Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite game of all time?

Deleted member 7219

TIE Fighter CD.

Firstly, it provides some much needed nuance to the Star Wars universe. It’s like they watched the Imperial officers in the films, like Piett, Veers, and thought, “Yes, those guys aren’t psychopaths, they believe in what they are doing and think they are bringing peace and order to the galaxy. Let’s make a game about them.”

Something like this wouldn’t get made now. Sure you can play the ‘bad’ guy in some modern games (mainly RPGs) but only as a psychopath. And look at the new Star Wars films. The First Order are a bunch of raging crybaby losers. Who’d want to be one of those guys?

As far as the gameplay, there’s hours of campaigns taking you from just after the Battle of Hoth to just before the Battle of Endor. You’ll battle Rebels, pirates, aliens who just want to screw with Imperial interests, and a guy who tries to overthrow the Emperor and take the Empire for himself.

Missions have bonus objectives, promoting replay and doing more than just what you get told in the briefing.

Cheating doesn’t pay off. If you cheat you don’t unlock the Secret Order ranks, which have some cool cutscenes. DOS pixel art cutscenes. Playing the game well is tough to do, especially in later battles where there are some very fast and hard hitting fighters, but it brings a great sense of accomplishment when you manage to scrap through with a few secondary goals here and there.

What makes it even more memorable is the music that reacts to in game events and even your own actions, and fully voiced dialogue. Back in the mid to late 90s this was a rarity. Hearing the Imperial March play as a Star Destroyer exits hyperspace right in front of you, coming to your rescue, is one of the best moments I’ve had in gaming.

I think the main reason it is my favourite game is because it was the first game I really thought was perfect. I had played others which bored me or had glaring flaws up to that point. It definitely got me into PC gaming and away from consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyr

Arcane
Medieval: Total War

the first time I played that game I played it for about 2 hours and then I had to visit the nearest castle. it was a rather dark and rainy day and there weren't many people on that castle other than me so I got some really nice atmosphere going. nothing better than enjoying a castle in the rain. after a while I went back home and played Medieval for the rest of the day. so not only is Medieval a fantastic game but I also get that sweet memory back every time I play it. :shittydog:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Nostalgia/childhood pick would be Zelda Link to the Past.

Modern PC favorite would probably be AGEOD's Civil War II. Out of all their strategy games, it's one that works the best, fairly large but contained scope (American continent), and the balance between north and south economies works for those wanting to go the historic route, but with enough options to attempt wacky a-historical outcomes. Overall it's just an excellent strategy game. Second runner-up would probably go to the original Combat Mission.

probably elite 2 - frontier, because i'm an astronomyfag and because i hadn't much else to play on the amiga :V as for sentimental value, i'd go for deus ex (the first pc game i played, on my first pc, which made it show its muscles, was something new, completely new, not some old stuff on steroids) tied with system shock 2 (played almost at the same time, sort of similar game, but its atmosphere really stood out and i absolutely loved most of the audio logs). third place to bloodlines, because, barring bugs and sewer fights, was almost perfection.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Wizardry7Box.jpg

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Badmojo.jpg

Maybe not the best I played but this was the first PC game I owned and I have still to this day very fond memories of it.
The atmosphere was absolutely top-notch.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I usually like to pick one from each genre, since I don't think comparing across genres makes sense, but since you told me to pick one with a gun to my head... Fallout.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Morrowind. I bought an xbox just to play it because I couldn't afford a PC. Massive freedom, world-building and imagination fueled exploitation of its systems appealed to my teenage self like nothing else. I doubt I'll ever feel the same about a video game again.

:negative:

Warlords Battlecry series was a close second.

Swigen

Arbiter
1053545159.jpg

point_blank_20060405.jpg

point-blank-10.png

Point Blank Trilogy - PlayStation One

Know about these gaems? Lemme tell you about these games. In these games you shoot them all, skeletons, chickens, piranhas, balloons. You think Hogan’s Alley is tough? I didn’t even tell you about the time you have to shoot a leaf! This game uses the most accurate light gun EVER MADE, the Namco Guncon! It was so accurate you could aim down the sights just liek a real life gun and it was super comfy to hold!

latest

They’ll never make games like these ever again on account of the death of tube televisions. Apparently the disappearance of light gun along with ridiculous input lag was an acceptable trade off for having liek 2 extra inches of screen space for yore ammo count and mini map in Call of Duty.

I recommend this game to anyone who still has a tube television in their attic and wishes they had something to do with it besides hooking up a Sega and playing Earthworm Jim ‘til the water level.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Beyond Good and Evil
I just love this game with its art style, the soundtrack, the 3rd person stealth and action gameplay mix and the vehicle sections. And of course the unique Sci-Fi conspiracy story. Also Jade is one of gamings best female protagonist because she is actually more than just a man with a pair of tits.
BGE is probably not the best game ever but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it every time I replay it.
Second favourite is Fallout New Vegas.

Quillon

Arcane
Vegas, baby.

RPG - New Vegas
Tactical - nu-Xcoms
Action - Mafia 1/Max Payne 2/GTA SA/Onimusha 3
FPS - MoH:AA/CoD 1&4/Far Cry 1
Sim - ArmA 3/Cities Skylines
Racing - GRID 1/NFS Underground 1
RTS - Age of Mythology
Adventure - Condemned CO/Broken Sword 3
Sport - PES 6
MMO - Age of Conan

Last edited:

RickOmbo

Learned
P&C - Gabriel Knight: Sins Of The Father
Beat 'em up - God Hand
Puzzler - Portal 2/Puzzle Agent
RPG - There are no good RPGs, only serviceable ones with good elements.

Last edited:

Darkest Hour. A mod for 41-45 Red Orchestra Ost Front. Literally have 3,500+ hours in it.

It has a shit ton of maps, weapons - basically more content than you could ever even want. The Devs/community are still updating it do this day despite it being 11 years old.

The mod has a fantastic, balanced blend of well thought-out realism that immerses the player in a brutal world war 2 experience, while still being relatively fast paced. Think of RO2, except much more hardcore and unforgiving.

And most of the time, you're as much use to the team as the mutilated, limb-less comrade next to you.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS AT DIFFERENT TIMES IN MY LIFE

ULTIMA 5
WASTELAND
MIKE TYSONS PUNCHOUT
SUPER METROID
ULTIMA 7
PERFECT DARK
FALLOUT
MORROWIND
DARK SOULS
DRAGONS DOGMA

BROS I DONT KNOW
I STILL PLAY PERFECT DARK ANS MIKE TYSONS PUNCHOUT REGULARLY

Swigen

Arbiter
Virtua Cops - Sega Saturn

virtua-cop_25.png

8626_back.jpg

My god, they just don’t make em like this anymore folks. Picture this: you are having the worst day EVER when suddenly you remember you haven’t checked the mail yet! Could it be? Has it arrived? The seller gave you liek a 10 day range for when it would get here... YES! Luck shines on you today my friend, yore Virtua Cop w/ Virtua Gun HAS COME!! Man, I bet you can’t wait to hook that bitch up and play so- WHOA! NOT SO FAST HOMO, THESE GAEMS DON’T WORK ON HDTV’s!! PFFFFT!! TOUGH BREAK PLOOKA!!

:argh::argh::argh::argh:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom