Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

Drowed

Arcane
Honestly, I can't see a negative point in the fact that Larian is (possibly) producing BG3.

Larian relly isnt the best example when it comes to telling stories, true, but Bioware was? Eh... BG never stood out by the dialogues/story, in fact I would say that it's by far the weakest point of the series. As far as I can understand, most people liked BG because of the mage battles, and D&D, or am I wrong? And it looked really nice, too.

What we'll probably have is a new D&D game, maybe a turn-based one (incline), with native mod support. I can't see many opportunities for Larian fuck this up since they're basically going to use D&D as the basis for the game, so they won't be able to create something controversial (and shitty) like the DOS2 armor system.

The OS series has good graphics and music. It will be D&D. Turns. Story on the same 'eh' level. The only way I can see the game not working out is if they fuck the encounter design.

UnknownBro

Savant
Actually I have irrefutable proof that this is a NWN sequel.

Evidence here:

eB4smnb.png

DeepOcean

Arcane
I just hope they don't butcher the mechanics like they did on DOS 2, Larian game designers that came up with round robin, deterministic attack rolls and that ultra retarded armor systems are just fucking bad, the least they try to "improve" the mechanics and the most straightforward it is the implementation of 5e rules, the better the game will be. One big issue is that we don't know if the retarded loot system of DOS 2 will be implemented on BG 3, that is a big no no.

I don't care about IP name dropping, so what the game is turn based or has the name BG 3 on it? A BG 3 that plays like a DOS 2 would not even worthy pirating or the time wasted with it, Larian would have to pay me to play it and even then I would be hesitant.

Look, I really hope they are faithful with the implementation, but the chances are slim, they aren't some russian guys that never got a hit before and were working on a barebones budget. They are people who sold 2 million copies of a shit RPG, so it is natural they will dumb down BG 3 to sell like this shit RPG they sold with the same shit dumb down principles. I'm really skeptical there won't be major "accessibility" (our known and loved dumb down) focus game design. WOTC is known to green light game developers to "adapt" ( dumb down) DnD or people already forgot Sword Coast Legends?

Honestly why someone with minimum taste would play a dumb down inferior version of ToEE made for ADHD kids? A BG 3 with loot golden shower, deterministic attack rolls, round robin, deterministic armor system and no vacian with cooldowns, I prefer the RtwP of BG 2 to this abomination on any situation. Until Larian doesn't show the intention of copying 5e on the most straightforward way possible from the PnP game, I'm a huge skeptic. Not that I think 5e is that great but I think that whatever retarded shit Larian gameplay "designers" come up with would be far worse than it.

I hope for the best but recent history give more than enough reasons to be skeptic.

Athostar

Novice
Yeah, I don't believe they're gonna do a great job unless they get some serious writers to help write the game... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Mustawd

I've learned my lesson from the past, and have absolutely no faith whatsoever that this will be anything like the first two

that’s a positive bro.

EDIT: If this is turn based and it has module creation tools I’m gonna be hyped af.

Edit2: Shut up Barney.

Ok, I’ll stop posting ITT until it’s officially announced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delterius

Arcane
I bet, in this one player's character is an offspring of some god of jokes.
Hlal (pronounced: /həˈlɑːl/ huh-LAL[6]) was the chaotic good dragon goddess of humor, inventiveness, and pleasure.[4] Of all the dragon gods, she was the most friendly to non-dragons,[2] and her symbol, a single white flame, represented the light of wit.[4] In the Outer Planes she was more commonly known by the name of Aasterinian[4][11] and was often regarded as chaotic neutral in alignment. She was Asgorath's messenger, although she was known for being an unreliable messenger.[1][7] The Jester also had a male aspect known as Avachel or Quicksilver, who featured prominently in elven legends.[3]

so half dragon scion of Hilol

Larian, make sure to:
make this turn based.
bring back the amazing Ultima 7 style system interactivity you had in D:OS1 (out of combat spells - lets make a wizard with animate rope)
don't butcher the DnD mechanics (just use 3.x e or 5 e plz; no abominable 4e or "improvements" of D:OS2)
make native mod support
bring back the Divinity 2 style humor (keep that drunk french guy as your lead writer and neuter the new sjw "writers")
cut out the sjw cancer ( I know its hard with all the pink hair diversity librul hires but plz try)

Delterius

Arcane

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rob, as always, is as open as possible.

Just a "like" from Jennifer, so... take that as you will...

I also threw a small "bait" towards Laura Bailey, since she's a huge D&D nerd and has been involved in RPGs before (F:NV being one of them), but she hasn't answered yet. <3

Santander02

Arcane
With Bioware burning and Obsidian having sold their soul to the devil I suppose Larian was one of the least worst options to resurrect this franchise, certainly better than beamdog. Cautiously interested in this one. And speaking of Bioware, Larian has experience writing romances before so all the aeriefags have something to look forward to!

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
upload_2019-5-30_21-16-55.png

Severok. Would also match the art style of the '3' itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom