Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [LP CYOA] I'm a High Tech Hobo Who Stumbled into Another World While Out Scavenging For Parts

Kipeci

Arcane
When it comes to the small, independent workshops, there's really only one that stood out to me this past week. Some down-on-his-luck former champion running a glory-days-gone-by shack of a workshop. Haven't paid him a visit though, clearly he's not going to be able to pay well compared to the bigger guilds.

Could be worth a visit to talk after getting some work from the others (still prefer Scarlet Queens), though not sure if it'd be best to join him on a long term basis since as a former champion I guess his profile probably isn't as low as the other independents which was the advantage in going for them. Say, how exclusive are these guilds? Does anyone ever bounce around from one to the other or does that flitting around get them short a finger?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The workshops themselves can get pretty exclusive, or so I've heard. Something something trade secrets something. Seems likely that you could get your throat slit over it if you're in the know and decide to tempt fate for money by jumping ship. Of course they're probably not going to teach a newbie all the super secret techniques, not like that's gonna stop a trained techhobo but whatever makes them feel comfy.

Absinthe

Arcane
Down on his luck champion > Scarlet Queens > Junkyard

Seems like those are our best odds. Down on his luck champion is probably the best opportunity to achieve dramatic success. After that, something tells me we'd ace our way into the Scarlet Queens, and that they probably don't have the best men. And given that the Scarlet Queens have the reigning arena champion, they're a solid choice to establish ourselves.

Vote catalog:
Baltika9 - Iron Gauntlet Junkyard
Nevill - Demon's Tongue Scarlet Queens
Lightbane - Junkyard
Baud - Junkyard
Azira - Divine Hammer
Kipeci - Scarlet Queens
ERYFKRAD - Junkyard
Grimgravy - Junkyard
Kz3r0 - Junkyard
Tigranes - Scarlet Queens > Junkyard
daveyarsegallant - Scarlet Queens
The Brazilian Slaughter - Junkyard Former champion > Junkyard
MoistCloister - Scarlet Queens
Absinthe - Down on his luck champion > Scarlet Queens > Junkyard
asxetos - Scarlet Queens
Egosphere - Scarlet Queens
Lambchop19 - Demon's Tongue > Junkyard
Esquilax - Junkyard
Chumbucket - Junkyard
CappenVarra - Demon's Tongue​

Tally:
Demon's Tongue 3
Divine Hammer 1
Junkyard 8 (11)
Scarlet Queens 8
Former champion 2​

Results tied.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Baltika9 - Iron Gauntlet Junkyard
Lightbane - Junkyard
Baud - Junkyard
ERYFKRAD - Junkyard
Grimgravy - Junkyard
Kz3r0 - Junkyard
The Brazilian Slaughter - Junkyard
asxetos - Scarlet Queens
MoistCloister - Scarlet Queens
daveyarsegallant - Scarlet Queens
Tigranes - Scarlet Queens > Junkyard
Kipeci - Scarlet Queens
Absinthe - Down on his luck champion > Scarlet Queens > Junkyard
Excluding me and Azira who voted for the outliers, Junkyard seems to lead by 1, 7 to 6.

Of the two, I'd probably choose SQ, since Junkyard seems to be a bit too perfect a fit for a hobo, so much so that I want to try something different. Of course, gravitating towards the biggest concentration of women is not anything new for Codex quests either...

Absinthe

Arcane
If you don't want either, I'm not sure why you don't just go for the former champ. If we want something really different from the norm though, I'd say Divine Hammer or Nine Toes.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Setting up a new computer, gimme until the weekend. What's the consensus, Junkyard?

treave, how many workers does ex-champ Tyson have in his shop? Who are his fighters?

Word on the street is that his last fighter just walked the other week. He's only got one mechanic, his kid.

Esquilax

Arcane
I like the idea of our hobo being a greasy hustler who uses this stupid competition to make money.

It's like this joke I heard some time ago: "Who made the most money in the Gold Rush?" "The guy selling pickaxes"

Tigranes

Arcane
Yep. Our thought shouldn't be to compete with everybody in the arena or the junkyard, but to set up a crucial middleman position.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

First of all, I'm surprised no one tagged me.

Second of all, you guys actually want him to join a guild full of "women" you've never seen with QUEENS in the name? IT'S A TRAP!

Should have picked Demon's Tongue. They sound like respectable folk - and more importantly monied folk. Or the Junkyard.

Speaking of demons...
Yeah, I’m in prison. I didn’t do nothing wrong, probably, except stumble drunk into some glowing blue portal and accidentally falling on top of some pretty princess. Might’ve got a bit handsy here and there when I had the chance, but who wouldn’t? Sure there was a fair distance between the summoning circle and the princess but hey, momentum is momentum. And I was drunk.
The people of this kingdom are truly dastardly.

All our hobo friend did was get a little friendly with the princess. Aren't you SUPPOSED to be friendly to royalty?? FFS.

The bitch probably set the whole thing up as part of some elaborate plan, or maybe even just for attention. You know how women are, right?
I couldn’t quite understand the explanation, but it seems that this hero summoning ritual happens once a century or so. There are pulses of magical power running underneath the earth that form leylines, apparently treated as the circulatory system of the planet. Syagrius just happens to lie on a particularly potent node which allows them to power the summoning. As for the heroes’ mission, they are supposed to act as some quasi-religious diplomats to travel the countries and gain allies on a pilgrimage in order to fight a – get a load of this – a Demon King which is slated to appear sometime in the coming years.
If the people of this country are as evil as they appear to be, this "demon king" guy might actually just be another one of their victims.

Clearly, hobo, you should do everything in your power to find any followers of this "demon king" and assist them against this kingdom of stuck up, scheming ne'er-do-wells!

ChumBucket

Augur
(pokes his head out of his lurker hole)...
Treave is running an lp again?
Sign me up.

Junkyard, put those hobo skills to good use.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like the idea of our hobo being a greasy hustler who uses this stupid competition to make money.

It's like this joke I heard some time ago: "Who made the most money in the Gold Rush?" "The guy selling pickaxes"

A more modern one would be last year's bitcoin craze, where GPU vendors made a killing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom