Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm excited for more D&D from a good developer (inb4 Larian was always shit). How excited exactly will be determined once we get some solid information.

Fairfax

Arcane
I suppose it's going to be 5E?
It's definitely 5E (or some bastardized D:OS hybrid). WotC would never let the most hyped D&D game in over 15 years use an older ruleset, especially 3.5E, which would lead consumers to their main competitor.

pomenitul

Arbiter
They'll ask a focus group of 14 year old postmillenials what they liked the most about the BG series and design the sequel accordingly (spoiler: the originals weren't memerific enough).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Damn just how the belgian outplayed Josh though.

All that time Obsidian tried to save themselves on the name of the game they never came close to a success of, and now Larian is like: haha we have an actual real one, see you later losers.
Bam, millions of moneys.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Baldur's Gate is extremely overrated so whatever, the only good thing about this is that Larian should earn big bucks thanks to this move and we might get more turn based goodness. Alternatively we might be getting more popamole games now that they will be in big leagues...

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, this will be pretty interesting to see, if the Baldur's Gate name recognition still does anything after all these years.

Also will stop other developers always talking about a possible BG3.

Mortmal

Arcane
I suppose it's going to be 5E? Real-time or turn-based? What is the story going to be about?

What I want - 2D (!!!); less WACKY, ZANY humor, less humor in general maybe, they can't pull it off; I'm ok with either TB or RT tbh, but slightly prefer TB; less flashy SFX; more time spent low-level; no level scaling; hand-placed unique loot!!!

I don't know, it feels like I'm about to witness rape and defilement.
They have a functional engine for turn based rpg, why would they suddenly invest time and money to make some rtwp shit ? No its clearly turn based , it must be 5E to accompany that new line of Baldur's gate products.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also will stop other developers always talking about a possible BG3.

Yeah, I guess that on a slightly more serious note, this will prevent anyone else from spamming the "spiritual successor of the BG francise" or similar sentences on the short term - which will be a breath of fresh air.

Fairfax

Arcane
how interesting is the premise of TB game on 5th even?

I have no experience with it, but I remember they did try to make it lighter for ease of the game compared to 3d, but not like 4th.
5E's action economy and combat rules are simple enough that it works with TB/RT/PB or whatever they want. It comes down to Larian choosing between their own preference and staying somewhat close to the originals.

serch

Magister
bg3.png

Did Infinitron publish this?
D71R9HQWkAAWlaW%201.png

http://larian.com/video/three.gif
http://larian.com/video/three.mp4
https://twitter.com/kunkken/status/1134150748483334145
discovered by this guy: https://twitter.com/kunkken

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Problem is 5E's rules are too simple. They're meant for fast play and (according the lead designer) women who can't handle complex rules.
I've been dming it for a year, 5E can provide in depth tactical combat everything you could do before in 2E and 3.5 , you can still. The game isn't dumbed down, just a bit more fluid to play.

Only if you, the GM, award/penalize on the fly to make it so. Advantage not stacking means you can only do so much to influence the battlefield.

Problem is 5E's rules are too simple. They're meant for fast play and (according the lead designer) women who can't handle complex rules. If you made a video game with them you'd get something really boring and repetitive.
They are more complex than 2E D&D but less than 3.5 or 4e.

And remember how BG combat that isn't mage duels is boring as fuck?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom