Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SIGIL - 5th episode of Doom by John Romero

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Bout time, no doubt someone will dump the WAD after they get their copy so we won't even have to wait the week to try it.
I wonder if there will be a Brutal Doom mod for it, in the future?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bout time, no doubt someone will dump the WAD after they get their copy so we won't even have to wait the week to try it.
I wonder if there will be a Brutal Doom mod for it, in the future?

It's a normal Doom wad so you will be able to defile it with Brutal Derp from day 1 if you so desire.

This. And since Brutal Doom v21 'Gold' has just been released, there's even time to add the 'extra' features of BD to the Sigil wad, including scenery and terrain features.

Astral Rag

Arcane
17294B75D192214ECBBBC069EA85D2D78469F4A1

E55774311CF02C05AB64C872BD19747E298A6BF1
E1234FC6B1FF95F4033E618DD9F3A6DDE07F41F7

66B3437A902C449F07224208250AF14D842464A9

814EBD70EC25414B165DE54062B1D3CF31B5194B

5DAAB66E8E1BC87713A50E23AA3612DD10E1C8A1

1A05002964F5A4803EB471D58E7EFBC2E371E1F5
:incline:

Last edited:
That end of level switch on Sheol fucking murdered me. Ran around for an ungodly amount of time, was pretty sure I'd even run into there at some point before too due to the hint, but apparently not far enough to trigger it or some fucking thing. Didn't have a big drive for it since snagging the mega health and mega armor from the secrets. :argh:

Astral Rag

Arcane
IMO Sigil (aka Knee-Deep in the Lava) is good but it's not in the same league as the Cacoward-tier wads or the original 3 Doom Episodes.

The levels I've played (first 4 maps) were all small, cramped and linear. There are a lot of small platforms and narrow pathways and an (over)abundance of lava, this got old fast. This is down to personal preference though, I know others like that kind of maps. I prefer less claustrophobic maps with a higher monster count (100-250) that have a good mix of exploration and challenging, mostly larger scale, encounters and more varied surroundings.

The encounters are well thought out for the most part and they are often challenging despite the low monster count*.

I like the overall look (even though it is getting samey) and atmosphere of the wad but so far I much prefer his previous efforts.

*monster count UV:
m1:33
m2:34
m3:62
m4:76
m5:111
m6:68
m7:151
m8:25
m9:66

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
So, after all this time, Romero ports Doom 3 into Doom 1 engine, now that is disappointing.

schru

Arcane
The points he brought up do not in themselves indicate that the gameplay is bad and, described that way, it could even be quite fun, what with limited ammunition and challenges based around the first game's bestiary. Excessive darkness might also simply be the result of inappropriate renderer settings. His comment about fighting barons of hell with just the shot-gun being among the least fun things also betrays a questionable appreciation of the game.

Still, he says he likes the original and fan maps, so he might just have been unable to articulate what felt bad about it, and illustrated his frustration poorly.

Dayyālu

Arcane
The main problem is that the Doom community is by itself monstrous. We're talking almost 30 years of autists developing maps and refining gameplay and most of them being tested again and again and again against a community of likewise-minded autists.

How can Romero even compete? He can have started it all, but seriously, 30 years of wads and gameplay mods. I will try it though, one needs to judge personally. The double barons door thing, tho, that smells Doom3 so fucking much.

Jezal_k23

Did someone honestly expect some sort of top tier groundbreaking cacodemon award worthy masterpiece rather than an episode that looks and feels like an extension of Ultimate Doom?

Parsifarka

Arcane
The double barons door thing, tho, that smells Doom3 so fucking much.
Probably you meant Final Doom. There's nothing wrong with that trick; if you run mindlessly into a room instead of backwards every time you open a door, you have been playing Doom in baby difficulty.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Probably you meant Final Doom. There's nothing wrong with that trick; if you run mindlessly into a room instead of backwards every time you open a door, you have been playing Doom in baby difficulty.

Nope, it reminds me of the last time I've played Doom3 and half of the doors had a goddamn Imp placed right after it, jumping immediately. I fear thinking someone did that dozens of times, truly a triumph of design in the already crappy Doom3.

I don't remember surprise zero-distance Barons/Knights even in UV difficulty, usually there's always some space to let you maneuver even in cramped corridors (case in point, the teleport corridor trap in Tricks&Traps). It's simply shitty design and reload abuse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom