Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your pet peeves

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
- filler side quests
- crafting
- no save when and where I want
- no or broken font scaling
- crafting
- 90% of gamers.

visions

Arcane
When games don't let you sort your saves by date in-game. Especially relevant in strategy games where you might have a lot of saves from different maps.

HansDampf

Arcane
I was wondering: what are your pet peeves connected with gaming. I don’t mean the things that are universally despised by the vast majority, like pre-order culture, season pass/ DLC scumbaggery or game journalism faggotry. What I have in mind are the things that piss you off to no end but somehow are barely noticed or hardly ever brought up by others.
Something that nobody cares about: Physically impossible night skies. I don't mind if it's done deliberately for artistic purposes, like an unrealistically large moon in a fairy tale story. But this, for example, is just stupid. It's nighttime, so the sun is below the horizon. But the moon suggests, sunlight is coming from above. Some games are even worse and have stars appear in front of the moon and/or clouds. VtMB is guilty of this.

Falksi

Arcane
Repetitive quest structure.

TW3 is a fucking nightmare for it. Talk-walk-hold investigation button down for a bit-fight-walk-talk & wrap up. Every quest blends into one because regardless of what's happening in them, you're just doing the same set of actions over & over.

Humanophage

Arcane
Turn-based 3D games which you can't speed up, so you have to watch the needlessly long animations and the opponent's turn takes forever (Hard West, new X-Com, Blackguards, etc.)

Generic-Giant-Spider

For fighting games, I held a special hatred for input reading AI. Some home ports of arcade games kept this so it made some games almost impossible to enjoy on your own and you had to employ a bunch of cheesy tactics or learn how to exploit the computer.

Mortal Kombat was notorious for having some fine bullshit AI, though. They'd do things that were impossible for real players like throwing you mid-sweep animation. Fighting games of the '90s were only playable/enjoyable with friends.

sser

Arcane
Developer
When I buy a game I want to play, but then another game I want to also play comes out so I buy that too. I haven't yet even installed that first game when a third game comes along.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Games that go on too long for their mechanics. This is most modern games, maybe excepting indies.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Action-packed tutorial sequences. There's nothing wrong about a tutorial being just a tutorial. If you make a combat sequence and then proceed to bombard the player with hints and pop-up messages, it just deflates the whole thing.

Dux

Arcane
Player aggro.

It's one of those things that really drive me up the fucking wall.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about it's the case where the enemy AI WILL home in on you exclusively no matter how many friendly bots or whatever might be in the vicinity. Freelancer was a towering example of this bullshit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My biggest is that a game shouldn't feel like a movie or a novel. I play games to get the unique experience they provide, and if you don't embrace that then fuck off.

I pretty much require quicksave after 30 years of PC gaming, or at least VERY good checkpoints. I recently gave up on Dark Souls because of this, despite how much I loved other aspects of the game.

Skippable cutscenes is good, no cutscenes at all is better.

For first-person games, the mouse look and FOV need to feel "right." I've given up on a lot of games for not feeling smooth in first-person.

Syme

Arbiter
Immortal NPCs. I want to have the option of responding with disproportionate force to threats, insults, and bad writing.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Too much focus on post-game/new game+ content. Usually by that point I'm ready to move to the next game.

Using "original" terms for old concepts, like Vocation instead of Class.

Gamey melee abilities with glowing auras and whatnot.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
When there's a rickety two hundred year old door barely hanging on the hinges, and I need to find a key for it because no amount of force can destroy that door even though I have a fucking nuclear bomb in my inventory

cosmicray

Savant
I pretty much require quicksave after 30 years of PC gaming, or at least VERY good checkpoints. I recently gave up on Dark Souls because of this, despite how much I loved other aspects of the game.
Well, you can save/exit anytime you want. You just can't go back to that save if something happens in-game. So you don't need to wait for a checkpoint to quit the game. (maybe I'm wrong about Dark Souls, but Demon's Souls was like that). So it's not some kind of checkpoint-only system. You quit - you get back to the same spot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom