Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter

Only a month and I get to leave! Can’t fucking wait!

I don't think they are capable of making that.

You mean because of complexity or political correctness? I must admit that trying to create game mechanics which can represent Cold War political intrigue would be a major challenge, but I’m sure someone must be up to the task.

Deflowerer

Arcane

Only a month and I get to leave! Can’t fucking wait!

I don't think they are capable of making that.

You mean because of complexity or political correctness? I must admit that trying to create game mechanics which can represent Cold War political intrigue would be a major challenge, but I’m sure someone must be up to the task.

Mostly meant the former.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Please please be a Cold War game.

They were going to make: East vs West.

Incredibly unlikely they would try again imo.
Well not them, they contracted modders to do it.

Unfortunately despite all the extra time and money the modders got, the whole thing was an unsalvageable mess because they tried to do too much. It still feels bad that the game never materialized, but I feel one reason why this happened was because the modders wanted it to have multiplayer which caused the whole thing to be a dysfunctional nightmare.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Cold War is the hardest peiod to implement. no big wars, nothing for grand strategy to apply. Only building and politics but almost no combat. Because, well, there were no combat, only proxy wars and even then it was extremely limited.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Cold War is the hardest peiod to implement. no big wars, nothing for grand strategy to apply. Only building and politics but almost no combat. Because, well, there were no combat, only proxy wars and even then it was extremely limited.

No combat? What about all the times our glorious boys in Rhodesia and South Africa shot up the darkies and the communists? I’d pay $100+ to see that represented in a game.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik

No combat? What about all the times our glorious boys in Rhodesia and South Africa shot up the darkies and the communists? I’d pay $100+ to see that represented in a game.

Boers ran screaming back to their mommies once the Cubans entered the fight.

Norfleet

The smaller proxy conflicts of the Cold War are better modelled in theater-specific games that can really drill down in the details. A "grand strategy" Cold War game could be rather dry, especially since so much is simply not known as much is still classified.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Depending on start date there were few major conflicts. If they will go with their tradition of continuous start tates and new game will start right from 1945-1946, then it will be Chinese Civil war finalle, Korean war, Indochina war, Greek Civil War, Vietnam, indo-Pakistan conflicts, Palestine, arab-jew conflict, african crap wars, Colombia, Falklands, Afghanistan, ireland, Iran-Iraq etc.
There seem to be A LOT but in fact only Korean war, Vietnam and Afghanistan could fit to "normal" war category, other wars are extremely different and hard to represent. Insurgencies and conflicts were so different that they hardly could be compared. often there were no lines where one side controlled certain provinces. It is virtually impossible to represent without turning the game into another map painter. how would you represent Intifada? Or ireland war for independance? With divisions controlling provinces? Paradox should divide capital cities into micro-districts to come even close to representing stuff.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Depending on start date there were few major conflicts. If they will go with their tradition of continuous start tates and new game will start right from 1945-1946, then it will be Chinese Civil war finalle, Korean war, Indochina war, Greek Civil War, Vietnam, indo-Pakistan conflicts, Palestine, arab-jew conflict, african crap wars, Colombia, Falklands, Afghanistan, ireland, Iran-Iraq etc.
There seem to be A LOT but in fact only Korean war, Vietnam and Afghanistan could fit to "normal" war category, other wars are extremely different and hard to represent. Insurgencies and conflicts were so different that they hardly could be compared. often there were no lines where one side controlled certain provinces. It is virtually impossible to represent without turning the game into another map painter. how would you represent Intifada? Or ireland war for independance? With divisions controlling provinces? Paradox should divide capital cities into micro-districts to come even close to representing stuff.

Did you ever play the Cold War campaign for Rise of Nations? It actually did this quite well by having you intervening in a country’s war, and if you won then that country became a client state of yours rather than just a simple addition of more territory. I’d imagine it working something like that.

I would also hope that the game would feature ahistorical conflicts that didn’t actually happen, instead of being a scripted snooze fest like HoI.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Did you ever play the Cold War campaign for Rise of Nations? It actually did this quite well by having you intervening in a country’s war, and if you won then that country became a client state of yours rather than just a simple addition of more territory. I’d imagine it working something like that.

I would also hope that the game would feature ahistorical conflicts that didn’t actually happen, instead of being a scripted snooze fest like HoI.
RoN was just a randomized map where you clashed with the AI and then it was repainted to other colours. It is on such level of abstraction that even paradox games minimap have better representation.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh right, there was this.

White Wolf filed a new videogame trademark "EMPIRE OF SIN": https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/018033877

Doesn't sound like a subtitle for vampire game. But who knows. (There's a book about the early 20th century New Orleans with the same name, and NO seems to be an interesting city in WoD setting. Maybe some other WoD game set in there?)

Gothic-Punk New Orleans is much more populous than the actual city of New Orleans.[1] Supernaturals often live much closer together than elsewhere, with fruitful instances of cooperation between vampires, mages and werewolves being possible in the past.

WoD grand strategy game set in New Orelans?

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I bet it's a Three Kingdoms based grand strategy game.
Spring & Autumn/Warring States would legitimately make for a good game. Better than Three Kingdoms and nowhere near as over-done.

It's a period of Chinese history I don't know a whole lot about, but looks pretty interesting. But let's be real, Three Kingdoms is better known and popular. I think Paradox will do a Three Kingdoms game some day just because it's low hanging fruit for them to cover with an unimaginative Clausewitz game.

this shining house of stars bright with lapis stones
has opened itself to all lands

a whole mix of people in the shrine every month
lift heads for you Eresh
all the primeval lords

soapwort the very young saba on your platform
great Nanibgal Nisaba Lady of Saba
brought powers down from heaven
added her measure to your powers
enlarged the shrine set it up for praising

faithful woman exceeding in wisdom
opens [her] mouth [to recite] over cooled lined
tablets
always consults lapis tablets
[and] gives strong council to all lands

true woman of the pure soapwort
born of the sharpened reed

who measures the heavens by cubits
strikes the coiled measuring rod on the earth

praise be to Nisaba

the person who bound this tablet together
is Enheduanna
my king something never before created
did not this one give birth to it

troz

Educated
After Stellaris they might go for a fantasy setting.
All easy to do historical settings are used by now. And they already said this won't be a Victoria sequel.

Regarding the Cold War, just imagine building your east german workers paradise for 40 years, succesfully infiltrating the west and throwing it in turmoil over the span of a 6 hour game session, only to see one retarded AI-controlled super power to send the nukes flying, blowing fucking everything up.
That would be frustrating as fuck.
On the other hand, you can't make a cold war game without nukes.
A cold war game works within a limited set of rules, like Balance of power had. This includes having only the US and USSR playable and everyone else being free real estate.

European dark ages game is also problematic. The era requires huge ass empires falling down and new empires replacing it. In some extreme cases, like the huns, they appeared, created a huge ass empire, then disappeared again immediately. This would have to happen over the entire gamespan, in Italy from romans to goths to lombards to muslims to vikings. The era isn't well suited for typical map painting most players love to do, but on the other hand, players also expect fluctuations within a dark ages game. It might work with a character driven approach like CK2, though. Also, interest for Dark Ages is relatively low compared to other settings.

Paradox currently fails hard at building a workable UI in Imperator. I doubt we will ever see a good cold war or dark ages game from them.

What remains is Bronze Age,which sadly, absolutely no one gives a fuck about. And small scenarios like Sengoku and 500 BC Greece. Which Paradox themselves said they will no longer do.

I'm pretty certain this will be a fantasy grand strategy game. Every nigger loves that CK2 Gay of thrones mod.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom