Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Silentstorm

Learned
And the award for most dissapointing RPG in the last few years goes to...Underworld Ascendant, for falling short of everyone's expectations and wishes for Ultima Underworld 3!

Nyast

Cipher
Nah. There are worse games. Asset flips, mini puzzles, baby's first game, many mobile games etc..

It might however be a contender for the worst game with a $5M budget.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
The good news is capitalism works. You make sh*t. People don't buy your sh*t. Your investors walk away. Your firm goes bankrupt.

August at the latest. Probably earlier.

Max Heap

Arcane
If Capitalism works, explain Call of Duty.

The capitalistic success of degenerate content like Call of Duty is the result of marxists undermining western morality!
It's financial performance is merely the projection of an already rotten system of traditional values :obviously:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, their certificate expired yesterday (period is from "Monday, March 26, 2018" to "Saturday, May 25, 2019"). Someone forgot to get a new one.

Silentstorm

Learned
Wait, what happened now, does this mean they lost the right to host their own site?

If so...wow, otherwise, can someone please explain?

Max Heap

Arcane
I just watched this old video again:

I really want a post mortem on the project. Simply because Neurath seemed so enthusiastic about it.
It's one of the strangest game development stories I've ever seen I think. Also where is Neurath anyway?

There are other games that were stuck in development hell forever and even if they rarely pull off what they promised, at least many end up mediocre but playable (Deadly Premonition, Duke Nukem Forever, etc). Hell, some people even like those games. Deadly Premonition has a cult-like following.

I really just wanna know what went so god damn wrong with UA...

Glic2000

Educated
Well the explanation was they thought they were going to have more money than what the Kickstarter raised, but they didn't, because that funding got pulled almost immediately. At this point, they probably should have just cancelled the game.

Instead, they apparently muddled around for a couple of years, not doing much of anything until the game got a publisher. Then the publisher said, "take that pile of trash and cobble it together into something we can sell." And Underworld Ascendant was released!

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Well the explanation was they thought they were going to have more money than what the Kickstarter raised, but they didn't, because that funding got pulled almost immediately. At this point, they probably should have just cancelled the game.

Instead, they apparently muddled around for a couple of years, not doing much of anything until the game got a publisher. Then the publisher said, "take that pile of trash and cobble it together into something we can sell." And Underworld Ascendant was released!

It's actually fascinating that they managed to persuade 505 to publish UA. I'd really want to know what their sales pitch was.

When 505 made the publishing deal, the situation was the following:

- OS had burned through all their kickstarter money
- Their first publisher opted out
- They had put the game on hold for almost 2 years without finding a new publisher
- They didn't have anything to show that worked properly (almost a year later, they had a totally broken alpha)

The top OS guys have to be grandmaster-level con artists to sell that deal.

Nyast

Cipher

You forgot the last part:

"And Otherside were congratulating themselves for producing such a high quality game and genuinely thought they had done a great job, surely the game would sell tons and have a high metacritic score.."

Glic2000

Educated
It's actually fascinating that they managed to persuade 505 to publish UA. I'd really want to know what their sales pitch was.

When 505 made the publishing deal, the situation was the following:

- OS had burned through all their kickstarter money
- Their first publisher opted out
The top OS guys have to be grandmaster-level con artists to sell that deal.

I thought 505 was their first publisher. Unless that other never-named mysterious source of "other funding" was their other publisher.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
They just missed their deadline for the console version. They don't even have a trailer ready. And they still haven't sent out the physical backer rewards (7 months after launch).

CONSOLE PRIORITY. Still aiming to have this wrapped up by the end of this month [...] I’m working on gathering updated footage for a potential console trailer [...] hopefully exporting the whole thing by end of next week, right before we need all our console materials submitted. [...] In addition to this, I’ll be [...] coordinating our physical Kickstarter rewards so we can start shipping things out by early June. Note that this timeline for the physical goods are (sic) tentative

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/may-20-2019-weekly-update/10071

Silentstorm

Learned
At this point someone should just make a post detailing everything that went wrong with the game before release and after, but i fear it would be so long even the most patient and interested people here would have no choice but to post TL:DR.

Durwyn

Prophet
At this point someone should just make a post detailing everything that went wrong with the game before release and after, but i fear it would be so long even the most patient and interested people here would have no choice but to post TL:DR.
So much shit apparently went wrong, they'd need another kickstarter just to get funds to write/record it all down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom