Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo i am replaying Gothic 2,but the game constantly freezes. Any idea about a fix or a reason why?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
On my first time playing Gothic 2 I got CTD during cutscenes, but I had no such problems on my second time around. What patches are you using?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just the normal gold edition from gog 2.7. I too don't remember having such problems last time i replayed it.....last year.

EDIT: Never mind mate,it fixed itself.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
If I'm getting shot at and can't get to what's shooting at me maybe I'd hide behind an obstacle or run away.
That would require actual AI though.
The argument of "heh just learn to play" falls apart when you realize I'm advocating for making it more difficult.

Feel free to list all those RPGs where that actually happens.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just the normal gold edition from gog 2.7. I too don't remember having such problems last time i replayed it.....last year.

don't you dare help someone else out with the same problem...

EDIT: sorry my bad, read "itself" as "myself"

he expects the highly scripted half-life marines AI in an open world game

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I just copied the files and deleted the game. Then i installed it from different source. From what i read,it happens because game have conflict with a different process and freezes. It is really weird issue,i remember a few years ago that sometimes it happened and some times it didn't. A restart or clear install maybe could mix up the processes that it doesn't happen.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I just copied the files and deleted the game. Then i installed it from different source. From what i read,it happens because game have conflict with a different process and freezes. It is really weird issue,i remember a few years ago that sometimes it happened and some times it didn't. A restart or clear install maybe could mix up the processes that it doesn't happen.
Ok i found where the problem is. It is shit with multi core CPUs. You have to start the game,load a save,then open the task manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del,then find the process,right click set affinity,disable all the CPUs except one and the the game runs fine.

typical user

Arbiter
Playing this. Controls are clunky, not just combat but jumping from uneven terrain. People talk to much, it's like the devs try to explain you things, the problem is NPCs are willing to tell you their whole fucking lives when I didn't even asked for it. Got beaten up by guard for bringing his beer, no, one-shotted. Feels like home.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Okay... first impressions

The opening story premise is very meh
Graphics look outdated af with terrible bump maps but w/e, not important to me so just noting it
Controls, movement, melee combat etc. feel weird and uncalibrated
I liked the usual openness and "go anywhere, die from 1 hit" thing
UI in general is obviously designed with consoles in focus but I can live with it
Binary and ternary dialogue choices are a huge thumbs down
Dialogue has the most generic lines possible and listening to some of these lifeless actors is like Chinese water torture

So yeah... I doubt it'll be fun slogging through voice overs and clunky controls for whichever "prize" might lie beyond

Morkar Left

I would recommend to up damage output for you and the enemies in the setting. It makes for a more fluid game in the beginning.

Latelistener

Arcane
People talk to much, it's like the devs try to explain you things, the problem is NPCs are willing to tell you their whole fucking lives when I didn't even asked for it.
The problem is that they're spending money on all these animations (plus cutscenes), but clearly cannot reach the bare minimum required to call it at least "passable".

They should make a smaller, tighter game without any cutscenes or dialogue animations and concentrate completely on making combat fluid and great (again) and then try to expand it like they did with Gothic 1 and 2.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I skipped Risen 2 & 3 based on reviews here. Picked this up on the GoG sale. I'm 10 hours in and haven't finished the Berserker foreplay quests. Took a hike all the way to the ocean in the valley, surrounded by shit that could one shot me. Finally found a gate so I can get back, and fucked off back to Goliet. I'm getting proper PB feels. So far so good.

Seems like it takes quite a while before you can really spend skill points on primary skills eh?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You forget one thing: stats don't matter.
well , it only matters as far as the requirement of equipments you want to use, but yeah it generally don't matter

Just like Gothic :smug:

Btw the worst thing about the controls is when u push the run button there's a short lag before the dumbfuck actually starts running. That was driving me crazy.

Murk

Arcane
There's inertia in general in the game -- when you stop moving forward you don't come to a dead stop either, the animation finishes out.

Jax also reacts to physical objects near him when walking/running.

Seems like they were trying to go for some ambient physical space thing in general, even with the light adaptation when you enter/leave dark areas.

Anyway, Elex is great. Join the Outlaws, blow shit up.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Okay... first impressions

The opening story premise is very meh
Graphics look outdated af with terrible bump maps but w/e, not important to me so just noting it
Controls, movement, melee combat etc. feel weird and uncalibrated
I liked the usual openness and "go anywhere, die from 1 hit" thing
UI in general is obviously designed with consoles in focus but I can live with it
Binary and ternary dialogue choices are a huge thumbs down
Dialogue has the most generic lines possible and listening to some of these lifeless actors is like Chinese water torture

So yeah... I doubt it'll be fun slogging through voice overs and clunky controls for whichever "prize" might lie beyond

It gets better.

Piranha Bytes games work the opposite of most games, they start shit but finish strong.

Stick with it.

The first 1/3rd of the game you will get ABSOLUTELY BRUTALISED by the smallest rat things, that was the worst part for me. Combat early on consists of running away as quickly as possible and finding another way around. Then after finding a companion, it's mostly about lining them up between you and the enemy and letting them take a beating while you damage the enemy. By the time you are finally able to use anything beyond the starting weapons you will be pretty much unstoppable.

EELIX!

Morkar Left

Piranha Bytes games work the opposite of most games, they start shit but finish strong.

I would strongly disagree. The end always the worst part of PB games and the beginning and middle of the game is best.
The beginning mostly because you don't haver a clue how to do shit and you have to level up. the middle because there you got better and can tackle things that were impossible at the start. the end game is usually just rushing to the end dungeon to finish the story.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's inertia in general in the game -- when you stop moving forward you don't come to a dead stop either, the animation finishes out.

I do not think it is inertia, it looks like good old (not really) animation driven motion. Essentially instead of having an abstract "actor" that you control directly in space with the 3D model animating to match the actor's position and motion, it does the exact opposite where you control the 3D model's animation playback and those animations control the actor's position and orientation.

With a good animation team, a good animation engine with physics feedback and level design that takes the limitations into account it can work good enough, but it'll never feel as good as controlling the actor directly. I think it is often preferred by game developers since it can look more realistic (otherwise you'd have behavior like instant turns, walk animations stopping mid-step, etc that it doesn't look great).

(i am a bit biased against animation driven motion since i never liked how it feels, but perhaps there are better reasons why it is used that i do not see)

But i like ELEX despite this (and a few other issues).

Codex Year of the Donut

I do not think it is inertia, it looks like good old (not really) animation driven motion. Essentially instead of having an abstract "actor" that you control directly in space with the 3D model animating to match the actor's position and motion, it does the exact opposite where you control the 3D model's animation playback and those animations control the actor's position and orientation.

With a good animation team, a good animation engine with physics feedback and level design that takes the limitations into account it can work good enough, but it'll never feel as good as controlling the actor directly. I think it is often preferred by game developers since it can look more realistic (otherwise you'd have behavior like instant turns, walk animations stopping mid-step, etc that it doesn't look great).

(i am a bit biased against animation driven motion since i never liked how it feels, but perhaps there are better reasons why it is used that i do not see)

But i like ELEX despite this (and a few other issues).
animation driven motion can look much better but it's a complete massive pain the ass and requires a lot of coordination between art/design/programmers
if you do it poorly it's shit

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I'm still bitter you cannot annotate the map. Building a world where you need to skip areas because they are too hard at low levels but not letting you mark where they are is garbage.

T. Reich

Arcane
I'm still bitter you cannot annotate the map. Building a world where you need to skip areas because they are too hard at low levels but not letting you mark where they are is garbage.

Totally! Just like with their older games, I had to resort to manually marking stuff on the world map in Paint.

I suppose, though, there is certain charm in this, just like in the older games with no automap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom