Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Someone at Larian did an oopsie.

This is an "accidentally on purpose" oopsie if I ever saw one.

As an aside, this "oopsie" shit reminds me of that retard PewDiePie and his legion of mouthbreathing fans. You're better than this, son.

scytheavatar

Scholar
I don't get the people complaining about Larian's writing ranging from mediocre to garbage, since when did the Baldur's Gate series have good writing? Wasn't everyone shitting on Baldur's Gate 2 on release because the writing is terrible compared to Planescape Torment? Think it is extremely hard to argue Baldur's Gate 2 had better writing than D:OS2. People play Baldur's Gate games for the combat and the setting, and Larian is usually good at both of that.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
People play Baldur's Gate games for the combat and the setting, and Larian is usually good at both of that.

You'll find people who dislike RtwP and enjoyed Baldur's Gate. You'll find people that dislike the writing in BG and enjoyed BG. You'll find people who dislike the banal Forgotten Realms setting and enjoyed BG.

People liked this game for different reasons. And the fact that Icewind Dale is not remembered even a tenth as much as BG indicates that people enjoyed the writing in BG far more than you're letting on.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
The main difference in writing between BG2 and whatever the fuck Larian has been doing with Divinity is that the former is not annoying as shit.

Syme

Arbiter
Jesus I hope they bother to make proper maps this time around, DOS 1 and 2 had no sense of scale whatsoever. None of it felt like an actual fantasy world, just a bunch of leveled zones with a questhub in the middle. I mean just imagine walking from the Friendly Arm to Nashkel in 2 minutes on the same fucking map. Better stay on the road though, you don't wanna run into that boss skeleton in Ulcaster Ruins! Of course you could try to kite him west towards Drizzt...

...:negative:

Ventidius

Arbiter
Probably won't be much like the originals. Nonetheless, a turn-based DnD game developed by a Larian working under a pnp ruleset that limits their ability to introduce sophomoric mechanics like the armor and initiative systems from DOS 2... not a bad prospect at all. Will be keeping an eye out for this.

hell bovine

Arcane
Didn't WotC bring back daddy dearest back from the dead in the latest edition? Perhaps that's what it'll be about:

Baldur's Gate 3: A Really Awkward Family Reunion.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't get the people complaining about Larian's writing ranging from mediocre to garbage, since when did the Baldur's Gate series have good writing? Wasn't everyone shitting on Baldur's Gate 2 on release because the writing is terrible compared to Planescape Torment?

Gradients mate, gradients. BG2 had shit writing compared to PT. But PT is like top of game writing. While BG2 story wasn't anything amazing i was good enough to gave purpose to chase all around places while you did those megaquests with pulp fantasy characters who were just fun to play with.

BG2 wasn't anything special in therms of writing but it was competent enough to not have bad writing.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
WOTC's new art

236f03e1eb402151abe85d02f683c800.jpg
Generic as shit... Also amells like corean shit
I’ll take that over 4E/5E.
Only this isn't from WOTC, is it? I've been seeing these on pinterest for a long time.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Very confused as to why people are so excited about this.

1- Larian made it's name with a turn-based game and is now going to make a sucessor to the game that pioneered RtwP? If they make it turn-based they would be betraying the series roots and could've called their game just about anything else; if they make it RtwP, we have no reason to expect it to be good, since they never made such a game.

2- The writing and story in DoS ranged from mediocre to garbage. I didn't care for the tone at all. BG was far from a grimdark ultraserious franchise, but (thank god) it's a far cry from whatever DoS was.

3- Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and ToB tell a complete and finished story, there's no reason to continue the Bhaalspawn saga (is there even a feasible way to do it in current FR setting?). This makes me think people are creaming their pants just because it's D&D and Forgotten Realms? Why?

I'm saying this as someone who ranks BG 2 as one of my favorite games of all time. I've replayed that shit all the way through about 5-6 times, did an SCS run of BG 1 and 2 just 2 years ago. And I just can't bring myself to be excited for this. More like worried they'll take a shit over something I have fond memories of.
1. There is nothing wrong with TB BG game. When I played Bg1 and BG2 originally I always through it would be even better if it was TB. D&D is designed for TB after all.
2. Writing will for sure be better than what other modern RPG studios offer, those like Obsidian or Bethesda or Bioware. No need to worry about this.
3. I am happy that many in the past didn't think like this because we would never get games like Fallout 2, Kotor 2 or others.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Absolute Meh.

Sounds like I'm going to have to scratch Larian off the list of RPG devs that make games I'm interested in.

Swen is still cool though.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dunno what to think about this one tbh.
If Larian is going to use a D&D system, fixed loot and more sensible writing (lol) it'll be a blast. But if this is going to be DOS3 in BG clothing, shit.

volklore

Arcane
I think people are reading too much into usage of the BG name. It's likely just WoTC going for their first massive cRPG In a long time so it seems safe to just go for baldur's gate. It would make no sense for Larian to go RTwP on a basis of their strength (they have a well working Turn based engine). The question is wether or not they will crumble or not under the 'weight' of the IP and feel forced to go RTwP even though I am sure nobody really wants that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom