Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

Melcar

Arcane
Not optimistic about this at all. Larian is a big meh from me.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This announcement pleases me.
However, I willl remain skeptical about the game itself until it actually appears and its quality can be assessed first-hand and/or until people I trust play it and confirm that it is good.
Thank you for your time.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The idea of moving my 04 man party on the streets of Baldur's gate and just see the ground inundated with crap Diablo shit items and having to press alt to see the odd one that has 2% more numbers than the one I'm currently using and acquired just 30 mins ago makes me feel bad of the stomach.

Zeriel

Arcane
The engine is the big question. If it's the OS2 engine, complete with mod tools, there should at least be some interesting modules if the ruleset is decent.

The real horrifying thing to contemplate is the ruleset. 2E is out of course, and 3E or 3.5E might be out too. If it's 4E or later we are really fucked, which is sad because older D&D rulesets are about as good as it's gonna get for a PC game. Its crazy to think how much the world has changed, if Larian was making a D&D game in 2005 I'd be so excited, but at this point there are so many ways this could go wrong.

Vatnik Wumao
DOS had really bad problems with its writing. The pace of the story was all over the place and it made the entire game a grind to get through. The fights also became really tedious the deeper you got into the game. I do not have high hopes.

I don't even give a shit if it's real time (meh) or turn-based (yay) but I'll tell you right now: if they make BG3 with the shitty randomized itemization of the past Larian titles (the feature that almost single-handedly ruined both the D:OS for me) I'm going to be fucking mad.

That said, I'm relatively optimist.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Why the fuck does it look like Diablo font style?

And there is no music to go with the gif... Quality, goosebumps inducing music in the main menu/character creation screen is recognizable trait of BG series and would have shown they've at least done their homework.

cosmicray

Savant
The real horrifying thing to contemplate is the ruleset. 2E is out of course, and 3E or 3.5E might be out too. If it's 4E or later we are really fucked, which is sad because older D&D rulesets are about as good as it's gonna get for a PC game.
Why 5E is bad?

Shin

Cipher
Disregarding all the fuss about who's writing is more 'shit' (Larian or Bioware); I think I'm worried most about Larian not being able to stylistically match the writing in the previous BG games. Sure the BG saga wasn't the epitome of some next-level writing shit but it got the mix between serious and humorous tones quite right. Also, the 'grand sense of adventure' I got from the BG's games is probably why I love em so much... Larian games do a lot of stuff right; but they often lack this 'grand sense of adventure' stuff for me..

.. of course it might just be me (or us). I was younger.. and more naïve. Ah, to be young again...

catfood

AGAIN
I don't even give a shit if it's real time (meh) or turn-based (yay) but I'll tell you right now: if they make BG3 with the shitty randomized itemization of the past Larian titles (the feature that almost single-handedly ruined both the D:OS for me) I'm going to be fucking mad.

That said, I'm relatively optimist.
I doubt they'll use item randomization for this game. I don't recall any past D&D title with Diablo type loot system.

Zeriel

Arcane
Disregarding all the fuss about who's writing is more 'shit' (Larian or Bioware); I think I'm worried most about Larian not being able to stylistically match the writing in the previous BG games. Sure the BG saga wasn't the epitome of some next-level writing shit but it got the mix between serious and humorous tones quite right. Also, the 'grand sense of adventure' I got from the BG's games is probably why I love em so much... Larian games do a lot of stuff right; but they often lack this 'grand sense of adventure' stuff for me..

.. of course it might just be me (or us). I was younger.. and more naïve. Ah, to be young again...

Nah, they are very different games. BG1 especially has an "on the road" narrative and also map design that supports it.

catfood

AGAIN

Nah, they are very different games. BG1 especially has an "on the road" narrative and also map design that supports it.
Yeah, judging by their past titles Larian isn't capable of creating outdoor environments that aren't corridors. It's going to be nothing like BG, or even BG 2.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
The real horrifying thing to contemplate is the ruleset. 2E is out of course, and 3E or 3.5E might be out too. If it's 4E or later we are really fucked, which is sad because older D&D rulesets are about as good as it's gonna get for a PC game.
Why 5E is bad?

I don't play DND. But from my limited understanding 5E is bad because it is a watered down version of DND made to attract noobs who just want to jump in and play without dealing with complicated rules to remember

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom