Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Delterius

Arcane
I'm not a storyfag, but if one of a game's major features is having tens of thousands of lines of dialogue and it's all terrible, then I'm not going to play it. No story at all is fine; active repugnance isn't.

This means that the Fire Emblem series ended for me a few games ago. RIP
TBH Fates: Conquest is easily top 2 Fire Emblems in terms of map design. Problem is, its also one of the worst stories ever told. So you kinda wish you could kill your whole team instead.

Cognitive Dissonance in a box.

Ventidius

Arbiter
I'm just glad that at no point the game forces you to listen to its nonsense. You can always just press Start and immediately skip all mission intro and outro dialogues. Many other RPGs, especially Japanese ones, aren't so kind.

Also, not all recent Fire Emblems have had a bad story. FE Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (2017) was solid in this regard, and the gameplay was also serviceable if not remarkable. Kinda figures, considering it's a remake.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Path of Radiance is easy. Maybe on the hardest difficulty it isn't but I don't care very much for it because one of the ways it tries to achieve difficulty is interface screw so fuck that.

Radiant Dawn is odd because the difficulty swings wildly depending on whether you're forced to use the Shit Brigade or Ike's band of OP assholes (and if you're insane enough to continue using the former once you're given a chance not to)

Vorark

Erudite
Also GBA animations = :love:

YES!

colm-rogue-sword-b.gif

eliwood-knightlord-durandal-b.gif

eliwood-lord-sword-b.gif

erk-mage-magic-b.gif

glass-mercenary-sword-b.gif

hector-greatlord-armads-b.gif

joshua-myrmidon-sword-b.gif

lyn-bladelord-solkatti-b.gif

wil-archer-bow-b.gif

Endemic

Arcane
Also, not all recent Fire Emblems have had a bad story. FE Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (2017) was solid in this regard, and the gameplay was also serviceable if not remarkable. Kinda figures, considering it's a remake.

Strange that IS didn't fix Gaiden's worst flaw which was the map design. Also I'm not sold on some of the changes to the writing. For example, they replaced Dyuute with the shitty loli called Delthea and made her more annoying in the process. Rewriting the endings to make them more optimistic seemed unnecessary to me as well. It's especially strange since there are voiced reactions to character deaths during the game itself, and alternate scenes if you fail to recruit\rescue certain characters. The QoL improvements are expected and welcome, of course.

Ventidius

Arbiter
I didn't really play the original Gaiden, so can't compare. That said, no matter how you cut it Echoes is still miles above the rest of the 3DS games in terms of story.

Ent

Savant
FE4 will probably be the next game in the series to be remade. Some people are theorizing that it might be merged with FE5 to create something like FE Echoes: Shadows over Jugdral but I don't think that games so radically different can be so easily merged.

Endemic

Arcane

Ent

Savant
I can get behind an FE 6 remake. They could even do a FE 6 + FE 7 type game and wrap up some plot points nicely in a combined release. Mechanically the GBA games series are pretty stripped down but I still think they were the best looking of the bunch and its a shame detailed sprite work is nearly dead. My dream FE would probably have the spriting of the GBA games but the combat would play out more like the SNES titles.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I can get behind an FE 6 remake. They could even do a FE 6 + FE 7 type game and wrap up some plot points nicely in a combined release. Mechanically the GBA games series are pretty stripped down but I still think they were the best looking of the bunch and its a shame detailed sprite work is nearly dead. My dream FE would probably have the spriting of the GBA games but the combat would play out more like the SNES titles.

I loved the GBA games, including 6. Remake would be ok but I'm happy with them as they are.

deuxhero

Arcane
What about if I want to actually have a good time and play a good FE? Which one would you guys recommend? I see the GameCube and Wii ones are the most recommended, maybe?

What about the SNES ones?

7, released as just "Fire Emblem" in the west, is the best one for beginners. Has an extensive tutorial (if you're playing without patches, whether you like it or not), high polish, good story, fun character, replay value and is reasonably balanced. 3 (Mystery of the Emblem, if you know Nipponese), 9 (Path of Radiance), and 11 (Shadow Dragon) are all acceptable for new players, but 7 is the best.

From staff interviews it seemed like IS were more interested in remaking 6. The director of SoV implied that, at least.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/18/15658120/fire-emblem-echoes-nintendo-3ds-remake-interview

if Nakanishi had to pick, he knows what game he’d choose. “Unfortunately his story has never been told,” he says of Roy, “so it would be great if we could release a remake of his story.”

6's flaws are massive and could use some fixes. You got shit like half of the units (even early joiners) being useless for one reason or another, and that's not an exaggeration (of the 27 units that join before 8X, 11 of them are pretty bad and Roy could be added to make that a full 12). Sacae. Ambush spawns. Weapon accuracy being crap all around. All weapons giving the same weapon rank growth. Only four characters get to talk in story for more than a chapter (Roy, Marcus, Mernilus, Guinivere). Spamming status staffs and siege tomes. Half the support convos being pointless and all the support convos being unobtainable if you played remotely reasonably. Thieves can't promote and Roy can't promote till nearly the end of the game.

Thing is, the game is fixable without rendering it unrecognizable. Most of the map design itself is decent enough to start with (more than can be said of Gaiden), the base mechanics are solid enough.

Last edited:

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
What about if I want to actually have a good time and play a good FE? Which one would you guys recommend? I see the GameCube and Wii ones are the most recommended, maybe?

What about the SNES ones?

7, released as just "Fire Emblem" in the west, is the best one for beginners. Has an extensive tutorial (if you're playing without patches, whether you like it or not), high polish, good story, fun character, replay value and is reasonably balanced. 3 (Mystery of the Emblem, if you know Nipponese), 9 (Path of Radiance), and 11 (Shadow Dragon) are all acceptable for new players, but 7 is the best.

From staff interviews it seemed like IS were more interested in remaking 6. The director of SoV implied that, at least.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/18/15658120/fire-emblem-echoes-nintendo-3ds-remake-interview

if Nakanishi had to pick, he knows what game he’d choose. “Unfortunately his story has never been told,” he says of Roy, “so it would be great if we could release a remake of his story.”

6's flaws are massive and could use some fixes. You got shit like half of the units (even early joiners) being useless for one reason or another, and that's not an exaggeration (of the 27 units that join before 8X, 11 of them are pretty bad and Roy could be added to make that a full 12). Sacae. Ambush spawns. Weapon accuracy being crap all around. All weapons giving the same weapon rank growth. Only four characters get to talk in story for more than a chapter (Roy, Marcus, Mernilus, Guinivere). Spamming status staffs and siege tomes. Half the support convos being pointless and all the support convos being unobtainable if you played remotely reasonably. Thieves can't promote and Roy can't promote till nearly the end of the game.

Thing is, the game is fixable without rendering it unrecognizable. Most of the map design itself is decent enough to start with (more than can be said of Gaiden), the base mechanics are solid enough.

Don't forget the critical bug where the crit roll comes before the hit roll. Haven't played it since college but you can use that one to your advantage -- EXCEPT if you are trying to have no character deaths it can bite you.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
victim
What critical bug? Crits aren't auto-hits in FE6, and this has been proven by having units with 100% critical miss.

You're saying that is a myth? I distinctly recall axe-users with ~20-30% to hit and ~50 critical getting crits way more often than they (seemingly?) should have. Didn't FE6 avg two rolls to get your %? That would make it even less likely.

deuxhero

Arcane
It averages two RN only for your hit percent, not critical hit. Sub 50% hit rates are actually even lower than they appear to be.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
It averages two RN only for your hit percent, not critical hit. Sub 50% hit rates are actually even lower than they appear to be.

Which would mean that 30% hit as a precondition for a crit is even worse than it looks

I think its 2*h^2+h where h is the hit chance as a decimal for h<50

Ent

Savant
My dream FE would probably have the spriting of the GBA games but the combat would play out more like the SNES titles.

There are patches that introduce the skill system back into GBA FE, for example: http://feuniverse.us/t/fe8-skill-system-v1-0-151-skills-done-more-on-the-way/2312
Yea I stumbled upon the Fire Emblem modding scene a couple of months ago. FE8 skill mod was one of the first mods I tried out. I've even started dabbling with things like the nightmare editor and the sprite editors. I'm having a blast with the randomizer mods currently.

Nostaljaded

Savant
The non-core gameplay for the next game, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, is getting excessively frivolous. :decline:

1 Free Battles
LN1nErC.jpg

2 Decide Today's Activity
pd69nK1.jpg

3 Base Roaming, with Instant Warp Option
w2rPyGT.jpg

4 Quest Board
tg7iZH7.jpg

5 Quest Giver
qbCs47j.jpg

6 Fishing Minigame
QDqgW33.jpg

7 (probably) with timing-based button presses
N7YDF5H.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh I don't mind honestly. A bit of downtime here and there between mission is always nice. They just need to balance it out with good combat missions and I would be fine

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom