Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It Lurks Below - Terraria-like 2D sandbox RPG by the creator of Diablo

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
men detected

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Just a note: People shit on Terraria, but damn if it's still being developed to this day. Not an RPG, but you have to admire the staggering amount of value with the game. Folks making Starbound/Minecraft Terraria hybrids are welcome, but it's not like you are planting a flag somewhere - if the graphics are shittier from a larger name developer 8 years after Terraria was released, well, I expect this to go nowhere.

Also, the dungeon delving, combat, and "you died" screen and font are pretty much mirror images of Terraria - for fucks sake, bring something original to the table.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
People shit on Terraria, but damn if it's still being developed to this day. Not an RPG, but you have to admire the staggering amount of value with the game.

I've gotten my money's worth 100 times over with this damn game. I still love it, and no wannabe clones will ever topple it.

PrettyDeadman

They seemed really cool on their twitch streams so I bought the game but it turned out not to be a game I might enjoy easily.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
They seemed really cool on their twitch streams so I bought the game but it turned out not to be a game I might enjoy easily.
If it doesn't catch on, try it multiplayer with friends. Then you build a communal house, keep adding to it and adding to it and adding to it, and then there are events like blood moons where the shit hits the fan, and you are both playing your asses off. Solo, I can see how it's a coin flip.

redactir

Found it in the top sellers list after clicking show more.

https://imgur.com/a/8IvmApQ

IF it sells enough I'm pretty sure they will go through with multiplayer. The dev also said they intended to spend a couple more years on the title if possible. Now since this is,
his own IP and only his, that should imply patches that aren't just all rebalances like the Diablo series usually got.

edit: I wonder if he still has fluids in or if that was abandoned? Also such a crackerjack programmer better offer more blocks soon though. II need more blocks man, I just can't without more.

LordofSyn

Scholar
I've gotten my money's worth 100 times over with this damn game. I still love it, and no wannabe clones will ever topple it.
I absolutely agree with Terraria. It is a game that keeps on giving. I have no regrets that I own it on PC, Android, and PS3.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Farewell into the night

Game is nice. I'm in the ice zone right now, walking in mithril armor and shooting demons with a poison wand (gun).

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Found it in the top sellers list after clicking show more.

https://imgur.com/a/8IvmApQ

IF it sells enough I'm pretty sure they will go through with multiplayer. The dev also said they intended to spend a couple more years on the title if possible. Now since this is,
his own IP and only his, that should imply patches that aren't just all rebalances like the Diablo series usually got.

edit: I wonder if he still has fluids in or if that was abandoned? Also such a crackerjack programmer better offer more blocks soon though. II need more blocks man, I just can't without more.
Seeing your link, I went to the Terraria page.
* 200,000 reviews, Overwhelmingly positive
* 12,000,000 copies sold.
* $9.99
* 8 Years old and still developing

What I'm saying is, if they are going to rip off a game... well, there appears to be a lot of people interested in Terraria and maybe it's not such a bad idea...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Sure, but when your game looks pretty much like the game you're ripping off, most people will think, why not buy the original. From the title I was expecting something more unique than a straight copycat

redactir

I had written a long post to try to apologize for the dev's decisions and focus. Instead I will say just a few things.

-Rpg character sheet and grinding are done respectably (or eventually you can be sure it will get there due to who the dev is)
-Had you bought the game while it was in EA, would you be as repulsed?
-It probably WAS a mistake to not make the things MORE original than we already see them terraria,starbound etc,.
-It's not as revolutionary as diablo 1/2. But on the side they actually pitch regularly in to developing Path of Exile. So maybe go play PoE to suspend your disbelief.
-The dev had to do everything. Including coding everything in very close to pure C.
-They've built their engine/game around fast iteration. So things could get a lot better.
-The dev is a codexer in everyway. (He may however be metaphorically cucked by his regional origins)

redactir

A curious new patch is out! Understand this however:

1st) The game involves constant jumping for nearly every character class
2nd) It uses uses a naming scheme for runes consisting of short combinations of letters

What needed to be changed this time?

y7Kr08c.png

What's that? BET had to be changed to ZED? What could motivate such an important refinement?

TL63x5F.png

Wow. That really is traumatizing!

I hope Graybeard Games fires the employee behind this travesty and disavows + disassociates from them entirely. It is unacceptable to have such systemic racism.
It's time a person of color, or a woman take over (the dev's wife?). The whole IP should be handed over this instant.

I'm done with this white privileged dev. Fuck this game, and definitely fuck that guy.

ColCol

Arcane
:necro:

its on sale. Is it good? How does it compare with regions of ruin?

It has much more free building (Akin to terraria), compared to Region of ruins town focused creation. Combat at its core feels diabo like (dealing with hordes) and leaves a lot more room for builds* (Compared to region'ss slower almost quasi dark souls feel) . Is also offers an ability to turn the survival mechanics off to just focus on delving, which is great. REgions of ruin offers more exploring, lore, and puzzles than it lurks below. Regions isis also designed to be played in shorter but more satisfying chunks. REgion is harder, but Lurks below can be punishing due to dropping items if you die and having to plan your food resources out (both can lead to a death loop) . Lurks is still getting support, with so far one whole extra dungeon and races added recently (called badlands) . Overall, Lurks is a dablo like with some building sections to break up the tedium. It does not take long and values your time by allowing you to play it your way.

* Builds are item focused. In two major ways. First dropped items and sockets determine stat build. But, as you level up you receive what are called ancient items that are your skills. You level up the ones you like by investing money into them. As you explore you can also find generic and other class based ancient items dropped by enemies You can't upgrade these, but they give your more abilities and passives. My squishy necro, for example ,found one that gives him a small forcefield.

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
Yeah, I kinda wanted more weapon variety but he didn't implement other non-range weapons well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom