Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Eidolons: Netherflame - a dark hardcore turn-based RPG

EiDemiurge

Wyrmring
Developer
Can you elaborate? Do you mean how much time there is to complete a dungeon run? Or time to make a turn in combat? (neither have any limit atm)

EiDemiurge

Wyrmring
Developer
Thanks, Abu! You might have noticed I'm getting some 'help' in PR - no time to tweet myself, I'm crunching on the demo. Like to think it's somewhat more important!

EiDemiurge

Wyrmring
Developer
Yeah, those axes should be brutal.. But the really good news is that we've tested the early demo tonight and it seems to work fine, so now I'll just iterate the hell out of it. UI is still clunky though, so prepare your old-school hardcore gaming mindset :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Indiegogo delayed again to May 29th: https://eidemiurge.itch.io/eidolons...first-boss-many-new-things-and-another-delay-

§24 - The Demo crunch, the first Boss, many new things and... another delay :)

Hello friends!

TL;DR - we are looking for testers!

I hope you have been enjoying the spring’s soft touches! Here they are yet too soft to feel, alas - it's been snowing in fact!

Meanwhile, my crunch on the Eidolons demo has been going full speed for 3 weeks, but it turned out that some of the special features I designed for the demo are more difficult to polish than I thought - as our testing revealed!

Speaking of which - we are looking for 10 more dedicated testers, at this point it's more on the hardcore side (there is no tutorial *yet*), if you feel you're up for this - reach out to me here or at justmeakk@gmail.com! :)

Anyway, with all this in mind, I have decided to take some additional time so I can deliver a more even experience. The final date for our crowdfunding - and demo - launch is set to 29th May

Good News
The good news is - we are going to have at least one *real* boss after all in the demo!
Not exactly the same as what the Netherflame Campaign will have, but with all the best parts - large, 3d, scary and with a few surprises under his belt!

I don’t want to spoil it too much for you, so I will only give this mysterious preview so you will have the right idea and feeling about him :)

QhrePf.jpg

Tutorial
One other thing this delay gives us in our demo is the tutorial. Between myself and the few hardcore players testing the game,

It was easy for me to forget how much it matters - for people wanting to grasp the intricacies but not inclined to experiment and die repeatedly in their gaming. If you count yourself among these - fear not, Eidolons will offer the option of taking it slow at first.

1fAlLY.jpg

Why not just cut the scope?
To be clear, this decision was not made lightly. I could have cut the scope or the features of the demo, but I have a precise vision of the demo, and don’t want to compromise too much on it - I hope that you will excuse the delays for this!
In fact I intend to continue working on it all the way through the campaign, and by the end of it, deliver the second part and a more polished experience to all the backers!

For me, Eidolons has been a labor of passion for a long time, so I want the demo to give you this feeling even if it is far from a complete game. I want you to have a real taste of the game, its vision, and enjoy a challenge with a lot of adventuring, real objectives and, of course, a struggle to test your skills and patience.

It’s already doing this for me - in all this time, I have to say, I’ve never developed quite like this! Times like these are good for learning one’s limits.

8O5JZe.jpg

The Progress
Eidolons now has a whole array of new amazing tracks by Pika Pilke inspired by the short story the demo is based on. And we’re also working on sound design - weapons, armor, screams and monster sounds I couldn’t give name to...

Indeed, time seems to compress in on itself when in crunch. It feels to me like I’ve been working on this demo for months now!

Some have expressed concerns about my health on this crunch - but there’s no need to worry, the (slowly) awakening nature and the great excitement keep me well, and will continue to do so.

I will keep up the pace, and you stay tuned!

E4gqsI.jpg

EiDemiurge

Wyrmring
Developer
Thanks for updating this thread Infinitron! I've practically forgotten everything in the crunch, but I really think it's the right thing to do at this time.
And again - the important part is we're looking for testers! you might just get most of the backer-demo-experience for free if you sign up :) (just ping me on https://discord.gg/ryYzKqn or at justmeakk@gmail.com)

EiDemiurge

Wyrmring
Developer
Well, that's what testing is for really, as an indie dev I've no other way even to say what the minimum specs are, haven't got too many pcs of my own here :) Anyway, the proposition stands!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Wow...this looks boring as fuck (from the current vids).

A more appropriate name would be like...I dunno

Eidolons, Square Clicker: The Game.

Zep--

EiDemiurge

Wyrmring
Developer
Damn, I forgot to make those private man, you got me with my pants down :) It's gonna be better in the final version though. Not that I had much time for vfx and the fluff of course

mindfields

Learned
Hey some questions;
1) How deep in character system, how many races, classes, spells etc does it have?
2) Will it be on GOG?

EiDemiurge

Wyrmring
Developer
Hey, let me see:
1) The real game will have 9 class trees (with ranks and perks, see this and this for more details), 40 skill trees and 20 spell schools. The demo has 4 characters that make use of about 10-20% of that pool.
Also here is a hero screen from the demo.

2) I am not sure yet about GoG, but I do not intend to go for any exclusives, so as soon as I have time to set things up, I'll reach to as many platforms as I can! It's sure to be on itch if you don't like steam much.

EiDemiurge

Wyrmring
Developer
well this is not a strategy game, if combat was as straightforward as in DisII we'd have little depth. Still, with the numbers we have, it's the same spirit of every-action-matters, and the idea of waiting for the right moment to act is also very much present. Anyway, I never aimed at modeling Disciples’ gameplay to be honest, but I think it is fair to say that combat in Eidolons is a mix of Disciples (numbers and style), HoMM V (atb) and DnD (rules). Well, maybe one should mention Eador also as an inspiration, but few people know about it alas.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom