Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your pet peeves

Vapid

Learned
I was wondering: what are your pet peeves connected with gaming. I don’t mean the things that are universally despised by the vast majority, like pre-order culture, season pass/ DLC scumbaggery or game journalism faggotry. What I have in mind are the things that piss you off to no end but somehow are barely noticed or hardly ever brought up by others.

I’ll start. One of those things that bring my piss to a boil is when people who consider themselves savvy gamers (or even fancy themselves some kind of authority in the matter) go on about being fans of classic rpgs and having played a lot of them can name only some shitty jRPG titles on SNES. Hardy ever do you hear those youtube talking heads mention any of the classic PC or Amiga titles (not to mention more obscure systems) almost as if those titles didn’t exist. I guess it’s, at least partially, a cultural thing, because it mostly applies to American gamers, but still. Maybe growing up on the Dismal Side of the Iron Curtain ™ made me averse to consoles, I don’t know.

On a similar note: it pisses me off when the people who are into tabletop RPGs act as if D&D was the only RPG in the world. Having your preferences (in this case: D&D) is one thing, but calling yourself a grognard and having zero knowledge about other RPGs is another.

kalganoat

Savant
Games with built-in timer. FF13-3 and Atelier series. Time's up game over. Imagine playing the game and there's literally a damn clock in the UI counting down. Fuck that.

Random stats upgrade on level up. Fire Emblem series. What's the solution? Reload until you get the stats you want. Really? Is your system design so weak you need RNG to keep it balanced?

QTE that requires you to mash a button really fucking fast. MGS Peace Walker. Someone actually made a cheat code just to help people pass this QTE section. My friend stopped playing this game because he couldn't pass this section.

Japanese games chasing Western game design trend but they don't have the money or experience to do so and the game suffers because of it. MGS5, FF15 and Dynasty Warriors 9 all tried to do open world and failed. Just stop please. Do what you do best.

Console fanboys. Do you really feel superior than others because you bought a $300 box?

Apologists for billion dollar gaming companies. You don't get paid for this. You don't own their stocks. You are nothing but a number to them. Why do you act like I just insulted your mother?

Everytime there's a discussion about unoptimized pc games there are always a few douchebags saying 'hur dur it runs well on my potato' without telling us the fps, resolution/setting. Just STFU please.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
the tolerance for unoriginality everyone seems to have
people not knowing what art direction is
no one except a few people understanding writing
people caring more about graphics than gameplay
minigames, romances, housing and other feature bloat
people equating mass popularity with quality

and above all... the willingness of people to lower their standards for every breadcrumb thrown their way

Swigen

Arbiter
Side quests that are little more than checklist, collect-a-thon, time wasting bullshit. After the Witcher 3 showed everyone how compelling side quests you actually wanna finish should be done there should be no damn excuses.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
My pet peeve is when I go to bed I like to read for a bit. Right now I'm reading 'Blood, Sweat and Pixels' by some SJW journalist. I like to sleep and read on my side but my cat always comes and plunks himself right where I'm reading so I have to move my arms up at an angle. Then he moves around and sticks his butt in my face.

I can adjust and I do. I'm at the end of the book about the demise of Star Wars 1313, some shit console game that never saw the light of day. It's just a pain in the ass as I want to finish the stupid story about a bunch of dumb crap but he weighs like twenty-three pounds and is rather big. I get around that but sometimes give up and just put the book down and go to sleep.

The worst part is when he gets up to twist around, maybe not putting his butt into my face, which is good but then he head-butts me on the nose. It sucks, kind of hurts, as he has a lot of mass behind him. Seriously, think of the force of 23 pounds smacking you in the nose. Cats generally show affection by rubbing the side of their face against other cats or their human slaves but the nose-butting really sucks. That's why I don't read too much anymore.

Anyways, that's my pet peeve.

Machocruz

Arcane
Command/button prompts for simple actions you've already done 50 time, like interacting with an object. See every AAA game made today. Are there people out there that need to be reminded that X opens doors every single time? Plus it's an immersion/atmosphere/art direction killer.

Even more retarded is now on top of that you have to hold the button down for a few seconds in some games, even though there is no risk of being interrupted or being caught stuck in some process by enemies.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Forcing RPG mechanics or ideas into genres that don't need them, even if it's some simple "level up" system. It irks the fuck out of me.

Crafting. Crafting is almost always shit. I'll say it like this: crafting is about making yourself into a busywork blacksmith crossed with a hoarder from hell with all the stupid ingredients and materials you need to collect to put it to use. It is almost always bloated garbage you don't really need and it is never fulfilling. If you do crafting like, oh if I kill this red dragon and acquire his horn then I can go talk to this legendary badass smithy that can turn it into a wicked shield then that's fine. When you do crafting like, "I need 78 Kobold Cocks, 12 Illithid Tentacles, 6 Beholder Eyestalks, 10 Vampire Fangs and then some silver and iron ore I can make a weapon that will probably be outclassed by something I could find by actually playing and progressing the game naturally." Fuck crafting.

Pixel art. Pixel art platformers. Pixel art platformers with Metroidvania ideas. Pixel art platformers with Metroidvania ideas and promotes Dark Souls-like difficulty. Pixel art platformers with Metroidvania ideas and promotes Dark Souls-like difficulty with crafting stapled on. It is amazing, that pixel art. I don't think there is another graphical style in this galaxy that upon seeing it makes my brain reject every single thing about it without further inquiry. It tries to capture some retro feel, but it's rather amusing isn't it because the actual retro games they want to try and succeed actually look better and play better and definitely sound better. This is the scourge of indy gaming.

Deleted Member 16721

I don't know if I have any pet peeves. I guess I agree with what Spider said about crafting. Items shouldn't be outclassed easily after crafting something. I can't really think of anything else that irks me. Maybe Assassin Creed games. Or here's one, people who follow build guides/min max guides and do what everyone else is doing in a game. It's like, be creative you fuck, why are you even playing the game if you're just going to copy some blueprint. It also irks me when people save/reload opening random chests to try and get better loot, or cheat or game the system somehow. I know these things don't affect me but I thought I'd take the time to shit on some people who do those things while I'm feeling good. And fuck Witcher 3 too, with its cutscene "gameplay". Yeah. I feel better now. :)

Abhay

Augur
Being forced into playing a specific way with illogical or unnecessary restrictions; especially when the game claims to offer FREEDOM when in reality, the game is least accessible.

Static environments with little to no interactions in them. For instance - Arx Fatalis is the kind of game that I enjoy more than the modern open worlds, due to the number of ways player can interact inside the game world.

Lengthy cutscenes

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
When developers of open-world games are boasting about their next game being much bigger than their previous, when their previous game was also quite enourmous. I don't care about the size of your game, the bigger it is, the less likely I will enjoy it for a prolonged time. Make medium sized worlds, but populate it with well crafted places and missions. Not a continent of shitty quests and collectibles.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Quest timers
I'll add to this. Playing games like Civ or hell, I was playing Hunie Pop this weekend for the Steam event. I like being able to stare at the screen and just kind of relax and think about what I'll do next. I may stare for 30 minutes - hey, it's my game, man! Quit trying to pressure me to do something. I don't grasp how that adds to gameplay.

Also, whatever - I don't like phony RPG elements *cough* WoW *cough*. Hey, add a point to this or that, but it doesn't really matter. Give me 50 stats and make the line between success and failure a point or two and I'll love you forever.

Also, large worlds to explore without anything to see. Ok, go ahead, kick me in the balls - but at least Oblivion rewarded exploration. You found Daedra temples and outright odd quests. Play Skyrim and there is no difference.

Finally, I don't like D&D Games create by people who obviously never played PNP RPGS. Hey, it's a free country, but dammit, trust me - it all fits together. Wizardry, Bard's Tale, Ultima - all designed by PNP gamers. I know when a designer never played a PNP rpg, dammit!

passerby

Arcane
Total game lenght turn limits are so generous in Civ games, that they don't matter, this is why I though you are talking about actual quests with turn limit to complete.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Timers
QTEs
Loot crates
Gamers who bitch about loot crates then go buy the game and every single loot crate
DLC
Gamers who bitch about DLC then go buy the game and every single DLC
Early Access
Disappearance of GOLD Status
Pay to Win
Pay for Patches
Delayed Release
Online Subscription services
Cosplay weirdos (gaming subculture in general)
Political shoe-horning
Endless Fetch-it quests
Hollywood style marketing that brings the CGI and bombastic music but little to no gameplay
Story gimmicks and high school level narratives
Condescending and patronizing the player
Shrinking of competent studios from hundreds down to just a few
Inability of gamers to discipline their desires/cash and understand how economies work
Studios and wannabe activist devs who want to change gaming from a hobby to a 'lived-experience'
Live streamers and reviewers who are one orifice stretch away from being literal whores
Bugs that don't get addressed
Rare use of proprietary in-house engines
Open worlds that are anything but
Multi-player (50% of the time it's the game, the other 50% it's the players)
Quantity over quality in terms of releases and franchise building
Everything is niche now
Refunds (result of the discipline error)
Lack of difficulty curves (press X to win)
Gamers who seem to want to spreadsheet a series of numbers rather than actually enjoy the game
Studios than want to turn games from a product into a service
Feature creep
Social media creep
Roadmaps
Damn near the entire gaming world as it is

There's more but I'm getting cranky thinking about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom