Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blobbers with good stories and a smaller focus on combat?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Dragon Wars felt story-oriented (and puzzle oriented) for a blobber. It even had those long passages of copy-protection in the manual written by a professional fantasy author (I think), but it's been years since I played it. You might want to give it a try.

Deleted Member 16721

Arcana for the SNES was sort of story-driven. It's a JRPG but a blobber too, and is a pretty good game worth a look.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Legacy: Realm of Terror, sorta-kinda - while there are monsters, it's way too dangerous and resource-consuming to go in guns blazing, at least in the first half of the game. Instead, you're supposed to avoid or flee from monsters, and eventually find ways to make them non-threatening.
I just took poker, cast Agatha's Fist and killed every zombie. :mca:
Great game, I finished it three times. It had interesting story, I remember spending a lot of time trying to decipher it from papers, books and other thingies found in game. Had an entire room on third level dedicated to that.

hackncrazy

Savant
Even though I like blobbers gameplay, I sometimes feel that the extreme randomization plays more against the balance of it. That's why I prefer something like Grimrock for two reasons: a) the encounters don't get in the way of exploration and b) the experience feels more balance without the need to grind.

mindfields

Learned
Blobbers exist for fun combat, unique party composition and powergaming, the less story they have the better.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Even though I like blobbers gameplay, I sometimes feel that the extreme randomization plays more against the balance of it. That's why I prefer something like Grimrock for two reasons: a) the encounters don't get in the way of exploration and b) the experience feels more balance without the need to grind.

If you need to grind you are doing something wrong.
And balance is not important in a single player game. Also, randomization increases replayability.

hackncrazy

Savant
And balance is not important in a single player game.

What the hell? In what world balance is not important? I thought that a well balanced experience was close to #1 requirement in a RPG.

Also, randomization increases replayability.

I agree partially here. A roguelike has infinite replayability, but not only because of randomization, but mostly because they generally offers a ton of different classes which play very different from each other. But here's the catch: In a roguelike, you lose 100% of time time because of some mistake you've made (ok 99,9% because of a gnome with a wand of death). In a blobber, when you have your party wiped out by a random encounter, it can be something totally out of your control because a) you entered the battle without prior knowledge of anything (as the random encounter is the norm) and b) you can be ambushed and have your party destroyed by something you couldn't have predicted. (not to mention the occasions where you try to run from a battle and fails and your party gets destroyed the same way).

I understand that some people think that this is fun gameplay, and I'm happy to know that this has followers. But I don't think is an extremely well made game system. From the things that mindfields pointed, I think that unique party composition is something that really is nice on blobbers and should be more encouraged

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Some randomization is cool because if you want the rewards from an hard random encounter then you're going to consume your resources because you know reloading won't trigger the encounter again.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dragon Wars felt story-oriented (and puzzle oriented) for a blobber. It even had those long passages of copy-protection in the manual written by a professional fantasy author (I think), but it's been years since I played it. You might want to give it a try.
It was not only a copy protection per se. It was a method of game's size economy (I just checked and paragraphs are 98 kilobytes. That's a lot of space. I still remember my joy when found 800.com program and formatted 360 Kb floppies as 400 Kb) and, partly, vestige of CYOA books.

The galleries are crammed with fools, each exiled here for their inability
to follow directions. The fantasy is only so real as you allow it to be, and while
at times life may seem a fool's errand, it is only what you make of it. There is
little sense in cheating yourself at solitaire.
:salute:

What the hell? In what world balance is not important? I thought that a well balanced experience was close to #1 requirement in a RPG.
Balance leads only to eliminating fun, albeit cheesy, tactics, items and spells. Cane of Corpus would be a first victim now.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Amiga version looks outstanding.

It does look (and sound) better on Amiga but I played it on my C64 the year it came out. The 1st person screen is actually noticeably bigger on C64 than in the Amiga version, and all the doors seem the proper full size. In the Amiga version (at least in emulation) the doors seem tall and... squished. That bothers me a lot for some reason. But Amiga's probably the way to go. However, if you use WinUAE, make certain that you select the proper video sync standard for your Dragon Wars rom version (NTSC 60 Hz vs PAL 50 Hz). Otherwise it will crash like crazy.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Realms of Arkania II and III let you skip combat by having the computer figure out who wins the fight.

I'll also second Grimoire with encounter rate set to zero, as well Might & Magic III for fast, easy combat.

hackncrazy

Savant
Some randomization is cool because if you want the rewards from an hard random encounter then you're going to consume your resources because you know reloading won't trigger the encounter again.

Some randomization is ok, but thats not whatwe see generally. how the 10th fight against the same shitty mob can be fun?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Realms of Arkania II and III let you skip combat by having the computer figure out who wins the fight.

I'll also second Grimoire with encounter rate set to zero, as well Might & Magic III for fast, easy combat.

Is it possible to finish the game with those settings? Not that I would try it, because having no combat is as annoying as having to fight on every step.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I should have said random encounters turned off, as there are combat encounters you need to have. That's actually how I played it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom