Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They failed at weird west, they failed at Planescape, how/why are they even still around?

I'm guessing the EEs keep them afloat, though only barely considering how many staff they keep laying off.

Mortmal

Arcane
Why even live? I'll be on social media commiserating and grieving with other nerds just like me.

FG2 and Roll 20, only reasons left to live,as we wont get any real rpg any time soon. Btw some butthurt brazilian codexer turned out to be an excellent DM.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Mind flayers have four-fingered hands and two-toed feet, so that piece shows how much research Beamdog did. They're also supposed to be physically weak, which makes the paladin armour gimmick rather stupid, though 5E may have retconned that stuff.

In which edition were mind flayers weak? My 2nd ed doesn't give any STR score or mention anything about strength, while in 3e and 4e the mind flayer entry is slightly stronger than an average human.

Mortmal

Arcane
Mind flayers have four-fingered hands and two-toed feet, so that piece shows how much research Beamdog did. They're also supposed to be physically weak, which makes the paladin armour gimmick rather stupid, though 5E may have retconned that stuff.

In which edition were mind flayers weak? My 2nd ed doesn't give any STR score or mention anything about strength, while in 3e and 4e the mind flayer entry is slightly stronger than an average human.
Anything under 18/99 is weak in 2E :obviously:

Fairfax

Arcane

The Ecology of the Mind Flayer, Dragon #78 (1983):
"Being as intelligent as they are, endowed with psionic powers, and as physically weak as they are, the illithids believe that the mind is everything and all-important."

Volo's Guide to Monsters (2016):
Because mind flayers are physically weak, they can't rely on simple combat to stand up against their enemies. If a colony finds itself in circumstances where it can be outwardly aggressive, its members likely focus their research on ways to cause mass casualties with minimal risk to themselves, such as plagues or methods to bring about famine and other natural disasters.

Codex Year of the Donut
A mindflayer paladin epitomizes everything I hate about Beamdog's content. They have to make everything whacky and zany. Everything they create feels like it's from "that guy" at the table who refuses to play the game like a normal person.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ilithid paladin... it isn't that bad as a concept as we had a caste succubus before, some ilithid using armor to hide his appearance and using psionics to make foes think he is a strong warrior and the sword and armor only being props it could be cool if well written but knowing how Bumdog are pure incompetence about everything they do, they don't know what is the smell of good writing is.

They would just treat him like a standard paladin, shitting all over the lore and adding some bullshit copy paste tropes like he suffering discrimination for being an ilithid and that ilithids are in reality misunderstood good guys.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Beamdog made an illithid mind flayer paladin? What did he/she do with their tentacles in the romance?.

hexer

Such a shame they'll be no IWD2 EE, game is fucked on Windows 10.

Either Sawyer lost the source code or Herve pawned it for cheap booze.

20130324143547!Herve_Caen.jpg

Zer0wing

Cipher
They failed at weird west, they failed at Planescape, how/why are they even still around?
Mobile market. It's drooling over isometric and aurora engine RPGs (top notch engine BTW, why the fuck RPG maker is still around?). People still seething over KOTOR 2 and NWN 2 not being ported on Android.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
aurora engine RPGs (top notch engine BTW, why the fuck RPG maker is still around?).
Having messed around with both, RPG Maker's tools are much easier to use. If you want to do any kind of scripting in Aurora that isn't covered by a wizard, you have to do it manually, which is annoying.

hexer

aurora engine RPGs (top notch engine BTW, why the fuck RPG maker is still around?).
Having messed around with both, RPG Maker's tools are much easier to use. If you want to do any kind of scripting in Aurora that isn't covered by a wizard, you have to do it manually, which is annoying.

When I was 19, I learned to write code because of Aurora toolset.
This later helped me start a career as a developer, run my own company and work in the financial industry where I'm still today.
You never know what could happen if you learn to "write code the old way"

Theldaran

Liturgist
Roleplaying, a niche hobby? Maybe, but it has been part of pop culture. When I started playing between the last year of the 90s and the 2000s, I think it wasn't a peak moment for the industry, apart from D&D Third Edition starting in 2000. And still a lot of people who were my age in that era know of RPGs. RPGs have always been popular in some environments, such as nerd circles. The variety the industry has achieved is proof that the books sold.

I wouldn't call pen and paper RPGs "mainstream", but they've had some degree of success and acceptance (not by the powers that be, but, you get the idea).

I always think of pen and paper in the 70s and 80s as a substitute for the videogames that came later. In that era having a computer or even a console was a luxury and the substitute were books. In my city, which isn't a prime city in the world, we had D&D CYOA books in the 80s, in the kids section. Teachers were probably OK with RPGs and the derived material because it made kids read and solve problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom