Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline LotR Digital Card Game is amazing

mastroego

Arcane
So I've mentioned this a couple of times but I feel that, having surpassed the 50 hrs threshold of an Early Access game, I ought to provide a mini-review.

So I've always loved the mechanics of card games but I could never be a dedicated player, because 1) the business model is a literal and degenerate money drain and 2) I prefer SP games to play at my leisure.
Yet I still feel like I'm missing out on something I would enjoy.
:negative:
There WAS a little game which somehow took the fun part of card games and made it into a SP game. I'm talking about Card Hunter: it was a nice little game indeed, but I could never really get into its business model either, plus the presentation is silly, and so on.

When I heard about LotR Living Card Game (digital), despite it being in Early Access, I had to try, even though I felt quite sure I was wasting a few dollars.
But I thought what the hell.
For those who don't know, it's the transposition of a co-op physical card game, where the usual 2-player symmetry is replaced by an asymmetrical fight against a foe who runs a "boss deck that goes on autopilot". The deck is made exactly for this purpose so you don't need someone to play against, and, more importantly, a computer program can handle it just as you would with the physical version.
Now, the digital version isn't an exact reproduction of the original game, as far as its mechanics and the specific cards go. There have been complaints about this, but I think the developers made the right choice. Now, I don't know the original game well, but I know, for instance, that the "Ranged" keyword practically only had reason to exist in co-op play, whereas it's been reworked (imho for the better) in the digital version.
The spell casting has been simplified (more complaints here), and other things were changed, but at the end of the day you should consider the digital version a different incarnation of the same idea: what matters is that it's fun and it does provide a challenge.

Why I'm greatly enjoying it:
  • The business model is reasonable and clean (so far). Randomness is made away: you buy full expansions.
  • The art is fantastic
  • Voice acting is superb
  • The music evokes the sound of the movies (ofc), but in a good way
  • It oozes flavor everywhere thanks to the attention to detail. Example: special hero rewards cards!
  • Or the "Fleeting" keyword for Istaris... genius!
  • It's challenging. I mean there are difficulty settings but, on average, it will kick your ass if you don't do your homework.
  • You do need to acquire better cards and create more efficient decks to progress with the quests.
  • ...and you'll need to go beyond a superficial understanding of the mechanics.
  • The quests do make a good use, and sometimes a clever use, of said mechanics
  • The game makes you want to play to acquire the missing cards
  • ... because while get the basic set of cards with each expansion, you need to EARN the additional ones.
  • You can get additional cards as Quest rewards, Hero rewards, and by trading them with Valor points
  • Valor points are basically tied to the scoring system, but at the end of the day they are a by-product of playing
  • It has now a tutorial to get you started. The tutorial might even kick your newfag ass if you don't pay attention.
  • No perceivable SJW influence. I mean it's LotR and the title remained under the radar so far.
So far, it seems they're getting just about everything right.
SO FAR - I mean, granted, caution is always advisable.
Also, Early Access: expect unfinished stuff and some bugs. Only fair, right?

I think monocled Codexers should consider giving this title a chance. One can see it's been made with care, you don't get to see that often. :obviously:

Oh, I think Valor Points rewards are higher ATM because they do want people to test cards at this stage.
I for one still miss a few BTW.

mastroego

Arcane
Oh come on, you know what I meant.
It's a card game so it ALSO needs the flavor.
Voice acting is an additional tool used to provide it... admittedly a little overkill for a card game, yep, but it's quality work, so.

Never played that Lotr card game, but I've been getting into card games again after Hearthstone, mostly been playing Warhammer Champions on the Switch? You ever played it? It's pretty polished as well, I'm loving it.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

J1M

Arcane
Sounds similar to the Pathfinder card game. Has OP played that?

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So it's just singleplayer? How much content is there? Are the mechanics similar to any other card game on the market (Hearthstone, MtG)?

mastroego

Arcane
Never played that Lotr card game, but I've been getting into card games again after Hearthstone, mostly been playing Warhammer Champions on the Switch? You ever played it? It's pretty polished as well, I'm loving it.
No, haven't tried it. Is it Single Player friendly?

Sounds similar to the Pathfinder card game. Has OP played that?
I haven't played that either,. sorry.
I'm not into Pathfinder, I find the art ugly and I'm annoyed by the politics forced into it, so I didn't even check it out, I'll admit.
I would be surprised if it were on the same quality level of LotR BTW (considering the EA status, I mean).

So it's just singleplayer? How much content is there? Are the mechanics similar to any other card game on the market (Hearthstone, MtG)?
Single player or CO-OP.
That's what sets it apart from the other card games I know, and the reason I got into it.
Content is still limited, being Early Access: two full campaigns and two "special challenge" stand-alone quests, that will kick your ass indeed.
Yet I've already reached 60 hrs of play: you'll want to replay the campaigns as you get better, try the harder difficulties, try different decks, unlock more cards....

It's not that similar to MtG. The asymmetrical, questing structure, for starters, feels very different than facing a live opponent. If you want that, well, there are all the other card games, but the quests are nice.
The mechanics are also different and you'll need to get into the "groove". For instance, you don't get structured turns to do your set-up, just a single action (either cast something, or attack, or guard, and so on) each time then you have to pass the turn to Sauron.
This tends to make choices rather poignant, especially in the beginning of the confrontation.

It's really a good, well polished (for Early Access) product. I'm very happy with the purchase so far. :)

J1M

Arcane
If you decide to play Pathfinder Adventures I recommend getting it from Steam. The cards are all unlocked. The mobile version has some kind of grinding.

The game has a mechanic where you can play a card in different ways that interacts well with the persistent deck building. (ie. get an extra benefit for removing a card from the match or from your deck permanently)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say the game is generous enough, and there is a good campaign which will have you try out different decks in order to defeat an AI with extremely... favourable conditions.

I don't think the game is available for PC. Only Switch and Mobile at the moment.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, I'd say the game is generous enough, and there is a good campaign which will have you try out different decks in order to defeat an AI with extremely... favourable conditions.

I don't think the game is available for PC. Only Switch and Mobile at the moment.

Of course it is on PC. You can find it on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom