Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imagine waking up to see a game that you've been waiting for over 15 years, actually alive and being developed by some fabulous Belgians who made two kick ass games recently, so you feel like your day just started getting better.

Then you read the codex thread.

You know you will initially be :bounce: , and then you will be :deadhorse: when Larian fails to deliver.
That's pretty much my exact stance. I'm jacking myself into a frothy mess at another Baldur's Gate, it's just that after I finish and I'm thinking more clearly I start to consider that Baldur's Gate doesn't need another game, the story's wrapped up nicely, and even though I enjoy Larian's games I'm not particularly confident in their ability to make a Baldur's Gate.

All that said though, still going to enjoy the ride while I can, and it's highly likely that they'll make an enjoyable game regardless. I mean shit, Dragonspear was surprisingly decent. If Beamdog can make something tolerable then surely Larian can too.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BG series are games that do depend on good writing, especially BG II
Weird I always found the writing mediocre at best in BG1&2. The encounters and the sheer amount of options especially in char building is the real strength of these games imo

Shadenuat

Arcane
Imagine waking up to see a game that you've been waiting for over 15 years, actually alive and being developed by some fabulous Belgians who made two kick ass games recently, so you feel like your day just started getting better.

Then you read the codex thread.
You mean a half of one kickass game and one doggie talking quest.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Why can’t they make a modern Gold Box game with updated D&D, why Baldur’s Gate? Isn’t it over already?

Andhaira

Arcane
BG series are games that do depend on good writing, especially BG II
Weird I always found the writing mediocre at best in BG1&2. The encounters and the sheer amount of options especially in char building is the real strength of these games imo

I meant comparatively to other cRPGs, especially the DOS series; also the writing in BG-II shone when it came to quests, especially the ones in Chapter II.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I suppose it's going to be 5E? Real-time or turn-based? What is the story going to be about?

What I want - 2D (!!!); less WACKY, ZANY humor, less humor in general maybe, they can't pull it off; I'm ok with either TB or RT tbh, but slightly prefer TB; less flashy SFX; more time spent low-level; no level scaling; hand-placed unique loot!!!

I don't know, it feels like I'm about to witness rape and defilement.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What I want - 2D (!!!); less WACKY, ZANY humor, less humor in general maybe, they can't pull it off; I'm ok with either TB or RT tbh, but slightly prefer TB; less flashy SFX; more time spent low-level; no level scaling; hand-placed unique loot!!!
Isn't world a funny place? You're going to get exactly the opposite.

Shadenuat

Arcane
how interesting is the premise of TB game on 5th even?

I have no experience with it, but I remember they did try to make it lighter for ease of the game compared to 3d, but not like 4th.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I don’t play games for their story or writing. However, if you are incapable of writing something decent then leave it out of the game please, because shit stories are annoying enough.

deuxhero

Arcane
I wonder what engine they'll use. If they just dump it in OSII's and keep the mod/MP support, this would at least be a good NWN2 successor.

Remember how both BGs were worth playing from beginning to end? Now think about how gutlessly frontloaded the two D:OS games are.

No. BG1 opens with a level grind through the wilderness until you get to the mines. The only settlement you can get only has stuff later (if at all) and exists purely for vendors at that point. The only interesting loot to find is hidden as pixel hunts (and just given to you if you play it in BG2's engine).

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Tired: Turn-based Larian RPG with misguided fan service, dated throwbacks and semi-decent D&D 5e implementation.

Wired: A modernized Neverwinter Nights with an easy-to-use editor ushering in a new era of player-made content and persistent worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom