Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout (((POLL))) Fallout - An Entire Series Retrospective and Analysis

Is this video accurate?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Any "analysis" that doesn't discard Fallout 4 as irredeemable trash doesn't understand or respect the series enough to be taken seriously.
In his other video he doesn't disregard Fallout 4 as an RPG.

Yosharian

Arcane
I started watching it, I'm currently at the Fallout 1 section. So far I quite like it, but it's obvious that he's coming at Fallout 1 & 2 from the 'I'm going to just straight up compare them to the newer games without considering that they were released 20+ years ago' angle. He's not wrong that Fallout 1's UI, controls, graphics and so on are quite dated. But for god's sake, they're old games.

Anyway watching this has given me the urge to replay Fallout 1, I just wish there was a remastered version or something. What does everyone think of the 'Fallout 1 Fixt' mod?

hpstg

Savant
The original Fallouts are completely playable. The inventory is kind of crap, but it is not really needed as often as in most modern open world games, as trash collection wasn't so trendy back then.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Aside from fucked up inventory and maybe not so convenient weapon firing mode selection, Fallout 1-2 UI is close to perfect for keyboard+mouse and keeps its relevance on modern smartphones and tablets, wtf you all are talking about?

Yosharian

Arcane
To be fair, he does actually end the FO1 section by concluding that FO1 is exactly what Fallout 'should be'.

And I can see where he's going with the whole, Fallout has turned into this goofy retro series where it used to be this dark, post-apoc series, with the goofy shit taking a back seat.

I'll need to watch the rest tonight to see what his overall conclusion is, but I think possibly you guys are being a bit too harsh on him.

Then again, if his conclusion on FO4 is anything but 'this is trash', I'll be happy to jump on the hate train

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
To be fair, he does actually end the FO1 section by concluding that FO1 is exactly what Fallout 'should be'.

What a stunning conclusion... the game that started the series "should be" Fallout? Thank god we have these Youtube Heroes to enlighten us.

Not gonna waste 1 minute watching this drivel, but I was actually hoping the video started with Fallout 3. I have been seeing a trend recently, specifically with people discussing Bioware and the past games made by the company, they often ignore Baldurs Gate completely. Which is fine considering their target audience has probably never played/ will never play BG. I wonder if Bethesda will ever be able to "remake" Fallout 1/2 in their own engine, so they can finally erase the originals from existence?

Codex Year of the Donut
The original Fallouts are completely playable. The inventory is kind of crap, but it is not really needed as often as in most modern open world games, as trash collection wasn't so trendy back then.
What about the combat? IIRC waiting for multiple enemies to act can get very tedious
jCSExUg.png

Master

Arbiter
What about the combat? IIRC waiting for multiple enemies to act can get very tedious
There is a slider for TB animation speed, in the options.
Why do you think the graphics are dated? Are old time paintings dated too since we have cameras now?

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter

hpstg

Savant
Why do people keep whining like little bitches about this? The only time there was a real issue with it was with the Boneyard battle. It's literally a single encounter. If you appreciate the animation work, it's not even tedious, especially if the speed is set to max.

Black Angel

Arcane
Since whatever it is he's going to say are probably what I've known from reading and watching many things through the years of my first discovering the series, I just skipped right to his conclusion. Who knows? Maybe his conclusions can spark a curiosity in me and makes me watch the whole thing to see how he came to his conclusions.

Imagine my surprise and disappointment upon finding out he excused Bethesda's jet lore inconsistency by pointing out how Fallout 2 devs fucked up jet origins with Mrs. Bishop. And it's painfully obvious he didn't do his research because he didn't even mention how MCA actually cleared it up in Fallout Bible, admitting his mistake and told the audience to ignore that part accordingly. Maybe he brought it up during Fallout 2 section, but from the conclusion alone he tried to justify Bethesda's jet lore inconsistency, and so from it I'd assume he didn't do his research.

Codex Year of the Donut
jCSExUg.png
Does that affect combat only or the whole game?
the entire game, it works on nearly every game. It hooks whatever the windows syscall for getting the current time is.

Black Angel

Arcane
jCSExUg.png
Does that affect combat only or the whole game?
the entire game, it works on nearly every game. It hooks whatever the windows syscall for getting the current time is.
I'd say you don't even need speedhack for the original Fallouts and its TC mods anymore. With sfall, I don't know which version but probably the most recent ones, allows you to speed up the entire game by editing the .ini, and there's even assignable hotkeys to adjust speed in-game. Paging agris for help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom