Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Three Kingdoms - the next major historical Total War title set in ancient China

ZeniBot

Cipher
I've come to expect this same repeating bullshit over and over with regards to CA's community. They are so long gone now there's no convincing them their games are shit.
Hope people are gonna be happy when CA pushes the Chinese market constantly going forward over time all you're convincing them is that they don't need to change at all and they can keep pulling the same shit over and over with no consequence.
And because the game sold so well means the death of Historical Total War I really doubt they'll ever do historical again just because their last Historical title flopped so hard.

I also think majority of the reviews are just side tracked by Theme alone. I'm not hearing anything about this game that promotes itself, all I'm hearing is the same usual crap we've seen since Empire just with a hero system and a new diplo system.

Edit: Reading the forums tells a very different story. People pissed at CA for misleading them on Yellow Turban DLC, People pissed because the UI can't scale. Yeah this is normally what happens. Usually you have to get to Turn 100 before you realise what a terrible purchase this was. Don't let the buyers remorse hit you too hard on the way out.

Last edited:

Athos

Arcane
Total War series is the Call of Duty of strategy games now, the fanbase will follow the same dynamics of excitation and disappointment as the CoD fanboys. Since CA doesn't have really a competitor for the kind of games they make I don't think they will suffer seriously in the near future as long as they offer a half-decent multiplayer for the kids to teabag each other while CA pretends to reinvent the wheel each time.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Only thing I'm hoping is that they move so far away from what they were good at that it opens up competition then. That's why I hope they abandon Historical completely. We've got Ultimate Admiral coming out which is looking like an Empire Total War clone anyway so I'm more hyped for that. I also mentioned Knights of Honor 2 in the other thread which is looking great as well. Both games are being developed to spite CA with Admiral being comprised of disgruntled ex-total war modders and KON2 being developed by disgruntled CryTek developers annoyed that CA now owns their former company and previous game (there's a tweet where they basically state they want no association with CA's KON)

You would've thought Paradox would stop with the circlejerking and just charge CA head fucking on but no.
We've also got Bannerlord coming never ever. (and Absent Paradox MASSIVE FUCKING INCLINE THERE!) But if it does come out this year then I'll officially never need a Total War game ever again.

Ultimate Admiral looking like a scaled down Empire mixed with Sid Meire's Pirates. Really like what is going on there.

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Cipher
And because the game sold so well means the death of Historical Total War I really doubt they'll ever do historical again just because their last Historical title flopped so hard.

Medieval 3 would be a slam dunk for CA, they aren't abandoning that unless they hate money. Look how well Rome 2 is doing despite being a complete disaster initially. It's pretty crazy how active the Med2 community is after all these years.

ZeniBot

Cipher
The DLC for Attila and Thrones of Britannia were basically Medieval 3 anyway. You people would eat up any shit they serve you at this point.
Rome 2 only proved that for corrupt AAA companies you can just PR your way to success. Look at how well that approach worked for Bethesda. CA is heading down the same path.
CA's Fallout 76 moment will be their first attempt at Console Total War. Fucking calling it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Holy shit!

Have they finally managed to make melee infantry able to walk through archers so that you can actually put archers front row at the beginning, as it should be?
(video is stopped at the time to show it)

tabacila

Augur
No. Seems to me similar to how it's happening in WH. Probably a little faster, but maybe he's playing the popamole Romance version?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I suspect that's more because the game doesn't have proper strict formations in the first place, just mobs of infantry.

tabacila

Augur

I don't remember Shogun, the other Asian mono-culture setting, ever having such bland units. I can see why the pumped up the characters up to eleven for the romance mode...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I don't remember Shogun, the other Asian mono-culture setting, ever having such bland units. I can see why the pumped up the characters up to eleven for the romance mode...

Every chinese looks the same to whites. You need proper Asian to discern differences.

digditties

Barely Literate
A game about Three Kingdoms yet I don't see any halberd and crossbow unit combinations so far from any videos combined with the fact that they somehow homogenized a large land mass (Even though it doesn't include Korea or Vietnam, wtf the Wei fought like multiple wars in korea,etc) in which people didn't even speak the same language and the south was still being colonized by the Han from a bunch of other indigenous groups. Also where are the nomadic groups too? So they made all the ethnic han factions cookie cutter same with the unit diversity of dogshit and ignore the fact that the southeast is a giant jungle of doom with shit like malaria and it was only later that most of the aboriginal groups got assimilated into the han group.

For the sake of gameplay I wouldn't mind cutting down all the diversity or "bloat" for an experience like Shogun 2 (Not for every game though) but the combat plays like a nuetered warhammer 2 with no magic nukes and flying shit or other rediculous shit and the campaign includes dogshit mechanics from Imperator Rome such as "Oh, I'm too big, I guess I can't ally a smaller country. Just wait till they add a bunch of campaign mana to Total War also.

Perhaps get this game for a good mod or something 4 years in the future with everything on sale. Or just pirate it. I'm dissapointed in all of the east asians shilling this Britbong game when it doesn't even do a good representation of the region nor period.
:d1p:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't remember Shogun, the other Asian mono-culture setting, ever having such bland units

... There were three tiers of unit: ashigaru, samurai and monk. Most unit types had one of each (with the exception of swordsmen), so Yari Ashigaru, Yari Samurai and Naginata Warrior Monks, for example.

It's pretty similar in 3K, as far as I've seen.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't remember Shogun, the other Asian mono-culture setting, ever having such bland units

... There were three tiers of unit: ashigaru, samurai and monk. Most unit types had one of each (with the exception of swordsmen), so Yari Ashigaru, Yari Samurai and Naginata Warrior Monks, for example.

It's pretty similar in 3K, as far as I've seen.
Oda had: Oda Aishigaru.
Bow Ashigaru
Bow Samurai
Yari Samurai
Naginata Samurai
Katana Samurai
Light cavalry
Katana cavalry
Yari cavalry
Arkebuze Ashigaru
Arkebuze Samurai
Warrior monks yari
Warrior monks bow
Crazy persons bomb throwers who thew theirs bombs damaged theirs own walls, and killed friendly units on walls with minimum loses to the enemy under walls. Otherwise great units.
Catapults.
And Ninja special units that were REALLY hard to not getting killed.

While in Samurai 2 clans had only one or two special units, they had some decent variety of normal units. In practice maintenance costs and time of training of samurai units basically forced to have 6 Ashigaru units to 2 Samurai units. But these two Samurai, or monk, units could have some variety.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I mean... when I look at the available unit list of a random lvl 6 character in 3K, it's about as long as the one you've just posted.

Seethe

Arbiter
Game sold this well because it strokes the Chinese nationalist ego. The vast majority of Steam reviews are chinese, lol. In fact, I'm surprised it doesn't have like 500k players right now

Endemic

Arcane
Is it any good? Or should I just keep playing Koei's take on ROTK instead?

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
This was always going to live or die via china sales, I guess they banked on the right horse cos china is the future of vidya gaems!!

I dont care what CA does now, as long as we get a good WH3 to finish off the series.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If you look at steam and disable the language filter you will see that most of the reviews are in chink. No doubt that say 80% of players are Chinese dudes,which is natural,if the game was totalwar Bulgarian empire i to would have played it.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
totalwar Bulgarian empire
DaoVruc.jpg

The great king of Bulgaria surveys his domain.

Aemar

Arcane
That's not a laundry pile, it's the Great Hall of Trophies, where the great king stockpiles only the finest items taken from his vanquished enemies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom