Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well I recommend they change the name to Ion Madam. They better not try Ion Lady unless they want the thatchers to get involved.

BupPKuP.png

But unexpected plot twist.......

https://www.thedailybeast.com/iron-...n-maiden-video-game?via=desktop&social=Reddit

IRON MAIDEN Files $2 Million Trademark Lawsuit Over 'Ion Maiden' Video Game

Heavy metal band Iron Maiden’s holding company has filed a $2 million trademark infringement lawsuit against a video game developer behind the “Duke Nukem” game that is selling another game called “Ion Maiden.” The lawsuit, filed Tuesday, claims entertainment company 3D Realms is conducting “incredibly blatant” trademark infringement—which could lead to “confusion among consumers.” “Defendant’s Ion Maiden name is nearly identical to the Iron Maiden trademark in appearance, sound and overall commercial impression. Defendant also uses the Ion Maiden name to sell merchandise including shirts and mouse pads,” the lawsuit claims, noting that Iron Maiden has also sold computer games in the past. The holding company alleges that 3D Realms engaged in federal trademark infringement and unfair competition, among other charges, for their “virtually identical imitation” of the band’s trademark. In addition to the $2 million, the suit also demands the company stop using “confusingly similar” products and relinquish their ownership of ionmaiden.com.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ir...trademark-lawsuit-over-ion-maiden-video-game/

According to The Daily Beast, IRON MAIDEN has filed a $2 million trademark infringement lawsuit against a video game developer behind the game called "Ion Maiden". The lawsuit, filed Tuesday by the band's holding company, Iron Maiden Holdings Limited, accuses entertainment company 3D Realms of creating "confusion among consumers."

"Defendant's Ion Maiden name is nearly identical to the IRON MAIDEN trademark in appearance, sound and overall commercial impression. Defendant also uses the Ion Maiden name to sell merchandise including shirts and mouse pads," the lawsuit claims.

"Defendant began using the Ion Maiden name, without authorization, in an effort to confuse consumers into believing Defendant's products and services are somehow affiliated with or approved by IRON MAIDEN.

"Defendant's misappropriation and use of a virtually identical imitation of the IRON MAIDEN trademark creates a likelihood of confusion among consumers," the lawsuit adds. "Customers who view Defendant's video game and merchandise are likely to believe that IRON MAIDEN is somehow affiliated with Defendant. The results of searches for Ion Maiden merchandise, t-shirts, posters and mouse pads relate to IRON MAIDEN.

"Without even examining the content of the Ion Maiden video game, confusion is undeniable because of the virtually identical use of the iconic IRON MAIDEN mark for video games, a product that IRON MAIDEN has been selling for nearly 20 years, and shirts, a product that IRON MAIDEN has been selling for nearly 40 years," the lawsuit says. "Standing alone, those facts establish likelihood of confusion but there is even more evidence of likelihood of confusion. That evidence includes the fact that Defendant has exhibited its intent to trade off on the IRON MAIDEN mark by adopting Shelly Harrison as the name of its main character which is an attempt to copy the name of Steve Harris, an IRON MAIDEN founder and primary songwriter; adopting a similar steel cut font for its Ion Maiden name knowing that IRON MAIDEN also uses a steel cut font for its iconic IRON MAIDEN mark; creating a video game that has the same look and feel as the IRON MAIDEN video game, 'Legacy Of The Beast'; and choosing to use its Ion Maiden Yellow Bomb emoji in its Ion Maiden video game and merchandise which is graphically similar to IRON MAIDEN's Eddie character who appears in all of IRON MAIDEN's video games and virtually all of IRON MAIDEN's compact disc covers, t-shirts and other merchandise.

"There have been numerous instances of actual confusion with IRON MAIDEN fans believing that Defendants' Ion Maiden products are related to IRON MAIDEN. Actual confusion has occurred in online articles and comments about the Ion Maiden video game including IRON MAIDEN fans: commenting that they were misled into believing that the Ion Maiden game was an IRON MAIDEN game; clicking on an Ion Maiden online thread thinking that the thread was related to IRON MAIDEN; reading an article about the Ion Maiden video game waiting for an explained connection to IRON MAIDEN; wondering the whole time, while reading an article about the Ion Maiden video game, how they (Defendant) got the license to use the Ion Maiden name (from IRON MAIDEN); expressing genuine excitement for an IRON MAIDEN video game; and commenting that 'all that's missing is an … IRON MAIDEN soundtrack' and that the IRON MAIDEN song 'Can I Play with Madness' would fit right in. In addition, a review of the Ion Maiden game stated that the Ion Maiden name references 'Brit Rocker' IRON MAIDEN."

"Defendant's infringement is incredibly blatant. Defendant is undoubtedly aware of IRON MAIDEN's existence and is attempting to trade off on IRON MAIDEN's notoriety because, inter alia, Defendant chose to use the virtually exact IRON MAIDEN trademark and was instructed to cease and desist by Plaintiff. In response thereto, Defendant abandoned its Ion Maiden trademark application but chose to defiantly continue to use its Ion Maiden mark."

In addition to seeking $2 million in statutory damages, the suit also demands the company either cancel registration of the domain name ionmaiden.com or transfer the ownership of that registration to IRON MAIDEN.

They're so old they forgot they didn't come up with iron maiden. That's sad.

cosmicray

Savant
That evidence includes the fact that Defendant has exhibited its intent to trade off on the IRON MAIDEN mark by adopting Shelly Harrison as the name of its main character which is an attempt to copy the name of Steve Harris, an IRON MAIDEN founder and primary songwriter;
:roll:

axx

Savant
No joke, they sued creators of a comic book called Iron and the Maiden for the same thing back in 2009. The comic is now called The Iron Saint.

agris

Arcane
Patron
This happened once before between both parties, in August of 2018, and it looks like the suite was dropped. This has clearly been on 3DR's radar.

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=87841505

edit: I'm not used to reading those TTAB sites. It actually looks like the Iron Maiden holding company convinced 3DR to drop its trademark of Ion Maiden, which they did. It actually looks like they filed the paperwork to expedite its abandonment, which occurred. Apparently, that wasn't enough for the family and lawfirm who manage Iron Maiden's holding company.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's a stupid fucking lawsuit and it's not like the game will even sell that much, but they should just change the name and avoid the hassle.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
adopting a similar steel cut font for its Ion Maiden name knowing that IRON MAIDEN also uses a steel cut font for its iconic IRON MAIDEN mark; creating a video game that has the same look and feel as the IRON MAIDEN video game,
a5456cf6eb53efcdc9017dd4787cad870479772597c94fd85cb3ff423959b0f9_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

IRON-MAIDEN-678x381.jpeg

:deathclaw:

Modron

Arcane
I had a feeling this shit would happen. I'm just surprise it hasn't happened sooner. Music companies are the fucking worse when it comes to copyright lawsuits. It's fucking ridiculous.
John Fogerty vs John Fogerty is still my favorite case name.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Meanwhile, the inventors of the first iron maiden in 250 BC are suing the band for $16 million plus 2200 years of compound interest.

This would be funny if it wasn't for the facts: No historical evidence has been found of the usage of iron maidens before the 19th century. At best it's a myth from the 18th century that came to life afterwards.

I still don't think that's gonna stop Iron Maiden from suing historians who even dare mention the bloody thing.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't find it now but I didn't make that date up ... there was a story about a guy who was executed by being put in a box lined with nails.

geno

Savant
So this was the exciting news Davox was talking about. Well, it was a enjoyable ride while it lasted. See you later, guys.

Irata

Scholar
This is probably the best news these devs could get. Being bullied by a rich and famous band is going to give them more exposure than they could have ever hoped to get otherwise.

Melcar

Arcane
To be honest, when I first read about the game I read the title as Iron Maiden. They should do a new song titled Ion Maiden.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom