Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Greatest RPG Story

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Realms of Arkania HD
I know it's a Meme at this point, but RoA (HD or not) has a really great story.

A scavenger hunt in a huge, atmospheric world to prevent - or at least curb - a war.

No 'Chosen One', no 'Ancient Evil' that awakes, just adventuring, with many secrects to discover and fitting quests.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I find this hard to answer because I'm struggling with the difference between good "story" and just good writing. When I think of movies with the best stories the whole presentation comes into it, acting, visuals, etc. It's different from a good script. So with games I'd say stuff like New Vegas, Krondor and obviously Planescape have the best writing, but the best story? Not sure any of them would hit that for me.

I might answer Arcanum. It has the coolest setting, good writing, solid characters, an epic feel and great overall presentation.

I might also mention Mass Effect 1, which is maybe the best "it's like a movie!" RPG out there whether you value that kind of achievement or not.

S.torch

Arbiter

Andhaira

Arcane
As blasphemous as it may sound JRPGs typically have far superior stories to Western and Western Style (now that eastern nations are taking up the standard) RPGs

In fact, this thread isn't as shit as it may seem at first glance; it just made me think that over nearly 30+ years, no RPG has a story that really stands out. Most are, quite frankly, crap. Surprising when you consider stories are supposed to be a strong point with RPGs, but most devolve into a chosen one saving the world, one fed-ex quest at a time.

The ones I can really recall are Dragon Age Origins, Baldur's Gate I & II & Icewind Dale; out of those DA:O was the better one.

Falksi

Arcane
The greatest story ina RPG is not the one where you follow a story, but the one where you write a story. So is Age of Decadence (and lots of more)! But that doesn't make FFX a great story RPG, cause it doesn't have any choices nor consequences, you just follow an adventure.

I love a good dose of C&C, The Witcher 2 & DA:O are 2 of my fave games because it's done so well in both. But ultimately any RPG is about the adventure you go on, and to me if that's a good journey then how much you're involved in deciding the outcomes of that matter little.

I get that some folk want to be involved more, so why they might tire of none-C&C games. My personal pet hate are games which pretend to be C&C but who's options all result in the same outcome. However I can easily just sit back and be sucked in by a linear adventure if it's done well enough. And to me FFX is one of the best.

circuit breaker

Educated
The Witcher 1 turned me onto all of Sapkowski's Witcher novels.
Kotor II was just too cool for being Star Wars.
Mask of the Betrayer was weird in all of the right ways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom