Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Is there any mod that makes Quake 2 not suck?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Quake 2 is Quake 2, I don't think it's horrible but it is what it is, namely an (at the time) impressive-looking, slow, rather easy and pretty bland FPS, especially when compared to god-tier shooters like Doom, Quake 1, Blood and Unreal. There are no mods that can fix that. That being said, I'd still much rather replay Quake 2 (with Yamagi) over the latest Ubisoft or Fake ID popamole.

Just play Kingpin or Sin instead if you want to play a better id Tech 2 shooter. SoF is cool too.
If you are a nerd who's into story-rich fantasy settings and can stomach third-person games you could play Heretic 2 too, I guess. I was never a fan but it is one of the best looking Quake 2 engine games.

Play Blood 2 on normal or highest skill if you want a truly horrible FPS of the era. (Re)Play the first Episode of Blood 1 first for added effect. That's pretty much what I did when it came out. I was hyped for the sequel after having read many previews in magazines and then I played it with Blood 1 very fresh in my memory:

:abyssgazer:

I recently played Blood and Death Wish back to back using NBlood and Fresh Supply (for co-op and MP) and had a blast. Then one day I was in a fabulously optimistic mood and I installed Blood 2 with dgVoodoo and the Extra Crispy mod which alters the gameplay to make it more similar to Blood 1 and fixes a ton of bugs but it was still too garbage for me to play more than 2 levels.

Civvie's Blood 2 video's reminded me of that experience and they really cracked me up

The nightmare continues:

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
I still can't understand how Blood 2 can be so fucking shit.
Because it was pushed out of the door by the publisher long before it was ready.

Or as Civvie put it so well in his playthrough:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

More details here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-june-6-release-date/

Quake II RTX Available On Windows and Linux June 6th
By Andrew Burnes on May 27, 2019 | GeForce RTX GPUs Featured Stories Computex 2019 NVIDIA RTX Ray Tracing
Our Quake II RTX ray-traced remaster of Quake II was the talk of the town at GDC, wowing gamers new and old with its top-to-bottom enhancements that improve virtually every aspect of the 1997 classic.

Now, we can confirm that Quake II RTX will be released on June 6th, 2019. If you have a GeForce RTX graphics card, or other capable hardware, you can experience the first 3 levels of the game for free, fully remastered with path-traced graphics and a variety of other enhancements. And if you own a copy of Quake II, you can play the campaign in its entirety, and play against others in online multiplayer.

Furthermore, the source code will be posted to GitHub, enabling others to expand on our work with further advancements and enhancements, or to use the code to ray trace Quake II mods and total conversions.

The June 6th release will also look even better thanks to numerous improvements to image quality, and new additions that add even more path-traced enhancements. Highlights include:

• Improved Global Illumination rendering, with three selectable quality presets, including two-bounce GI
  • Multiplayer support
  • Time of day options that radically change the appearance of some levels
  • New weapon models & textures
  • New dynamic environments (Stroggos surface, and space)
  • Better physically based atmospheric scattering, including settings for Stroggos sky
  • Real-time reflectivity of the player and weapon model on water and glass surfaces, and player model shadows, for owners of the complete game (the original Shareware release does not include player models)
  • Improved ray tracing denoising technology
  • All 3,000+ original game textures have been updated with a mix of Q2XP mod-pack textures and our own enhancements
  • Updated effects with new sprites and particle animations
  • Dynamic lighting for items such as blinking lights, signs, switches, elevators and moving objects
  • Caustics approximation to improve water lighting effects
  • High-quality screenshot mode that makes your screenshots look even better
  • Support for the old OpenGL renderer, enabling you to switch between RTX ON and RTX OFF
  • Cylindrical projection mode for wide-angle field of view on widescreen displays

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's interesting as a tech demo, but that's about it. Modern effects on low-poly models and low-res textures will always look like shit.
Those fucking "chrome plated" parts on the guns are also terrible.

I like this, though:
High-quality screenshot mode that makes your screenshots look even better

Photoshopping screenshots built in an a feature. What will they think of next?

schru

Arcane
Not to say I would prefer this to the original lighting, which had much more consideration of atmosphere and gameplay put into it, but I think dynamic lights and shadows (however they're achieved) actually do in a way work with levels like in Quake or other older shooters in a more interesting way than in modern games, as the angular geometry lends itself better to interplay of light and shadow and light sources are usually artificial.

DraQ

Arcane
Because it was pushed out of the door by the publisher long before it was ready.
I disagree with that.

While there are some nuggets of coolness in Blood 2 the whole thing just sucks on the conceptual level. You just cannot set Blood in mildly futuristic setting with big bad corporashun, with sci-fi-ish teleportation and other dimensions trying to explain away the horror stuff from the original and expect it to work out. It won't.

Blood 2 sucks for much the same reasons SW prequels suck, and it couldn't have been fixed short of starting over from the beginning for much the same reasons. The problem isn't that it's ugly, sucky and unfinished. The problem is that it's a bland flavourless crap down to its very core.

As for Q2, it really could have been a much better game (in SP) if it was stronger mechanically. It would never have been brilliant, because Carmack might be a brilliant programmer, but he has zero fucking imagination or flair to be a game designer, but it could have been a competent and fun (if a bit dull) shootan if only its mechanics played to the strengths of its concept.
As it is it's mostly mediocre all over.

geNia

Barely Literate
Guys, I know this is off topic, but please help me find an old Quake 2 mod that I played as a kid. All I remember from it is that you start in a cave flooded by lava and you need to walk (or jump, I can't remember) on platforms to proceed. The first enemy you encounter is two Flyers and also there was an enemy that behaved and sounded like a Berserker, but looked differently.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So what did they do, just turn RTX on and let it rip like that, without even bothering to maintain the atmosphere of the original?

Lmao.

Master

Arbiter
Its not bad but it really doesnt fit with that bright light and polished floors. It looks like some mythical Elven city.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
FYI, lowering the resolution to 720p and disabling Global Illumination makes the game run fairly well on non-RTX hardware, and it still looks very sweet. Worth a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom