Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima - coming May 30th

Alchemist

Arcane
he has plenty to say about all the things developers are doing wrong, while producing very little himself.

As if you need to first create bunch of games to criticize something. It was probably wrong to single out this game, because this is a more generic issue.
You make a good point, and no I don't expect every critic of a game to have created finished games. The Codex is largely a community of critics, most being players and not developers, and I have no problem with that. But from fellow developers such as yourself I expect a bit more awareness of the complexities and effort involved, and perhaps not being so quick to tear down the work of other devs without even playing their game first.

As others in this thread have noted, I feel you've made some unfair assumptions about Skald based only on a few screenshots and a brief overview of the game concept. Indeed it has a retro look, but that doesn't mean it's a 1:1 clone of Ultima V or whatever you may be thinking. I would wait until playing the game or at least learning more about what it will play like before passing judgment.

Last edited:

Atrachasis

Augur
As delightful as this looks, it does beg a question in my mind: It is one thing to constrain the fidelity of your graphics because you have a limited budget / wish to concentrate your efforts elsewhere, but another thing to actually put in extra effort (such as CRT filters) to achieve a particularly dated look.

Of course presentation IS part of the bundle, but I do wonder: Is this reverse graphics-whoring?

And out of curiosity, I wonder whether anyone with a stronger developer background or the OP would weigh in on what the advantages of Unity are for such a project, or whether you might not be better off with something like Godot, or possibly even go all the way back to SDL or Allegro (is it still a thing? I dabbled in it years ago) and implement your own tile-based graphics engine. Would that actually consume more time and effort (and hardware capacity) to achieve the same end than tinkering with Unity does?

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
As delightful as this looks, it does beg a question in my mind: It is one thing to constrain the fidelity of your graphics because you have a limited budget / wish to concentrate your efforts elsewhere, but another thing to actually put in extra effort (such as CRT filters) to achieve a particularly dated look.

Of course presentation IS part of the bundle, but I do wonder: Is this reverse graphics-whoring?

And out of curiosity, I wonder whether anyone with a stronger developer background or the OP would weigh in on what the advantages of Unity are for such a project, or whether you might not be better off with something like Godot, or possibly even go all the way back to SDL or Allegro (is it still a thing? I dabbled in it years ago) and implement your own tile-based graphics engine. Would that actually consume more time and effort (and hardware capacity) to achieve the same end than tinkering with Unity does?

Hi and thanks for your feedback!

First of all, this is a one-man project so the graphics constraints are definitly a necessity. The CRT filter is, in large part, a gimmick that you may choose to apply if you want to. THAT BEING SAID I think there is some merit in thinking that pixel-art originaly was experienced through a filter of some distortion. Experimentation and feedback as I get further down the road will show.

As for Unity there is no advantage in using Unity on the game-logical and graphical side. In fact, I wrote my own tile-based graphics engine within unity to avoid having to use certain Unity features (go figure). The big advantage w Unity is its robust cross-compiler and it's extensive documentation and community. However, my primary reason for ending up w Unity is that I was already working in Unity as I started writing the engine and migrating today won't be worth the risk. Also the SKALD engine can just as easily support 3D graphics and in that sense using Unity might allow for some long term benefits w other projects.

Hope this answers some of your questions? Feel free to reach out w more comments and questions.

AL

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Super lucky to have gotten some awesome art from the talented Marco Pedrana (https://twitter.com/marcopedrana) who did the art for "Aeon of Sands"! Super happy with it and can't wait to use it in the game!

D4BUwklW0AAuPTG.png

Also: Be sure to check out the devlog for updates!

AL

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Just added an animation-system to the game! I've been a bit reluctant to add animation as it will add exponentially to the asset creation workload BUT I'm super happy I did so!

Be sure to check out and follow on https://www.skaldrpg.com/!

Have a great day!

Alchemist

Arcane
Just added an animation-system to the game! I've been a bit reluctant to add animation as it will add exponentially to the asset creation workload BUT I'm super happy I did so!

Be sure to check out and follow on https://www.skaldrpg.com/!

Have a great day!

Looking great - I like this new screen layout much more than what you had previously. It makes a better use of space and is visually pleasing because it's closer to a golden ratio arrangement:
npw5ycw.png

The tile animations are a very nice addition too!

Atrachasis

Augur
Agreed, this is looking nicer and nicer.

Some early games used color cycling for at least some animations - some Ultimas did this for water tiles, for example. Is this the path you are taking as well (for authenticity's sake), or do you have individual animation frames for everything?

In any case, if I might suggest a tiny optimization - the ocean tile animation is rather distracting, perhaps this could be toned down a little.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Looking great - I like this new screen layout much more than what you had previously. It makes a better use of space and is visually pleasing because it's closer to a golden ratio arrangement:
npw5ycw.png

The tile animations are a very nice addition too!

Hi and thanks for the feedback! The golden ratio huh? I gotta say I haven't had it in mind but this makes for interesting food for thought :) Will take it into consideration!

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Agreed, this is looking nicer and nicer.

Some early games used color cycling for at least some animations - some Ultimas did this for water tiles, for example. Is this the path you are taking as well (for authenticity's sake), or do you have individual animation frames for everything?

In any case, if I might suggest a tiny optimization - the ocean tile animation is rather distracting, perhaps this could be toned down a little.

Hi and thanks for some interesting feedback! No I use frame-based animation for everything. Yeah the water tiles - I remember them being epilepsy-inducing in a lot of the Ultima-style games. I won't be changing them for now but further down the line I might make them more subtle :)

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
So with Kickstarter fast approaching there is still room on the drawing-board when it comes to KS rewards. At the moment I'm currently focusing on digital rewards. This is mainly because the work overhead of producing and shipping physical rewards is high for a small team. THAT BEING SAID, I would love to pick your minds concerning what kind of rewards would/could be cool for this kinda game! Anything goes - feelies to partying w the dev! Any suggestions?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I care less and less about anything extraneous beyond the game itself, but good ideas for digital rewards usually are soundtrack (some are good, IMHO many game soundtracks don't really work outside of games as stand-alone listening experience), a large map in png or something other lossless (ideally if its not just a game-map blown up but painted in the style of old maps with monsters on it), art book and/or monster bestiary. Nothing I really need to be honest, but these are nice to have.

Usually I don't care about the whole name a monster, get your picture into the game, etc., also not a big fan of developer diaries (I read a few and realized I don't care too much about the development process when its not focused on technical details but the personal emo-story of the developer, and most of those are)

That said, a developer diary that actually focused on technical details (here's an example of what I mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWQ0591PAxM), I could get behind that.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
I care less and less about anything extraneous beyond the game itself, but good ideas for digital rewards usually are soundtrack (some are good, IMHO many game soundtracks don't really work outside of games as stand-alone listening experience), a large map in png or something other lossless (ideally if its not just a game-map blown up but painted in the style of old maps with monsters on it), art book and/or monster bestiary. Nothing I really need to be honest, but these are nice to have.

Usually I don't care about the whole name a monster, get your picture into the game, etc., also not a big fan of developer diaries (I read a few and realized I don't care too much about the development process when its not focused on technical details but the personal emo-story of the developer, and most of those are)

That said, a developer diary that actually focused on technical details (here's an example of what I mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWQ0591PAxM), I could get behind that.

All great points! I'm planning to commission a hand-drawn map and to have an illustrated manual. These will be png and pdf for sure but might also print them for high backers as a pure courtesy. Also plan on including the soundtrack so that's a great idea! Yeah the "name a monster" is hard since I'm really reluctant to add content that breaks the style and mood of the game and I don't want people suggesting characters called Fighthy McPunchface. IF I allow for something like this I think it will be higher tier and limited in number but more of a "help me design an encounter" where I spend some more time with the backer and do some back and forth.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

All great points! I'm planning to commission a hand-drawn map and to have an illustrated manual. These will be png and pdf for sure but might also print them for high backers as a pure courtesy. Also plan on including the soundtrack so that's a great idea! Yeah the "name a monster" is hard since I'm really reluctant to add content that breaks the style and mood of the game and I don't want people suggesting characters called Fighthy McPunchface. IF I allow for something like this I think it will be higher tier and limited in number but more of a "help me design an encounter" where I spend some more time with the backer and do some back and forth.

If you can afford her rates, hire this woman to draw the hand-drawn map.

https://www.deviantart.com/francescabaerald

Best mapper in the scene. She draws on paper rather than digitally and even writes the place names by hand. Her maps look really authentic medieval/fantasy style.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer

If you can afford her rates, hire this woman to draw the hand-drawn map.

https://www.deviantart.com/francescabaerald

Best mapper in the scene. She draws on paper rather than digitally and even writes the place names by hand. Her maps look really authentic medieval/fantasy style.

I'm a HUGE fan of Francesca and have thought about her already! She would be worth every penny!

That was seriously great video.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Crunching hard to be ready for the June 3rd KICKSTARTER! Thank god I've been super lucky w my freelancers so far - They are literally the best:

MementoMoree has been creating art since his late teenage years. Proficient in most types of art, from pencil & paper to highly detailed 4k textures, he's found solace and pleasure in the retro pixel art!
Twitter: @MementoMoree

Marco Pedrana is a digital and traditional artist (illustration, storyboards, comic art, paintings, installations, pixel art), focusing on narrative art, regardless the media or the scope. He works in advertising and game design (Aeon of Sands: story, texts, graphics, audio, VCS testing). He loves D&D, his cat Agony, Spring, and the sounds coming from the meadow outside his window.
Illustration: www.behance.net/marcopedrana | Fine art: marcopedrana.blogspot.com/

Romanus Surt is a Jack of all trades at Graverobber Foundation and the developer behind Das Geisterschiff. He did the music for the SKALD demo.
Twitter: @surt_r | Web: Das Geistschiff on Steam

Edwin Montgomery is a composer and sound designer for games, films and performance. A long-time RPG obsessive, he wrote the soundtrack for inXile's remastered release of "Wasteland" and is currently working on the 30th Anniversary version. He has created music and sounds for a variety of fantasy game worlds, including Warhammer 40,000, Game of Thrones and Neverwinter. Edwin did the sound design for the SKALD demo.
Twitter: @edwinmmusic | Web: www.edwinmontgomeryaudio.com

Also here is a GIF:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom