Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Gothic have bad controls?

Barbalos

Savant
I also found this but only tried it for a short time, maybe someone else would like it:

Gothic One Click Action. It's said to make Gothic I controls more like Gothic II.-
https://forum.worldofplayers.de/for...ick-Action?p=25357067&viewfull=1#post25357067

Play Gothic I with more comfort!

In Gothic I you have to press Control-key and a cursor-key simultanousely to start an action.

With this program you can start actions with only one click. By default with left mouse button.

That means you can use Gothic II-similiar controls in Gothic I.

Additionally you have some more quick keys for comfortable playing, like slow or fast autowalking, automatic ladder-climbing, climbing rocks, use chests, distant fight, and use frying pan.

keyboard settings:
actions:
default action --> left mousebutton
distant fight mode --> middle mousebutton

action left --> F6
action right --> F7
action down --> F8

Autowalk:
autowalk fast --> F1
autowalk slow --> F2
To stop autowalking press same key again

climb rock --> F4

climb ladders:
up --> F10
down--> F11

chests/frying pan:
use chests/frying pan --> k

stop special modes:
during some actions like distance fight, climbing ladders, cracking chests, frying meat the player is in a special mode, shown by lit scroll-lock LED on your keyboard. If action is done, the mode can be left by pressing Numpad-Enter key. The scroll-lock LED will turn off and the player can be controlled as usual again.

Stop Mode Key --> Numpad-Enter

The key settings can be customized in the configuration-file goca_config.ini.

installation:
Download zip-file and extract to any directory.
At first start GOCA tries to detect the path of your gothic installation. If the path ist found installation is ready.

use:
Start GOCA to play Gothic with activated GOCA special keys.

deinstall:
delete following files:
GothicOneClickAction.exe
goca_config.ini
goca_readme.txt

installation with Spine:
GOCA can also be installed very easy with the new Gothic-Starter Spine.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
OP has bad bowel controls. That's why he spews out shit all the time.

They were absolutely fine. Bad controls make you do stuff you don't want to. It's never the issue with Gothic.
As for pressing multiple buttons to interact with objects it's natural and easy. It's because of people who complain about stuff like this every action game has automated ledge grabbing. Shame one you.

GrainWetski

Arcane
OP has bad bowel controls. That's why he spews out shit all the time.

They were absolutely fine. Bad controls make you do stuff you don't want to. It's never the issue with Gothic.
As for pressing multiple buttons to interact with objects it's natural and easy. It's because of people who complain about stuff like this every action game has automated ledge grabbing. Shame one you.
Don't forget 600 different actions on one key. Real great when you start climbing, jumping on stuff, getting behind cover and other crap when you're merely trying to run away.

Master

Arbiter
G1 controls are raw but they fit the brutal prison setting. Then in G2 they become more refined because you get closer to civilization.

Zer0wing

Cipher
To be honest, I find Gothic controls quite convenient but not for Gothic. Convenient for one hand and differend kind of game. :bounce:

PrettyDeadman

Gothic controls aren't neccesarily bad, but they are unconventional. Being unconventional isn't super good unless it brings something which cannot be achieved with conventional control, but I don't think Gothic would've lost something if it had normal control.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I've recently started playing Gothic 1 for the first time. The controls are extremely nonintuitive - even worse than System Shock 1, which is a feat in itself - but you get used to them after awhile.
Just remap them to WSAD and use mouse instead of the ctrl

The only thing that will still suck is the buying and selling interface

Martyr

Arcane
it literally takes 1 minute to get used to Gothic 1s controls. Gothic 2s controls suck, but luckily you can just turn on Gothic 1 control style in the options.
and the combat system (holding down ctrl and using arrow keys) is far superioir to the usual mouse button mashing found in every other action RPG out there.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Souls is designed to be mastered while Gothic isn't. Souls combat is supposed to have depth and a learning curve. Gothic combat is intended as an obstacle you circumvent until you are strong enough.

Paul_cz

Arcane
it literally takes 1 minute to get used to Gothic 1s controls. Gothic 2s controls suck, but luckily you can just turn on Gothic 1 control style in the options.
and the combat system (holding down ctrl and using arrow keys) is far superioir to the usual mouse button mashing found in every other action RPG out there.
You do realize that when using mouse in Gothic 1, the left mouse button has the exact same function as ctrl, right? So the only thing that changes is that it is more comfortable and you can use mouse to look around

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I started Gothic for the first time yesterday. Took me about 15 minutes.

I can see how that would be the case if it is the first action game you ever play. For those of us who are somewhat used to action games, which have a very standarized control scheme, Gothic is like asking you to drive a car with four pedals. Gothic is probably the one game I can get behind the "I started replaying it 3 hours into the game", if only because being used to the controls helps make the beginning far more enjoyable.

EDIT: For the retards who don't know what muscle memory is.

It's the same reason why you can explain to someone what each button in a controller does for a particular game, but that doesn't mean they will immediately master said control scheme. Same with Gothic: you may know that a certain button combination let's you pick up things, but unless you are actively thinking of it the first time around, most people will instinctively resort to pressing just one button (the standard) to pick up things before they go "oh right, I need to press two". Eventually muscle memory takes place and replaces active thinking. But to say Gothic's unconventional (key word) control scheme is "trivial" is disingenuous to the plenty, plenty of examples found on the Internet. The Codex is known to lie to feel better about itself, though.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
I can see how that would be the case if it is the first action game you ever play. For those of us who are somewhat used to action games popamoles, which have a very standarized control scheme, Gothic is like asking you to drive a car with four pedals.
Fixed.

For the retards who don't know what muscle memory is.

It's the same reason why you can explain to someone what each button in a controller does for a particular game, but that doesn't mean they will immediately master said control scheme. Same with Gothic: you may know that a certain button combination let's you pick up things, but unless you are actively thinking of it the first time around, most people will instinctively resort to pressing just one button (the standard) to pick up things before they go "oh right, I need to press two".

Eventually muscle memory takes place and replaces active thinking. But to say Gothic's unconventional (key word) control scheme is "trivial" is disingenuous to the plenty, plenty of examples found on the Internet.
You don't even need to go this far, just admit that you got some cultural shock of some sort upon encountering radically different control scheme.

Back in the day I actually got used to control schematics of games like Skyrim, but then I encountered Dark Souls vanilla PC control schematic and it was like a wake up call for me. It's what helped me get into Gothic 1's control in less than 30 minutes of playing or so, so your case of "For those of us who are somewhat used to action games" really only apply to your own personal experience.

Master

Arbiter
Souls is designed to be mastered while Gothic isn't. Souls combat is supposed to have depth and a learning curve. Gothic combat is intended as an obstacle you circumvent until you are strong enough.
Gothic combat is tied to its rpg system. While Souls seems to be just an action game by what you describe.
And even when you get strong in Gothic it isnt some automatic process where you skip combat. You still have to apply your skills.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You don't even need to go this far, just admit that you got some cultural shock of some sort upon encountering radically different control scheme.

Apparently I do, because you don't seem to understand what muscle memory is, as your entire post shows. You think you know what you are talking about, but don't: Dark Souls' control scheme isn't anything like Gothic's, so why you say "it helped me get into Gothic 1's controls" as if it made any sense is beyond me. You can jump from Morrowind to Skyrim to New Vegas easily, because the control scheme is essentially the same throughout all Bethesda games: WASD for moving, left click to attack, one button to pick up things. And you can't even roll around. When it comes to combat, Dark Souls is completely different: WASD for moving, one button to pick up things, but the combat dynamic is different thanks to the game's mechanics. Same with Gothic.

The same holds true for a game like System Shock. Unconventional control scheme makes it hard to get used to it because you have to put aside everything you learned about first person games. There's a reason why conventional control schemes become "conventional" and are reused time after time. Notice how I never called Gothic's controls "bad" in this discussion: they are the way they are (in combat) because Gothic asks for a different combat dynamic.

I do think it has awful controls when it comes to the interface, though.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can see how that would be the case if it is the first action game you ever play.
There's no need to insult me. That said, I see your inability to adapt to non-standard control systems is somehow a point of pride for you. For everyone else, though, pressing two buttons instead of one to pick up stuff isn't a huge ordeal.

Black Angel

Arcane

Apparently I do, because you don't seem to understand what muscle memory is, as your entire post shows. You think you know what you are talking about, but don't: Dark Souls' control scheme isn't anything like Gothic's, so why you say "it helped me get into Gothic 1's controls" as if it made any sense is beyond me. You can jump from Morrowind to Skyrim to New Vegas easily, because the control scheme is essentially the same throughout all Bethesda games: WASD for moving, left click to attack, one button to pick up things. And you can't even roll around. When it comes to combat, Dark Souls is completely different: WASD for moving, one button to pick up things, but the combat dynamic is different thanks to the game's mechanics. Same with Gothic.

The same holds true for a game like System Shock. Unconventional control scheme makes it hard to get used to it because you have to put aside everything you learned about first person games. There's a reason why conventional control schemes become "conventional" and are reused time after time. Notice how I never called Gothic's controls "bad" in this discussion: they are the way they are (in combat) because Gothic asks for a different combat dynamic.

I do think it has awful controls when it comes to the interface, though.
As Strange Fellow stated above, you seem upset that everyone else managed to learn and get used to Gothic 1's control schematics in mere minutes, while you took hours to do it.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Never had any problems with Gothic's controls. One button prepares action, second button executes it.

Potato?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So tell me then: how many action games can I play before I become incapable of handling anything new? I'm thinking I'll just stop right before that point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom