way it was working on live, where you earn tokens the longer your account has been active (or on live, it would have been the longer you've been subscribed), except instead of 1/month they're giving 2/week so it doesn't take like 4 years to unlock everything. Also capes and auras unlocked at 20 and 30 respectively on live and required doing a quest, so that's another casual thing HC did.

Fucking casuals.

Sykar

Arcane
what's your char name? I'll add you. Mine's Kalarion (forgot to make some kind of heroic name :D).

Sykarion, yes I was very creative there. I also made a Corruptor, Defender and Mastermind because I was curious how they play. Want to make one more character, stealth melee. I must say if I had not met my wife through WoW I'd regret not playing this and playing WoW instead. CoH was definetly way ahead of its time. In fact it still is in some regards imho.

Sykar

Arcane
Null sweat. I made my 6th character, a blaster. Kinda from Marvel comics Cable inspired cyborg soldier with Beam Rifles and Psychic Assault. Character creation is a lot of fun in this game. Controller is still main and soon security level 20.

Sykar

Arcane
Is there a web page for the server status of Rebirth by the way? In game it said that the maintenance should have taken 30 minutes but it is more like 4 hours now and I still cannot reach the server.

Xor

Arcane
Is there a web page for the server status of Rebirth by the way? In game it said that the maintenance should have taken 30 minutes but it is more like 4 hours now and I still cannot reach the server.
Your best bet right now is the discord.

Some of you may be wondering about the extended downtime. In testing the server before announcing it was back online, our sysadmin found that he was unable to connect, nor was anyone he asked to try and connect to test. At first he believed there was a problem with the update he made to the server software, but this proved not to be the case.

On further investigation, our sysadmin discovered that one of our routers was breached recently while he was spending time with his family. There is NO indication the breach went deeper than this router - the actual game server was not breached - but the router's connection information was tampered with so that after the server was restarted for maintenance, connections to the server failed. The admin has identified the vulnerability exploited to cause the breach and is taking steps to correct it.

The desktop image of the router was also replaced with a picture of our sysadmin's front door, taken from Google street view. There is no further evidence of a threat to his personal safety, so he is working to get the server back online ASAP. He has made a copy of the router data in the state he found it in and will be investigating what legal action can be taken.

We sincerely apologize for the extended downtime. Our sysadmin is working as hard as possible to get you all back to patrolling and/or terrorizing the streets of Paragon City!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom