Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted Member 22431

ATOM has more references than all Fallouts combined, they're just better written so it's not immediately apparent.

Though some are unmissable if you're an RPG fan.

But it's completely different. I'm too lazy to defend this shit. Here, let me quote Atomboy.

Atomboy said:
We combine the Post-Apocalyptic setting with a different kind of world - The society in our game setting is much closer to medieval than in the titles mentioned. We're working to show how the psychology of the masses changes in the aftermath of everything getting blown to bits. While traveling our world, you will find that most people carry the medieval mythological thinking inside them: in our world legends, myths and gods are born. Bandits act like feudal lords, honest working people regress into peasantry, bureaucrats (not warlords) rule the biggest city on the map, stories of past tech give birth to mystical legends, former Communist Party Members and the KGB become boogeymen that are said to wait for lonely travelers near their hidden installations in the deep woods, magic and witchcraft are explanations many NPCs have for genetic mutations and even the war itself. Our world is as realistic as we can make it while still keeping it fun.

We also lack the common traits of the genre - such as retro-futurism, and weapons and technologies straight out of 50's science fiction. Mostly.

If you can't see how said differences make the game much more serious overall, I don't know what does.

razvedchiki

Erudite
Devs i propose a new difficulty lvl named Red Guard,where resources are scarse enemies kill you if they look at you hard enough and generally cant force your way to victory by bursting like farting after some hefty lunch of beans.

I take it now is as good a time as any to jump in, with the update and all?
I picked it up in the recent sale and I'm waiting until the 1.1 patch before firing it up. Don't know if the patch'll even do anything to super early areas and I don't know how far the dead city is into the game, but figure I may as well wait a couple days.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Why does Alexander spell his name like Western spy?
You mean it should be Aleksandr? Idk, I always write my name with an X so I guess it got translated into the game. The English spelling just always worked for me!
So, Atomboy, when will you stop adding new stuff?

My first playthrough was cut short in Roaring Forest, when I overwrote some saves while in the caverns, my build being woefully underdeveloped to get through them. Then I started playing it again, and I've had so much fun that when I heard about new thingies being added I decided to wait until everything is in, so that I could appreciate it all with fresh eyes.

A few months had passed and I'm still biding my time. It feels like waiting until stuff stops falling out of cornucopia, eternally salivating.
Tomorrow. Maybe some patches along the way, but after tomorrow we're more or less moving ourselves to Trudograd the city that labor built. Thanks for waiting man. After tomorrow there will only be bug fix patches. The add-on will be a new game with save file transition.

Atomboy Trait rework when? :)
This update will feature some rebalancing, but the complete trait overhaul will be in Trudograd, since you're almost certainly gonna start that one on level 20 or so, we'll be adding more stuff to the tree.

Well done game, welll done

2coh00z.jpg
Lol I actually thought the other writer got rid of all those things general Nasty does. Glad they were left in. John Waters would be proud. Divine will have to wait until the sequel though, but eventually atom will do justice to Pink Flamingos ;D

Still no ATOM RPG portraits in this forum.
I officially agree to anyone to posting them if anyone who is tech savvy enough to get them out of the game!

I bought this on the weekend, and holy shit it's good. The humor is great and at points pretty silly but not to the same extent as Fallout 2. The world makes a lot of sense - it's more Fallout 1 than 2 in that regard.
It is much more down to earth than both Fallouts. I never liked those pop references and whatnot.
Thanks, man. We try to keep most of them on dog whistle level. Some do escape this fate, though. Especially in Russian. BUT NOR FOR THE LACK OF TRYING!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer

Thanks for sharing, man! I fell asleep at the table last night so couldn't post shit!

I take it now is as good a time as any to jump in, with the update and all?
Yeah, the best time. There will be no major additions to the original game after tomorrow. Only a big add-on in the future which will function as an independent game.

so dead city will be a full on hub like the first map and mountain pass? will there another huge settlement?
There will be big bases for the two major factions of the city. Both will have quests, merch and other stuff.
Also a family estate that will forever strand atom on the fringe side of indie games along with Hatred and that Columbine RPG.

ATOM devs, any plans to participate in GOG Connect in the near future?
I explained what it is to the programmers, and I see nothing bad happening if we do it with the add on or maybe the whole game I guess. We didn't have enough time to properly talk about it since February, when I first read about it.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Devs i propose a new difficulty lvl named Red Guard,where resources are scarse enemies kill you if they look at you hard enough and generally cant force your way to victory by bursting like farting after some hefty lunch of beans.
Ha! So iron man not enough for ya huh? :D Well Trudograd will be insanely hard so there's that...

ADL

Prophet
I'm really hoping for the whole game via GOG Connect because I bought it on Steam due to the staggered launch for GOG even though I really prefer GOG. Hope it happens. Thanks!

Technomancer

Liturgist
So what's up with the power armor? Is it a secret feature in this final update or will you sell it as part of the future DLC?

Vityaz

Augur
Been away from this game for a while. Can we finally use shields and backpacks at the same time?

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
I'm really hoping for the whole game via GOG Connect because I bought it on Steam due to the staggered launch for GOG even though I really prefer GOG. Hope it happens. Thanks!
We'll talk about it, this I promise!

So what's up with the power armor? Is it a secret feature in this final update or will you sell it as part of the future DLC?
We decided that PA is more suitable for a high tech place that didn't turn into a weirdo village, but survived and kept on developing old world knowledge to some extent (while being a weirdo village in other aspects) so it will most probably appear in Trudograd maybe as a one of a kind prototype and will probably have the ability to be transported into base game, since you will have travel from base game to the Add-on. The update of may 29th will have ankheg armor tho!
Can you play as General Nasty?
NO! Will you be able to romance someone close to him in Trudograd? Probably not, but maybe yes.

Atomboy I assume the content patch will be save game compatible so I can just continue my current game?
Yes!
Been away from this game for a while. Can we finally use shields and backpacks at the same time?
Nope! But shield wielders say they are now better, so I guess it's worth losing extra carry weight for all that protection.

Technomancer

Liturgist
We decided that PA is more suitable for a high tech place that didn't turn into a weirdo village, but survived and kept on developing old world knowledge to some extent (while being a weirdo village in other aspects) so it will most probably appear in Trudograd maybe as a one of a kind prototype
Makes sense to sell it, I'm certain it was complicated to develop, both in design and model. Will it function as a simple full body suit or will it be more like in F4 - a sort of exosuit vehicle?

What about museum DLC that you mentioned, is planned still or it's part of the Trudograd addon content?

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
We decided that PA is more suitable for a high tech place that didn't turn into a weirdo village, but survived and kept on developing old world knowledge to some extent (while being a weirdo village in other aspects) so it will most probably appear in Trudograd maybe as a one of a kind prototype
Makes sense to sell it, I'm certain it was complicated to develop, both in design and model. Will it function as a simple full body suit or will it be more like in F4 - a sort of exosuit vehicle?

What about museum DLC that you mentioned, is planned still or it's part of the Trudograd addon content?
Trudograd is so big, it will have a place for everything. However, the shashka (slavic sabre sword) will be available tomorrow, I decided not to make people wait for it. Now the shin or kyu guntou will take the "rare sword item" place. It's a sword the Japanese used in world wars and vs Russia so it could technically be a trophy weapon on display and also anime kids will like it and larp samurais and narutoes. We're only playing with player models in PA so it's hard to give details, but it will change the player model, so it won't be just clothes. It will have it's own skeleton and move set. Brotherhood armor from 1 and 2 and PA from STALKER comes to mind. Not a vehicle, not a suit, more of a mix.

Technomancer

Liturgist
We're only playing with player models in PA so it's hard to give details, but it will change the player model, so it won't be just clothes. It will have it's own skeleton and move set. Brotherhood armor from 1 and 2 and PA from STALKER comes to mind. Not a vehicle, not a suit, more of a mix.
Thanks for sharing. If it's not a metal pajama it will be worth the wait.

when I first tried to play this game I really liked it only problem was for some reason it made my computer fan spin so hard and fast my laptop lifted off the table like a UFO and then after a moment of destabilized flight flipped on to the floor and landed right in the dogs water bowl and I just got a new computer yesterday....has this issue been solved? TIA

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
when I first tried to play this game I really liked it only problem was for some reason it made my computer fan spin so hard and fast my laptop lifted off the table like a UFO and then after a moment of destabilized flight flipped on to the floor and landed right in the dogs water bowl and I just got a new computer yesterday....has this issue been solved? TIA
Yup. We fixed that issue. Had to do with some integrated video cards.

Yup. We fixed that issue. Had to do with some integrated video cards.

sweet! Because I really was having fun with the game, best fallout type game I have played since fallout 2...looking forward to getting back to it..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom