Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Prime Junta

There are plenty of retards on Twitter as well but they're not more numerous than chan autists.

As an aside, it's cool that kwanzanians suddenly noticed that mass media has politics, but as you'd expect they went straight from that to 'your fandom is problematic.' :negative:

aeroaeko

Learned
Why doesn't Chris Avellone get more lead writer / project director roles? Pretty much everything he's been attached to has been golden / all time great tier.

Duckard

Augur
Why doesn't Chris Avellone get more lead writer / project director roles? Pretty much everything he's been attached to has been golden / all time great tier.

Maybe he doesn't want it. Being project director comes with its own share of baggage, I'm sure.

Vatnik Wumao

Avellone has critical acclaim, but his actual record at earning for his bosses is pretty spotty. Quite a few of his projects flopped at launch even though critics were raving about them. His fame makes him an expensive investment and his actual record means that he is unreliable. Those are not traits money men want to see in the people they appoint to head major projects.

Thal

Augur

Avellone has critical acclaim, but his actual record at earning for his bosses is pretty spotty. Quite a few of his projects flopped at launch even though critics were raving about them. His fame makes him an expensive investment and his actual record means that he is unreliable. Those are not traits money men want to see in the people they appoint to head major projects.

Also, leadership positions and implementation positions require different traits. And in many cases leadership is just delegation and oversight, which may not be the best use of creative talents. I think people often hope that by promoting a talented designer you somehow multiply his talent, but it may not be so. Maybe MCA is better used in actual design. Would he even like being a boss? Look at James Ohlen, his best work was early career and later he was so high up in the food chain that he couldn't even design anything anymore.

Cael

Arcane

Also, leadership positions and implementation positions require different traits. And in many cases leadership is just delegation and oversight, which may not be the best use of creative talents. I think people often hope that by promoting a talented designer you somehow multiply his talent, but it may not be so. Maybe MCA is better used in actual design. Would he even like being a boss? Look at James Ohlen, his best work was early career and later he was so high up in the food chain that he couldn't even design anything anymore.
This is true, and is something that most companies run afoul of. A good salesman doesn't mean he is a good manager. Similarly, a good tech might not be a good manager. However, they are the ones most likely to get promoted, and in most companies, it is the sales guys who get to the top echelon like CEO. This is generally a mistake because one of the things sales guys tend to be good at is bullshitting and talking crap. When you hit GM, CEO or MD level, that bullshitting usually ends up being very detrimental to the organisation.

Quillon

Arcane
Don't think the problem is people don't trust him to lead a game, its he doesn't wanna, otherwise he would have by now, easily. So stop sucking his dick cos it won't get better than he's being 1 of the 8 writers for a game, and more often than not we won't know what he actually wrote in the games he's part of.

Quillon

Arcane
By your own reckoning, he could change his mind tomorrow and decide to take a leading position on a team. And I have no idea what sucking his dick would have to do with it either way.

I reckon he won't, we've only been hearing that he's part of this and that game & this number of unannounced projects, he can't just take on a leading position while he's part of all that. And codex' sucking his dick for the prospect of an MCA-lead RPG, all I'm saying there is no point to it unless you like sucking dicks.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
And codex' sucking his dick for the prospect of an MCA-lead RPG, all I'm saying there is no point to it unless you like sucking dicks.t

aeroaeko raised the quiestion about lead roles yesterday, and after that there are 6 posts saying either MCA doesn't want to lead projects, or that he might not be great in that position anyway. Are you fucking high? :?

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
There's some classic MCA passive aggression in the Eurogamer piece about Fallout: NV's missing post-game:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...what-happened-to-fallout-new-vegass-post-game

"The loss of post-game content was a big hit in many respects," Avellone told me over email. "It didn't feel like a compromise - it felt more like a surprise."

[...]

"Designing post-game content is not hard to do if you're keeping it in mind with each NPC and quest as you're designing it (like doing a Karma check, faction check, or just another global reactivity check, which we had to do anyway) - sometimes all it needs is a post-endgame line," Avellone explained.

"But if you haven't planned for it throughout your design process for your areas and characters, it can be a lot of work to go back and add later on. And while some designers had planned for it - for example, our lead writer had lines for Mr. House in place for post-game reactivity and Strip Securitrons - not all areas had post-game design work."

2house2fly

Magister
Every moment spent on post-Hoover content was a moment wasted. Let the game end at the end. There's not a lot I respect about Deadfire, but I respect that they didn't have a postgame even though a lot of people wanted it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom