Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
2003 concepts were imho the best.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Did anyone link the character evolution post yet? https://steamcommunity.com/games/562860/announcements/detail/1676902239539040353

From
5fa03e1a203ff24e15786b94beaafce326460127.jpg
to
23ead08b604595b5923f3d141ca0eb4c0f903e8a.jpg

Blame the SJWs. Bombshell was made during Sarkessien's heyday, when every SJW and 3rd Wave Feminist came out of the wood work to shit on depictions of women they didn't like. Which of course included sexy blondes which were obvious references to proper, over the top action goodness from the 80s to 90s.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
2003 concepts were imho the best.

Yeah, those were pretty good overall. Its either that or the 1999-2000 ones, which is the most fun looking.

This is still pretty classic though.

b22eb4c9b4b802d6d4fe6046a6071d27edf3f74d.jpg

The comments are trash. "Muh objectification of wahmen, let's make her look like a serious generic cop in uniform that blends in with the rest of the deluge of generic future cops. That'll show everyone what a unique and distinctive character she is"

I'm not asking for her tits be out, but I do want character designs to be interesting, you know?

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I like the almost Manara-like look of some of the old concepts, but they looked pretty goofy to me. I honestly believe the current incarnation is the best so far, especially the one featured on the box art. My colleagues might not like what I'm about to say but I don't like the Bombshell incarnation much, the one with the robot arm. :P

ironmask

Arbiter
I like the almost Manara-like look of some of the old concepts, but they looked pretty goofy to me.
Build characters always had a goofy design, especially a character like Lo Wang. It went along with the goofy atmosphere of the build games. I would rather have a goofy looking character who's memorable, then some super generic inoffensive looking cop lady.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
So how many levels does this game have yet, maidencucks? Is it still one after over a year of waiting, or is it two now? Are the devs still promising a soon™ release date? It's taken them over a year to deliver 2 levels, will you get a bare minimum of 4 to call it "finished" by 2024? You were parted from 20 dollars for this shit, you retards. You fell into a scam.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
No amount of negative ratings can change the fact that the Duke Nukems and John Rambos of the world are based on real commandos, while the Ion Maidens are entirely fictitious with no real-world parallels.

Preparing to hear about over-exaggerated Norse shield maidens and carefully insulated and protected all-women Arab and Israeli military and paramilitary units in 4... 3... 2... 1....

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
No amount of negative ratings can change the fact that the Duke Nukems and John Rambos of the world are based on real commandos, while the Ion Maidens are entirely fictitious with no real-world parallels.

Preparing to hear about over-exaggerated Norse shield maidens and carefully insulated and protected all-women Arab and Israeli military and paramilitary units in 4... 3... 2... 1....
Who the fuck cares?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Ion Maiden is by no means one of those terrible games with heavy handed corporate marxist political messaging and a vile feminist protag, it's a perfectly okay game. I do wish they ramped everything up though and made it more over the top, just like how Blood, Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior were, because that was a big part of what made them so enjoyable. Ion Maiden is much more subdued than those titles and not a parody/homage to a film genre. Even so, it's the best of the throwback shooters on the market right now, despite Bombshell lacking the charisma of Caleb, Duke and Lo Wang.

This is what we need
For sure.

HansDampf

Arcane
Yeah, but when is it coming out? The Steam page still says Q2 2019, and it's almost June.

Yeah, but when is it coming out? The Steam page still says Q2 2019, and it's almost June.

The last statement by a member of the team.
Either the release window of Q2 has now been missed or they just haven't announced for whatever reasons.
One thing of note regarding the team is that they're working part time on this in order keep bread on the table, and apparently they're holding out for the cash from sales upon full release.

Soon.PNG

Christmas.PNG

From five days ago in the discord.

cosmicray

Savant
Ion Maiden is by no means one of those terrible games with heavy handed corporate marxist political messaging and a vile feminist protag, it's a perfectly okay game. I do wish they ramped everything up though and made it more over the top, just like how Blood, Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior were, because that was a big part of what made them so enjoyable. Ion Maiden is much more subdued than those titles and not a parody/homage to a film genre. Even so, it's the best of the throwback shooters on the market right now, despite Bombshell lacking the charisma of Caleb, Duke and Lo Wang.
Fuck that. The last thing it needs is to be a parody, which will get annoying very fast. It's a homage/continuation of those titles in their core ingredients like gameplay, level design and interactivity, i.e. the stuff that really matters. And not some fucking humour, which retards think made Duke Nukem 3d a great game. I don't need another game trying to be Duke Nukem only in a sense of character and attitude.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The last thing it needs is to be a parody, which will get annoying very fast.
Maybe parody was an ill-chosen word, a better term might be pastiche.
t's a homage/continuation of those titles in their core ingredients like gameplay, level design and interactivity, i.e. the stuff that really matters. And not some fucking humour, which retards think made Duke Nukem 3d a great game.
I wasn't talking about purely humour but rather overall tone and character. The trinity of Build games all feel very different despite being very similar mechanically and that's due to taking heavy influence from different film genres. Doom is what it is not only due to mechanics but also because of the metal influence. Dark Forces wouldn't be Dark Forces without Star Wars.

In this regard Ion Maiden is rather bland, both the Bombshell character and the game in general from what we've seen so far. And shooters are a genre in which style is equally important to substance. What would Max Payne be without the Hong Kong action film influence and neo-noir? What would FAKK2 be without Heavy Metal Magazine?

You say you don't want Bombshell to be Duke Nukem but she's precisely that, a watered down and less colourful version of him that's less memorable and fun. This doesn't make the game shit but it will likely stop it from becoming a classic like its peers.

Curratum

Woah, it's me, but on Discord! Yeah, they said it should be done this year. I'm buying next week, got some loose wallet from a refund.

cosmicray

Savant
In this regard Ion Maiden is rather bland, both the Bombshell character and the game in general from what we've seen so far. And shooters are a genre in which style is equally important to substance. What would Max Payne be without the Hong Kong action film influence and neo-noir? What would FAKK2 be without Heavy Metal Magazine?
I see what you mean. Maybe. We'll have to wait for campaign then for a more focused style.

BupPKuP.png

But unexpected plot twist.......

https://www.thedailybeast.com/iron-...n-maiden-video-game?via=desktop&social=Reddit

IRON MAIDEN Files $2 Million Trademark Lawsuit Over 'Ion Maiden' Video Game

Heavy metal band Iron Maiden’s holding company has filed a $2 million trademark infringement lawsuit against a video game developer behind the “Duke Nukem” game that is selling another game called “Ion Maiden.” The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, claims entertainment company 3D Realms is conducting “incredibly blatant” trademark infringement—which could lead to “confusion among consumers.” “Defendant’s Ion Maiden name is nearly identical to the Iron Maiden trademark in appearance, sound and overall commercial impression. Defendant also uses the Ion Maiden name to sell merchandise including shirts and mouse pads,” the lawsuit claims, noting that Iron Maiden has also sold computer games in the past. The holding company alleges that 3D Realms engaged in federal trademark infringement and unfair competition, among other charges, for their “virtually identical imitation” of the band’s trademark. In addition to the $2 million, the suit also demands the company stop using “confusingly similar” products and relinquish their ownership of ionmaiden.com.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ir...trademark-lawsuit-over-ion-maiden-video-game/

According to The Daily Beast, IRON MAIDEN has filed a $2 million trademark infringement lawsuit against a video game developer behind the game called "Ion Maiden". The lawsuit, filed Tuesday by the band's holding company, Iron Maiden Holdings Limited, accuses entertainment company 3D Realms of creating "confusion among consumers."

"Defendant's Ion Maiden name is nearly identical to the IRON MAIDEN trademark in appearance, sound and overall commercial impression. Defendant also uses the Ion Maiden name to sell merchandise including shirts and mouse pads," the lawsuit claims.

"Defendant began using the Ion Maiden name, without authorization, in an effort to confuse consumers into believing Defendant's products and services are somehow affiliated with or approved by IRON MAIDEN.

"Defendant's misappropriation and use of a virtually identical imitation of the IRON MAIDEN trademark creates a likelihood of confusion among consumers," the lawsuit adds. "Customers who view Defendant's video game and merchandise are likely to believe that IRON MAIDEN is somehow affiliated with Defendant. The results of searches for Ion Maiden merchandise, t-shirts, posters and mouse pads relate to IRON MAIDEN.

"Without even examining the content of the Ion Maiden video game, confusion is undeniable because of the virtually identical use of the iconic IRON MAIDEN mark for video games, a product that IRON MAIDEN has been selling for nearly 20 years, and shirts, a product that IRON MAIDEN has been selling for nearly 40 years," the lawsuit says. "Standing alone, those facts establish likelihood of confusion but there is even more evidence of likelihood of confusion. That evidence includes the fact that Defendant has exhibited its intent to trade off on the IRON MAIDEN mark by adopting Shelly Harrison as the name of its main character which is an attempt to copy the name of Steve Harris, an IRON MAIDEN founder and primary songwriter; adopting a similar steel cut font for its Ion Maiden name knowing that IRON MAIDEN also uses a steel cut font for its iconic IRON MAIDEN mark; creating a video game that has the same look and feel as the IRON MAIDEN video game, 'Legacy Of The Beast'; and choosing to use its Ion Maiden Yellow Bomb emoji in its Ion Maiden video game and merchandise which is graphically similar to IRON MAIDEN's Eddie character who appears in all of IRON MAIDEN's video games and virtually all of IRON MAIDEN's compact disc covers, t-shirts and other merchandise.

"There have been numerous instances of actual confusion with IRON MAIDEN fans believing that Defendants' Ion Maiden products are related to IRON MAIDEN. Actual confusion has occurred in online articles and comments about the Ion Maiden video game including IRON MAIDEN fans: commenting that they were misled into believing that the Ion Maiden game was an IRON MAIDEN game; clicking on an Ion Maiden online thread thinking that the thread was related to IRON MAIDEN; reading an article about the Ion Maiden video game waiting for an explained connection to IRON MAIDEN; wondering the whole time, while reading an article about the Ion Maiden video game, how they (Defendant) got the license to use the Ion Maiden name (from IRON MAIDEN); expressing genuine excitement for an IRON MAIDEN video game; and commenting that 'all that's missing is an … IRON MAIDEN soundtrack' and that the IRON MAIDEN song 'Can I Play with Madness' would fit right in. In addition, a review of the Ion Maiden game stated that the Ion Maiden name references 'Brit Rocker' IRON MAIDEN."

"Defendant's infringement is incredibly blatant. Defendant is undoubtedly aware of IRON MAIDEN's existence and is attempting to trade off on IRON MAIDEN's notoriety because, inter alia, Defendant chose to use the virtually exact IRON MAIDEN trademark and was instructed to cease and desist by Plaintiff. In response thereto, Defendant abandoned its Ion Maiden trademark application but chose to defiantly continue to use its Ion Maiden mark."

In addition to seeking $2 million in statutory damages, the suit also demands the company either cancel registration of the domain name ionmaiden.com or transfer the ownership of that registration to IRON MAIDEN.

Last edited:

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
BupPKuP.png

But unexpected plot twist.......

https://www.thedailybeast.com/iron-...n-maiden-video-game?via=desktop&social=Reddit

IRON MAIDEN Files $2 Million Trademark Lawsuit Over 'Ion Maiden' Video Game

Heavy metal band Iron Maiden’s holding company has filed a $2 million trademark infringement lawsuit against a video game developer behind the “Duke Nukem” game that is selling another game called “Ion Maiden.” The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, claims entertainment company 3D Realms is conducting “incredibly blatant” trademark infringement—which could lead to “confusion among consumers.” “Defendant’s Ion Maiden name is nearly identical to the Iron Maiden trademark in appearance, sound and overall commercial impression. Defendant also uses the Ion Maiden name to sell merchandise including shirts and mouse pads,” the lawsuit claims, noting that Iron Maiden has also sold computer games in the past. The holding company alleges that 3D Realms engaged in federal trademark infringement and unfair competition, among other charges, for their “virtually identical imitation” of the band’s trademark. In addition to the $2 million, the suit also demands the company stop using “confusingly similar” products and relinquish their ownership of ionmaiden.com.
This kind of frivolous bullshit is why we can't have nice things anymore. Ion Maiden the computer game is in a completely different market to Iron Maiden the musical band. This is incredibly basic legal shit that their case is tripping over. I'd say they're IP-trolling for some shakedown cash.

ironmask

Arbiter
I had a feeling this shit would happen. I'm just surprise it hasn't happened sooner. Music companies are the fucking worse when it comes to copyright lawsuits. It's fucking ridiculous.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I had a feeling this shit would happen. I'm just surprise it hasn't happened sooner. Music companies are the fucking worse when it comes to copyright lawsuits. It's fucking ridiculous.
Hate to break it to you, buddy, but the entire system is rancid from the top down. And there's growing evidence Congress likes it that way; it enables the aristocracy to engage in all kinds of rent-seeking behavior.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom