Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Business: The Alpha Protocol Trailer

Solohk

Scholar
Note: those denying the existence of robots, may be robots themselves.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Anthony, what are the plans on the camera with this one? Will this also obstruct our vision as a default feature?

If so, you should be rapppppppppped (for crisppppy).

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Grifman said:
Lesifoere said:
It looks incredibly Hollywoodian. And more movie than game. Not far to judge from such a brief trailer, perhaps, but even then...

Uh, isn't that what most game trailers look like? Most don't show actual gameplay.

Which is why most game trailers are worth fuck-all.

Disconnected

Scholar
racofer said:
Anthony, what are the plans on the camera with this one? Will this also obstruct our vision as a default feature?
Not at all. Clipping & camera controls will be so well done it'll make you cum. As an added bonus, the camera will only rotate around the x-axis, and every menu button will have a 62.01 second delay.

- Ah, I don't fucking care. I'm not playing any Obsidian games until they find a publisher that actually sells games. Fucking Atari.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Disconnected said:
racofer said:
Not at all. Clipping & camera controls will be so well done it'll make you cum. As an added bonus, the camera will only rotate around the x-axis, and every menu button will have a 62.01 second delay.

- Ah, I don't fucking care. I'm not playing any Obsidian games until they find a publisher that actually sells games. Fucking Atari.

This.

Actually the engine for AP is Unreal, except that we modified the engine to fuck up the camera.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Anthony Davis said:
Disconnected said:
racofer said:

This.

Actually the engine for AP is Unreal, except that we modified the engine to fuck up the camera.

Glad to know Obsidian doesn't disappoint. I will show my support getting the drm free version of the game.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
racofer said:
Anthony Davis said:
Disconnected said:
racofer said:

This.

Glad to know Obsidian doesn't disappoint. I will show my support getting the drm free version of the game.

In all seriousness, in case my boss reads this, the camera seems fine. It is slightly off the shoulder 3rd person. The camera seems fine to me.

Also, for NX2 we have added a THIRD camera option called Exploration Mode which is basically all the settings for NWN1. You could already set the camera settings to NWN1 if you weren't a mouth breathing knuckle dragger, but now it is so easy even a Codexer can do it. ;-)

Now I am being for real serious. I think the new camera modes for NX2 are a pretty cool improvement. We have a set of toggle buttons on the GUI now so that you can tell at a glance what camera mode you are in. If you toggle it either through the buttons or the keyboard, it is reflected in the GUI.

Disconnected

Scholar
My main beef with the cam in NWN isn't that NWN2 thoroughly botched the NWN1 cam, but rather that the NWN1 & 2 cam seems like some sort of compromise between isometric & first person, without offering the utility/viewing pleasure & ease of use of either.

Slightly unrelated:

If your boss is a humourless bastard, you probably didn't help yourself any by implying it.

This particular knuckle-dragger is pretty sure he saw a "NWN1 cam" button in NX1.

The GUI cam feedback thing sounds cool. Cooler still if you release it as a mod for NWN1 on the vault.

I'm still not buying anything Atari. You (and company) have no reason what so ever to worry about what I think. Unless you divorce yourself from that shit publisher, that is.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Anthony Davis said:
racofer said:
Anthony Davis said:
Disconnected said:
racofer said:

This.

In all seriousness, in case my boss reads this, the camera seems fine. It is slightly off the shoulder 3rd person. The camera seems fine to me.

Also, for NX2 we have added a THIRD camera option called Exploration Mode which is basically all the settings for NWN1. You could already set the camera settings to NWN1 if you weren't a mouth breathing knuckle dragger, but now it is so easy even a Codexer can do it. ;-)

Now I am being for real serious. I think the new camera modes for NX2 are a pretty cool improvement. We have a set of toggle buttons on the GUI now so that you can tell at a glance what camera mode you are in. If you toggle it either through the buttons or the keyboard, it is reflected in the GUI.

I thought NWN was a piece of shit, (heresy!), and played it only very briefly, many years ago, so I'm not sure what that camera mode actually entails. Something closer to isometric view? What's the difference between it and NWN2's strategy camera?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BIO's most successful game is NWN. Shows how much brainwashed Codexian and Obsidianites matter - not much at all, actually.

R00fles!

P0.S. NW's camera is not even remotely 1st person unless you ar eidioitc enough to play it that way. That's just dumb. It's more isometric than the BGs. All it does is give you more control over it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
If NWN2 had NWN1's interface (by that I mean hud, camera, radial menu) I would be sold. But it doesn't, and instead everything was replaced with shit. The delay to right-click things was the most idiotic feature I've ever seen in any game's interface.

I'm with Volly on this one tho, NWN is the most successful game from Bioware, mainly because of the well implemented multiplayer system (which btw NWN2 butchered beyond repair).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NWN being BIO's most successful game isn't my opinion (well, it is, but my opinion is irrelevant in this case); it's BIO's opinion.

Disconnected

Scholar
Volourn said:
NW's camera is not even remotely 1st person unless you ar eidioitc enough to play it that way. That's just dumb.
Depends on the situation. Semi-FPP is, for various reasons, often preferable to semi-iso during multiplayer. But NWN fanboy that you are, I'm sure you know this better than I.

It's more isometric than the BGs. All it does is give you more control over it.
... I forgot how fucking dumb you are.

Anyway, I wasn't in any way trying to imply any NWN game or expansion has fewer camera controls than the IE games. I was asking why the devs felt it necessary to multiply the camera controls by 4. I'm sure they all understand what the KISS principle is, and thus must assume there is a reason. Whatever it may be, however, it eludes me entirely. Hence the question.

Texas Red

Whiner
I'm getting pretty tired of the camera complaints. I'm playing on a system that lags half the time and I have NEVER felt that the camera is a hindrance.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not enough boobs in movie. You should release more wanking material.

Now serious question: Will your facial animations be on par with bloodlines/steam engine. I didn't play unreal 3 so I don't know engine capabilities.

If it's all in-game renders I saw fear in orc's... lady's eyes. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom