Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

JBro

Arbiter
"I'M HAVING SO MUCH FUN WITH THIS POORLY OPTIMIZED EMPTY TECH DEMO I GOT FOR 20 BUCKS. I'M NOT MAD."

ADL

Prophet
I know you won't understand it again, but here it is: Most normal people don't give a fuck about a broken tech demo pre-alpha of a highly marginal and dead sub-genre. But keep doing what you're doing, it's fun for the rest to look at. Just don't try to tell people it's got loads of gameplay loops and content and is very far along in development because that'll just make me post video clips from said game loops and content from people that don't LARP a spaceman but actually, like, expect a game of some sort.
I acknowledge that and I understand that it's a niche game for a niche audience and that it's unfinished and very buggy. It's years away from release, but that doesn't justify your bullshit misinformation. I think it speaks volumes that I'm the one telling people not to take my word for it and to just download it when there's a free flight.

Is it taking a while? Sure. Is scope creep a genuine concern? Absolutely, but as long as they keep putting out the quarterly updates on the roadmap and keep raising money at the rate they are now, I'm going to keep enjoying my $25 pledge and as long as CIG is selling people a specific ship and they're getting that specific ship instead of lootbox bullshit and it's reasonably obtainable in game, I don't see anything remotely unethical about letting the whales bankroll the most ambitious sandbox MMO ever created.

"I'M HAVING SO MUCH FUN WITH THIS POORLY OPTIMIZED EMPTY TECH DEMO I GOT FOR 20 BUCKS. I'M NOT MAD."
This but unironically. Minus the poorly optimized, empty and bad part of your post.

This guy hits every key I've heard before from Citizentards. Muh roadmap, muh five studios, muh three continents, etc. It's almost like they send out talking points memos to these whales to keep defending this crap.

ADL

Prophet
This guy hits every key I've heard before from Citizentards. Muh roadmap, muh five studios, muh three continents, etc. It's almost like they send out talking points memos to these whales to keep defending this crap.
The audacity of telling people to try a game during a free trial for themselves instead of listening to either side. Right?

Irata

Scholar
I noticed from watching someone play it that for all of its overdone immersion it still lets you zoom all over the place in your spaceship. Even today you can't just fly your plane willy-nilly. No ATC exists in the future? Not that is an issue with just this game. It is just something that has always irked me about the genre.

ADL

Prophet
This is almost mindboggling how honest they are.
Squadron 42 has 28 chapters. 28! None of them is past the alpha stage, most are unplayable.
And they tell you right from the start that the progress is tied to Star Citizen and that features will be added and/or delayed.
LOL
Most single player games are unplayable before the beta. I'm guessing you didn't fuck around with the Half-Life 2 source code leak which was a year before release?

Since I assume you didn't I'll describe it in three words. Broken as fuck.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Perkel

Arcane
I like how once Star Citizen fans moced Elite: Dangerous about how they wil accept them like a benevolent husband will accept a desperate wife after a quarrel, when Elite will flop and the game will die.

You sound like Elite is good game or even finished one. It is trash game that has almost no content other than procedurally generated spaghetti garbage without meaning. I played it in VR which i must say is amazing in that game but outside of parking your ship first few times there is nothing in it and developers think it is finished game.

SC at least proposed something more meaningful.

In context of lack of technology which they are working on and should be deployed in future

I am not sure container streaming is even going to help solve the problem anyway, considering the actual scale that this is supposed to be on, the amount of players that should be playing concurrently, AND that it's all meant to be real-time. I'm not a professional by any means, but my guess would be that network/memory lag would cause things to not load correctly, which in turn would lead to further and further problems. Seeing how some things aren't loading correctly now, I do wonder what all that will be when they manage to add OCS.

Container streaming has nothing to do with how things loading on client. It is supposed to fix network lag. That lag happens because things are loaded in big big chunks on server side which stops sever from responding to client. Once implemented everything will be streamed in without lag as server will not have to load whole huge chunks around every player but only small amount stuff per player.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I like how once Star Citizen fans moced Elite: Dangerous about how they wil accept them like a benevolent husband will accept a desperate wife after a quarrel, when Elite will flop and the game will die.

You sound like Elite is good game or even finished one. It is trash game that has almost no content other than procedurally generated spaghetti garbage without meaning. I played it in VR which i must say is amazing in that game but outside of parking your ship first few times there is nothing in it and developers think it is finished game.

SC at least proposed something more meaningful.
Fuck off with this "Elite is empty and meaningless" bullshit. Every financial report shows that Elite brings a nice sum money constatnly for the developer, and there is a decent size of fanbase for the game who play the game everyday. It is not for everybody, those who want some scripted gameplay and spoonfed missions will not like it, but it has more and more content, a lot of revamped mechanics and has more to offer now than SC ever will.

Perkel

Arcane
SC at least proposed something more meaningful.Fuck off with this "Elite is empty and meaningless" bullshit. Every financial report shows that Elite brings a nice sum money constatnly for the developer, and there is a decent size of fanbase for the game who play the game everyday. It is not for everybody, those who want some scripted gameplay and spoonfed missions will not like it, but it has more and more content, a lot of revamped mechanics and has more to offer now than SC ever will.

So does farmville and clashofclans. There are some retards who like to play those games.

Elite problem is that there is no progression or evolution. When you start in sidewinder is exact same gameplay you end up when you switch to one of the top end ships. Everything you do is meaningless.

It would change a lot if they would give ability for AI wings and buying cap ships but hey it is mmo garbage dumpsterfire and we don't want players to actually do something worthwhile.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It would change a lot if they would give ability for AI wings and buying cap ships but hey it is mmo garbage dumpsterfire and we don't want players to actually do something worthwhile.
I think what you want is X4, which has these kind of things, but Elite was never about this.

ADL

Prophet
What was Half-Life 2 like 8 years into development?

And after spending the first QUARTER OF A BILLION DOLLARS of its budget :lol:
It was five years into development for a much less ambitious game, with the benefit of a staffed studio ready to go. I know people like to pretend context doesn't matter but it does. CIG went from being a company with seven employees to 500+ from 2012-2015 with an unknown budget because people kept giving them money to make it bigger and more ambitious.

Everyone knows more money = faster development :^)

Perkel

Arcane
I think what you want is X4, which has these kind of things, but Elite was never about this.

I want something meaningful. Also X4 is full on 4X game. Adding AI controled Wing would make it comparable to something like Freespace2 rather than X4. No one asks for full on strategy/economy game.

Especially when we are talking about Elite galaxy where with 1 ship you can change nothing. Giving players something like 20 AI ships divided into 4 wings would be something that would give player agency. Manage crew, hire and pay them etc etc etc.

how about calling AI friends when you join faction ? Like you discover faction A fleet heading somewhere and then you go with your group call in support and suddenly you have your wings + whole armada of fleet B fighting in actual war where there can be actually winner of battle and your contribution to it would be meaningful.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't worry guys Star Citizen is going to be a great gift to your grandkids 60 years from now when it's finally finished enough to be a real game.

Morkar Left

I want something meaningful. Also X4 is full on 4X game. Adding AI controled Wing would make it comparable to something like Freespace2 rather than X4. No one asks for full on strategy/economy game.

Especially when we are talking about Elite galaxy where with 1 ship you can change nothing. Giving players something like 20 AI ships divided into 4 wings would be something that would give player agency. Manage crew, hire and pay them etc etc etc.

how about calling AI friends when you join faction ? Like you discover faction A fleet heading somewhere and then you go with your group call in support and suddenly you have your wings + whole armada of fleet B fighting in actual war where there can be actually winner of battle and your contribution to it would be meaningful.

You might enjoy Spacebourne

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
SC at least proposed something more meaningful.Fuck off with this "Elite is empty and meaningless" bullshit. Every financial report shows that Elite brings a nice sum money constatnly for the developer, and there is a decent size of fanbase for the game who play the game everyday. It is not for everybody, those who want some scripted gameplay and spoonfed missions will not like it, but it has more and more content, a lot of revamped mechanics and has more to offer now than SC ever will.

So does farmville and clashofclans. There are some retards who like to play those games.
Farmville and Clash of Clans have more gameplay than SC?

What type of retard plays Star Citizen, then? Super Special?

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I can only imagine the Star Citizen saga ending on the day Chris Roberts summons all of the fanatical star citizens to Robertstown, Guyana for the secret release party (free kool-aid provided!)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Category:Gameplay
14/16tasks completed

Updated May. 25th 2019
Introducing the ability for the player to look away from where their weapon is aiming, giving them more situational awareness while keeping their weapon trained on a known threat."

:bounce:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I believe the current Star Citizen engine (especially the first person implementation) would be the best to make a first person RPG like Cyberpunk 2077 which from the gameplay presentation, the shooting is like playing Doom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom