Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; Larian Studios

Mild-mannered Codexer Belegarsson happened to access Larian's official website today where he came across this strange image:

Clearly we're looking at an impending announcement, but for what game? Divinity III? Divinity: Original Sin III? Half-Life III? A look inside the image file's innards reveals the truth. Gentlemen, Larian Studios is making Baldur's Gate 3:

Okay, so this isn't actually that big of a surprise. Local vatnik Bester has been telling us this game was a thing since last September. Larian denied that, even as Brian Fargo admitted on Twitter that he knew who was making Baldur's Gate 3. I guess they were lying! Not cool, guys. Anyway, I assume the game will be formally announced at E3, where it'll join the growing list of RPGs already set to make an appearance there. Once again, let the drama begin!

deuxhero

Arcane
The engine is the big question. If it's the OS2 engine, complete with mod tools, there should at least be some interesting modules if the ruleset is decent.

Xeon

Augur
DOS has modules? I thought people said it was kinda hard so mostly either cheats or model mods.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
More mediocrity, MORE!!!!

tenor.gif

Sentinel

Arcane
That logo doesn't even look like it was made in Baldurs Gate style. Already wrong.
><rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">BaldursGate_logo_III_retouched.png</rdf:li>

<photoshop:TextLayers>
<rdf:Bag>
<rdf:li
photoshop:LayerName="©2019 Wizards of the Coast. All rights reserved. Baldur's Gate,"
photoshop:LayerText="©2019 Wizards of the Coast. All rights reserved. Baldur's Gate, Dungeons &amp; Dragons, and their respective logos are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast LLC. ©2019 Larian Studios. All rights reserved. Larian Studios is a registered trademark of Arrakis nv, affiliate of Larian Studios Games ltd."/>
photoshop:LayerName="GATHER YOUR PARTY"
photoshop:LayerText="GATHER YOUR PARTY"/>
</rdf:Bag>
</photoshop:TextLayers>

That logo doesn't even look like it was made in Baldurs Gate style. Already wrong.

<photoshop:TextLayers>
<rdf:Bag>
photoshop:LayerName="©2019 Wizards of the Coast. All rights reserved. Baldur's Gate,"
photoshop:LayerText="©2019 Wizards of the Coast. All rights reserved. Baldur's Gate, Dungeons &amp; Dragons, and their respective logos are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast LLC. ©2019 Larian Studios. All rights reserved. Larian Studios is a registered trademark of Arrakis nv, affiliate of Larian Studios Games ltd."/>
</rdf:Bag>
</photoshop:TextLayers>

I meant that the style is wrong, as in "We only have one information about the game and they have already screwed it". I don't doubt we are getting BG III.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Why didn't they made new RPG series? Using BG is bit silly considering original BG was made basically as an attempt to make PnP RPG on PC. They can put some of theirs own RPG sessions as base of new RPG story and they would be better with it, because they would be able to write main characters.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, it would be tragic if this was made Larian style whimsical. The writing is truly at risk.

"My hotel is as clean as an elven arse."

"Go for the eyes Boo!"

Two lines that makes sense in the context they were presented - a crazy warrior with mental retardation and a low class innkeeper to a whole game that makes you groan. I know you are taking the piss, but Larian writing... dear lord.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, how'd we go from D:OS 2 Codex GOTY and a fairly positive reception to Divinity: Fallen Heroes to this post getting a bunch of Prosper ratings? :P

Come on people, they really couldn't have picked a better developer for this except maybe Owlcat (but then it wouldn't be turn-based). Wizards of the Coast are finally making a high class D&D CRPG for the first time in a decade.

Murk

Arcane
I'll take a game with good combat over a game with good writing. Though I don't think I'd put BG1 or 2 in my list of "games with good writing" either way.

Obviously good at both is preferable, but we live in an imperfect world and sacrifices must be made.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
OK, how'd we go from D:OS 2 Codex GOTY and a fairly positive reception to Divinity: Fallen Heroes to this post getting a bunch of Prosper ratings? :P

Come on people, they really couldn't have picked a better developer for this except maybe Owlcat (but then it wouldn't be turn-based). Wizards of the Coast are finally making a high class D&D CRPG for the first time in a decade.

I can't speak for others, but I have very low hopes for Baldur's Gate III. It doesn't matter if it's Larian or someone else. It's not 2000 anymore, and they'll want the game to sell, so it'll be different. In the case of Baldur's Gate III, I don't think that different will be a good thing.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, the only good part for the writing is the second dream in BG2 and that's mostly because of the awesome voice.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Larian have shown that they kinda know what they are doing - and this is the TB Baldur's Gate that so many wanted.

So yeah, the news could be worse... much worse (which is Codexian code for "Incline!").

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom