Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It will be [that DG game ] about tranny and gay armada taking attack on heterosexual part of space. Our main character is tranny space Gaylord wih brave team of similar characters and player role is to make space into one big rainbow experience of weird love. All heterosexuals will be depicted as nazis and intelectual low collective of various rednecks.

Some brave soul should really make this parody game.

"Space Gaylord and his loyal sidekick Xir Transperson fight the Intergalactic Patriarchy"

Basically fighting those guys

Mandella is finally reunited with her and several other veterans and relocates to Middle Finger, the only planet in the universe where humans are still allowed to live the type of life they did before the war, as individuals, conceiving and raising children in the old-fashioned way.

RickOmbo

Learned
Now I don't even know what brings more shame to a person, being a happy Star Citizen backer or being one of Subverse.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zPhpxYD7f8#t=1453s

"Our servers are full, we cannot put anymore content on them."

lol holy poo poo

I guess some tech leads not pushing back at people enough. This game always had some feature creep run amok vibe to it.
I am not sure container streaming is even going to help solve the problem anyway, considering the actual scale that this is supposed to be on, the amount of players that should be playing concurrently, AND that it's all meant to be real-time. I'm not a professional by any means, but my guess would be that network/memory lag would cause things to not load correctly, which in turn would lead to further and further problems. Seeing how some things aren't loading correctly now, I do wonder what all that will be when they manage to add OCS.

There are no players because there is no game.

Jeeeeezus. Are you also waiting for Bitcoins to hit $30000 or Trump to be impeached?

ANY DAY NOW!

Look at that retard at 27:30 in the video.

When can I have a pet volleyball in the game *soylaugh*

Dude.

That's like me asking when can I have a fuzzy dice in my Bugatti Veyron.

WHERE IS THE FUCKING GAME?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Everything in this video is so fake :lol:

Fake developers talking meaningless shit about fake technology, fake interviewers asking fake questions, fake people pretending to be excited about a game that will never exist.
It's cringeworthy like watching one of those scripted trash shows in TV.

ADL

Prophet
At this point y'all are just willfully ignorant and shitposting considering there's a free flight event where you can play the game for free every 3-4 months. I notice no one ever posts those dates or posts about trying it out. There are legitimate concerns about Star Citizen but "where's the fucking game" is not one of them.

Angthoron

Arcane
At this point y'all are just willfully ignorant and shitposting considering there's a free flight event where you can play the game for free every 3-4 months. I notice no one ever posts those dates or posts about trying it out. There are legitimate concerns about Star Citizen but "where's the fucking game" is not one of them.

I tried the free flight on the last day they had it.

...lol

That's from the last one. Sadly, he didn't post his experiences even though we asked. I do recall someone posted about the free weekend prior to that. It's just that it's hard to get excited about a broken tech demo that hasn't got a bare minimum of gameplay loops to justify a download of a hundred or so gigs. Besides, most people haven't been upgrading their computers to keep up with SC-specific hardware demands, like industry-grade SSDs, newest GPUs and so on, so even if they'd download and try it, the legit concerns would be "This thing didn't even launch/this thing took 3 hours to load and then crashed/This thing has the worst FPS rates I've seen in a couple of decades"

Might be better off with people just shitposting.

ADL

Prophet
Star Citizen hasn't been a 100GB install/download in like two and a half years since the delta installer was implemented in late 2017.
G7eCDTV.png

Regarding hardware
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PyTdyX
https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-003A-00010?Description=RX 580&cm_re=RX_580-_-9SIA4RE93K4231-_-Product
$402 for a Ryzen quad core system, 16GB of high speed memory, a 480GB SSD and a graphics card that will run anything you throw at it 40-60FPS maxed out (Star Citizen included) for less than five dollars the difference of a Playstation 4 Pro and a hundred bucks less than the One X. Add another $50 by doubling the video memory in that 580 and it'll run everything at 1440p.
Nothing about it is unreasonably demanding.

Angthoron

Arcane
Star Citizen hasn't been a 100GB install/download in like two and a half years since the delta installer was implemented in late 2017.
G7eCDTV.png

Regarding hardware
https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-003A-00010?Description=RX 580&cm_re=RX_580-_-9SIA4RE93K4231-_-Product
$402 for a Ryzen quad core system, 16GB of high speed memory, a 480GB SSD and a graphics card that will run anything you throw at it 40-60FPS maxed out (Star Citizen included) for less than five dollars the difference of a Playstation 4 Pro and a hundred bucks less than the One X. Add another $50 by doubling the video memory in that 580 and it'll run everything at 1440p.
So you suggest people shell out $402 to try out a tech demo? Well okay, nothing unreasonable at all.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
G7eCDTV.png

Regarding hardware
You missed out the graphics card on pcpartpicker, so the final price is 511 dollars.

ADL

Prophet
You missed out the graphics card on pcpartpicker, so the final price is 511 dollars.
There's two links in my post. The 580 I linked is $109
Total: $402

So you suggest people shell out $402 to try out a tech demo? Well okay, nothing unreasonable at all.
I suggest having acceptable hardware for TYOOL 2019 before shitting on the game's optimization and system requirements because it doesn't run on your Pentium 3. As long as you've built a PC in the last five to seven years, it should meet the system requirements just fine.

There is absolutely nothing unreasonable in the suggestion that the audience for this game should already have an SSD either (and if you don't, get one, they're less than ten cents a gigabyte these days).

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh there's a tech demo that only level 5 Thetans who donate a minimum of $1000 and submit to 3 auditing sessions can join, every few months?

Well yeah excuse me, that's definitely the same as an actual game. Totally. Pardon my ignorance.

Angthoron

Arcane
I suggest having acceptable hardware for TYOOL 2019 before shitting on the game's optimization and system requirements because it doesn't run on your Pentium 3. As long as you've built a PC in the last five to seven years, it should meet the system requirements just fine.

There is absolutely nothing unreasonable in the suggestion that the audience for this game should already have an SSD either (and if you don't, get one, they're less than ten cents a gigabyte these days).
Lol. So I guess my PC that runs everything I want on Ultra needs an upgrade just because some amazing people took CryEngine 2.something and tried to squeeze a space sim into it and now are admitting they kinda can't do it with the current tech in their own videos. Yeah okay, whatever you say man. I guess they really optimize it well, but it's my Pentium 3.

I don't really know how to break it to you so I'll give you an example.

You see, I'm a huge fan of Transport Tycoon, and TTDX. I love them, and wish there were games that would play like them but would look modern. I usually buy a Yet Another TTDX Clone and end up disappointed.

Now imagine that Chris Sawyer would come back and pitch it on KS, end up with success, set up his fundraiser site and started selling trucks, planes etc in a game to keep the funding rolling. At the same time the whole thing would run like trash (though it would look like whatever the best looking driving sim it was in 2014), have a near-non-existent gameplay loop, and have crazy supporters coming to every forum and telling how everyone should try it out and upgrade their PCs because LOL R U A PC GAMURRRR OR NOT OLOLO 1440P GAMING FUCKING SCRUBS. It would also promise the most amazing tycoon game in the history of everything.

Now, I, as a huge fan of this dead niche genre, could possibly be a big dummy and buy into it.

However, everyone else that isn't? They'd probably call me a big dummy and have some laughs about Transport Tycoon Citizen Persistent Globe that is still about half a decade away from any kind of completion and how maybe picking Unity 1.3 wasn't the best idea for an MMO and nobody wanted an MMO to begin with.

Do you see what I am getting at here?

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

Lol. So I guess my PC that runs everything I want on Ultra needs an upgrade just because some amazing people took CryEngine 2.something and tried to squeeze a space sim into it and now are admitting they kinda can't do it with the current tech in their own videos. Yeah okay, whatever you say man. I guess they really optimize it well, but it's my Pentium 3.

I don't really know how to break it to you so I'll give you an example.

You see, I'm a huge fan of Transport Tycoon, and TTDX. I love them, and wish there were games that would play like them but would look modern. I usually buy a Yet Another TTDX Clone and end up disappointed.

Now imagine that Chris Sawyer would come back and pitch it on KS, end up with success, set up his fundraiser site and started selling trucks, planes etc in a game to keep the funding rolling. At the same time the whole thing would run like trash (though it would look like whatever the best looking driving sim it was in 2014), have a near-non-existent gameplay loop, and have crazy supporters coming to every forum and telling how everyone should try it out and upgrade their PCs because LOL R U A PC GAMURRRR OR NOT OLOLO 1440P GAMING FUCKING SCRUBS. It would also promise the most amazing tycoon game in the history of everything.

Now, I, as a huge fan of this dead niche genre, could possibly be a big dummy and buy into it.

However, everyone else that isn't? They'd probably call me a big dummy and have some laughs about Transport Tycoon Citizen Persistent Globe that is still about half a decade away from any kind of completion and how maybe picking Unity 1.3 wasn't the best idea for an MMO and nobody wanted an MMO to begin with.

Winner, winner. Chicken dinner.

ADL

Prophet
Oh there's a tech demo that only level 5 Thetans who donate a minimum of $1000 and submit to 3 auditing sessions can join, every few months?

Well yeah excuse me, that's definitely the same as an actual game. Totally. Pardon my ignorance.
Meanwhile I'm playing the game using the package I got off Kickstarter for $25 and I'm having a hell of a time and if not for the progression wipes, I'd have earned one of the ships they sell to whales for $800 through casual gameplay with some friends. You people are in your own little world it seems. Like I said, willful ignorance and it's funny watching the narrative change as more and more people realize you're spewing bullshit.
No, I don't because I actually play the game and I get 40-80FPS on a system very similar to the one I linked earlier for whopping two whole dollars more than the Playstation 4 Pro ($402) and it has been that way for about three years now. SSDs are or should be an expectation by now. A processor more powerful than the i5 2600K should be the expectation by now. A graphic card at the performance level of the GTX970 should be the expectation by now and it's getting to the point where everyone should have 16GB of memory too... But who knows, maybe if you wait for the 1.0 release it'll run okay on 8GB.

Object container streaming is only half implemented. By the time the rest of the optimization-related tech is implemented, I will certainly have a new computer by then but even if I didn't, I expect a 20-30% performance gain over where I'm at now which would put me at 60 minimum. Pretty damn good for graphics card you can currently get for $100 in a game that allegedly "runs like trash". 40FPS in an unfinished MMO in an alpha state is trash to you? I think it looks and runs pretty great for what it is. Here's a screenshot I took the other day. High settings, not maxed out.
tfLxTPS.jpg

Also the gameplay loop is fine and there's already plenty of content created by hand. There's plenty of activities and that's without Q4's dynamic mission system. It's all here in black and white. The roadmap clearly shows what has been added in the game in the last 12 months. It's a lot. For anyone else reading any of this, don't listen to me but especially don't listen to this dude either. Go try it, it's free every couple weeks. You're being fed bullshit in an echochamber of negativity. I'm not saying it's sunshine and rainbows. It's buggy and you'll have more than a couple dumb deaths but it's not the disaster y'all are describing.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

Last edited:

Morkar Left

High hardware specs are not Star Citizens problem. They may be one problem but nobody would give a fuck if the game would be there. Wing Commander was famous for making people buy new hardware just to get it running (or trying to squeeze the last bit of performance out of weaker systems by modifying the autoexec.bat).
The problem is, that the game is already in development for 7 years and it's still in Alpha. After 7 years! And Squadron 42 - which would have been "standard" space opera shooter like CR used to make and serve as a cash in for the SC isn't released either.

It's great that you have so much fun with the alpha but it's not a game and it won't be a game - especially not the one promised - after another 7 years. Everything else is delusional.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hey guys Tesla autopilot will only get better. Are you sure you are running the latest version? It is very misinformative to post your opinions based on an outdated version, they have changed a l-

Oh, wrong thread.

ADL

Prophet
A good portion of those seven years was scaling up from 7 employees to 500+ employees and opening five studios in three continents to be fair. Under a traditional publisher, there's a good chance no one would even know this exists yet and that'd be with the benefit of having the scope and budget set in stone and having a studio already. CIG didn't have that. They didn't know their Kickstarter game with a goal of $2 million would raise almost $250 million.

Be reasonable and say development truly started in mid-2014, we're five years in and the overwhelming majority of the foundation of the game is already implemented. Sounds pretty typical of a modern, big budget MMO to me (ESO, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV took seven years to make). The MMOs I'm currently playing were in development for seven years each. Also Squadron 42 also increased in scope and relies on a lot of the tech that is being built for Star Citizen. None of this is unreasonable given some context.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
A good portion of those seven years was scaling up from 7 employees to 500+ employees and opening five studios in three continents to be fair. Under a traditional publisher, there's a good chance no one would even know this exists yet and that'd be with the benefit of having the scope and budget set in stone and having a studio already. CIG didn't have that. They didn't know their Kickstarter game with a goal of $2 million would raise almost $250 million.

Be reasonable and say development truly started in mid-2014, we're five years in and the overwhelming majority of the foundation of the game is already implemented. Sounds pretty typical of a modern, big budget MMO to me (ESO, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV took seven years to make). The MMOs I'm currently playing were in development for seven years each. Also Squadron 42 also increased in scope and relies on a lot of the tech that is being built for Star Citizen. None of this is unreasonable given some context.

Thats why they keep selling JPEGs of ships that will not see the light of the game in another 3 years right? :lol:

While I never get on "this is a scam" train, it shows that at best CIG is grossly mis-managing the project. At one point after getting 250 million USD the people in charge should say: "Here is the scope we are going, the rest of the money will be put to polish and maybe future expansion"

Instead we have CIG keep overpromising stuff that AAA developers with actual experience would say "nope" even with ASCII graphics. Instead CIG went full bananas because they know their well is running dry and the only way they could finish the game was getting more and more funds.

Angthoron

Arcane
No, I don't
Of course you don't.

Also the gameplay loop is fine and there's already plenty of content created by hand. There's plenty of activities and that's without Q4's dynamic mission system. It's all here in black and white. The roadmap clearly shows what has been added in the game in the last 12 months. It's a lot. For anyone else reading any of this, don't listen to me but especially don't listen to this dude either. Go try it, it's free every couple weeks. You're being fed bullshit in an echochamber of negativity. I'm not saying it's sunshine and rainbows. It's buggy and you'll have more than a couple dumb deaths but it's not the disaster y'all are describing.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

I know you won't understand it again, but here it is: Most normal people don't give a fuck about a broken tech demo pre-alpha of a highly marginal and dead sub-genre. But keep doing what you're doing, it's fun for the rest to look at. Just don't try to tell people it's got loads of gameplay loops and content and is very far along in development because that'll just make me post video clips from said game loops and content from people that don't LARP a spaceman but actually, like, expect a game of some sort.

Dark Memes Don't Die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom