Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Sounds like he's muscling in on the "Chris Avellone Stretch Goal" territory. Jokes aside, From Software hiring a big name writing consultant is pretty weird to me. I can't think of anything they've made that would really benefit all that much from a traditional writer. Their games are all mood and atmosphere, not dialogue.

Exactly right bro.This seems like nothing more than a publicity stunt, and pretty odd timing given GoTs current status.

Color me VERY surprised if anything good comes from this.

Ent

Savant
I blame Salvatore for every non evil drow self insert I've had the pleasure of DM'ing over the years.

DemonKing

Arcane
Doesn't GRR have enough money now that he can avoid this kind of thing? I guess it's probably along the lines of "We'll pay you so we can stick your name on the cover of our game" rather than actual work, but it's still mildly disturbing to think he might be adding yet another thing to his list of to dos other than "finish Winds of Winter".

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sounds like he's muscling in on the "Chris Avellone Stretch Goal" territory. Jokes aside, From Software hiring a big name writing consultant is pretty weird to me. I can't think of anything they've made that would really benefit all that much from a traditional writer. Their games are all mood and atmosphere, not dialogue.

Exactly right bro.This seems like nothing more than a publicity stunt, and pretty odd timing given GoTs current status.

Color me VERY surprised if anything good comes from this.

GoTs current status is the most popular series ever by far and widely acknowledged that its writing was vastly better when the... actual writer was involved.
So, pretty good timing actually. I've heard these news from a casual gamer, so it seems to be working already

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
What are the Japs “consulting” Mr. Martin about? Just skimming through his wiki page it looks like he was an English teacher, not any kind of authority on Norse Mythology.

Japs: “Harro? Harrro?? Mista Martin-san, prease advise on Vikings!”

Martin: “Pffft I dunno, just give them long hair and swords or whatever.”

Guess they’ll plaster his name in giant letters on the cover just like all those shitty short story collections he “edits” flooding the New Releases section of every bookstore.

Yeah, probably something along the lines of John Carpenter. He inked enough rep points to have his name on just about anything. So whenever you see 'John Carpenter presents', the studios mail him piles of cash, and Carpenter smokes more weed and watches NBA. Martin's probably wanting to get in on that action. Producer credits can cover a lot of ground.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
GoTs current status is the most popular series ever by far and widely acknowledged that its writing was vastly better when the... actual writer was involved.
Wait, what? Did you mean the show is acknowledged to have vastly better writing than GRRM's books?
No I mean that everyone acknowledges that the writing was better when GRRM was involved in the show. It got vastly worse when he stopped, about 6-7th season

Black Angel

Arcane
Wait, what? Did you mean the show is acknowledged to have vastly better writing than GRRM's books?
No I mean that everyone acknowledges that the writing was better when GRRM was involved in the show. It got vastly worse when he stopped, about 6-7th season
Ah shit I failed [Reading Comprehension] check. I thought you typed 'than' when it's actually 'when' :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Doesn't GRR have enough money now that he can avoid this kind of thing? I guess it's probably along the lines of "We'll pay you so we can stick your name on the cover of our game" rather than actual work, but it's still mildly disturbing to think he might be adding yet another thing to his list of to dos other than "finish Winds of Winter".
...Have you seen what Georgie-porgie looks like, these days? Do you have any fucking idea how much competent care for chronic health issues costs in this godforsaken country? It's not hard to figure out what's gobbling up his cash. Fucker has been obese for a looooong time.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I feel sorry for people who read the books, he's going to drop dead before he finishes them.
Luckily, I read about half of the first book before deciding I wasn't really all that impressed with "Lord of the Rings, BUT EDGIER!!!". It absolutely baffled me when they blew up about a decade later and I found out that not only had Fat JRR not stopped at three or four, but that the ho-ho munching fuck wasn't even thinking about winding it all down before he dropped dead of a coronary from too much MickeyD's.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
...Have you seen what Georgie-porgie looks like, these days? Do you have any fucking idea how much competent care for chronic health issues costs in this godforsaken country? It's not hard to figure out what's gobbling up his cash. Fucker has been obese for a looooong time.
Yeah I'm sure all his millions are going straight into health care.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik

GRRM's last two books in the series were also stinkers. He stopped being involved in the show because he himself has no idea how to end his books satisfactorily. So he gave the showrunners a rough sketch of his unfinished plot points. And now his rough plot points, like Danaerys flipping out on incest brains, are being booed. He has utterly given up and will continue to edit and advise and "contribute" his name to unrelated stuff.

His major contribution to this game will be the addition of lemoncakes to the scenes of viking feast halls.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Honestly im convinced the true reason G.R.R does anything but finish the GoT books is because he has entered some faustian bargain and is now trying to exploit some loophole so as not to hand over his soul to be damned and tormented for eternity.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Apparently G.R.R Martin recently said the undead in GOT was a reference to climate change. Maybe this game will address that and do something about pet dragons farting, or the Clegane brothers eating too much meat/protein, or your ships will take longer to get to their destination because of all the pollution and ice in the sea, etc. It's 2019 after all.

I wish these cunts would just stay out of politics. Nothing like Cersei marching through the streets of London against a democratic vote - so far up their own asses, irony escapes them - effectively shouting "shame" at the British people. Kinda makes it hard to enjoy anything they do after that.

I found a simulation of a meeting between Martin and one of the (now defunct) devs.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
In all honesty -playing devil's advocate- and without discussing the ending to the series: I think G.R.R Martin is a genius. I'm wondering if he purposefully didn't finish the books, led the industry down the path they have followed and did the feminism/climate change thing to get paid. The man is far too intelligent to be drawn into ideology - he is a practical realist, grounded in history and the human condition. I bet the showrunners hated the ending he had for the dragon queen, but couldn't divert from it. So they just called it in, and moved onto the next feminist Star Wars.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Honestly im convinced the true reason G.R.R does anything but finish the GoT books is because he has entered some faustian bargain and is now trying to exploit some loophole so as not to hand over his soul to be damned and tormented for eternity.

Yeah, it's just too bad he forgot to add a couple of things to his Faustian contract goodies, like a treadmill and a working thyroid gland.

Cromwell

Arcane
This will be the first project Martin can leave unfinished while fans will claim its intentional.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom