Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Personally the only RPG makers I'm interested in nowadays are the ATOM guys. They went far above my wildest hopes for what could be done these days with dedication, skill and vision even on a shoestring.

I'm not denigrating others as I'm sure the games will be more or less competent and maybe even enjoyable to an extent, but I've lost any enthusiasm for any name dropping or revivals with any other RPG dev....

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gott im Himmel... Larian was never too serious about their games, except the original Divine Divinity had some seriousness intertwined in it... Baldur's Gate on the other hand never was a masterpiece when it comes to writing, it was interesting enough, ages ahead of any trash filler (original NWN campaign I'm looking at you); but there is no way I can take the new kind of Larian "oh lel so random" humor in BG. Staple, LOTR ripoff, cheesy, template fantasy is better than that, always.

Zeriel

Arcane
Why can't people just let things go? Throne of Bhaal closed it off, let it rest in peace.

It'll probably have nothing to do with Bhaalspawn. It's not like Baldur's Gate even had Bhaal in the title. Its just generic "this is set in Forgotten Realms" themeing is my guess.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why can't people just let things go? Throne of Bhaal closed it off, let it rest in peace.

It'll probably have nothing to do with Bhaalspawn. It's not like Baldur's Gate even had Bhaal in the title. Its just generic "this is set in Forgotten Realms" themeing is my guess.
Probably that with a few references here and there.

Well, could have been a worse dev than Larian, so... careful optimism?
If it is at least as good as D:OS2, it will at least be... alright.

Zeriel

Arcane

I mean thats where the edition gets weird. Everything after 2e/3e Forgotten Realms is a completely different setting, most of the familiar gods from BG won't even exist. Its no accident after they did the major setting shift that the setting lost a lot of its popularity. Same goes for later editions of the main-line D&D rules too, they tried to retcon the abyss/baator/etc into generic devil & angel stuff.

It's one large reason I think new D&D games are kind of an abortion, the nostalgia people have vanishes the moment they start playing it again and realize that everything they knew is gone and replaced by pablum they could get from any MMO or generic PC RPG.

Falksi

Arcane
This makes me happy.

As others have suggested, here's hoping some of the Divinity 2 writers are involved. The humour in that game was great and, whilst I don't want BG3 to turn into a Disney/Marvel-esq "laugh" fest, a blend of serious adventuring with Divinity 2 style humour would be right up my street.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
OK, how'd we go from D:OS 2 Codex GOTY and a fairly positive reception to Divinity: Fallen Heroes to this post getting a bunch of Prosper ratings?
Bladder's Gape is cringey shit. Admittedly Larian's stuff is too, but DOS2 was less cringey than the Minsc bullshit.

RTwP is cancer. People assume this is going to be TB but I wouldn't be so sure, after all it's BG3 and BG is the game that defined RTwCrap.

Forgotten Realms is the worst fantasy setting.

Larian's efforts will therefore be focused on guaranteed shit instead of some possible minimal incline.

volklore

Arcane
Larian's writing might be too goofy for BG, it's not like they have to go that much back to match BG1 style. I think Larian is much better off going for a BG1 style game that doesn't rely too much on writing, rather than a BG2 style game. It feels weird that these two game are in the same series when they have so radically different focus.
And I think swen retroactively admitting the armor system was a failure is a good sign. Hoping they'll go turn-based.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
OK, how'd we go from D:OS 2 Codex GOTY and a fairly positive reception to Divinity: Fallen Heroes...

OK, how'd we go from D:OS 2 Codex GOTY...

D:OS 2 Codex GOTY

10OgC4i.gif
I at least voted for Expeditions: Viking which was the best rpg that year while the rest of you voted for D:OS2...

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The real horrifying thing to contemplate is the ruleset. 2E is out of course, and 3E or 3.5E might be out too. If it's 4E or later we are really fucked, which is sad because older D&D rulesets are about as good as it's gonna get for a PC game.
Why 5E is bad?

Non-existential build depth and the combat has been simplified to be very repetitive and boring

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

I mean thats where the edition gets weird. Everything after 2e/3e Forgotten Realms is a completely different setting, most of the familiar gods from BG won't even exist. Its no accident after they did the major setting shift that the setting lost a lot of its popularity. Same goes for later editions of the main-line D&D rules too, they tried to retcon the abyss/baator/etc into generic devil & angel stuff.

It's one large reason I think new D&D games are kind of an abortion, the nostalgia people have vanishes the moment they start playing it again and realize that everything they knew is gone and replaced by pablum they could get from any MMO or generic PC RPG.

Wasn't the point of the most recent edition of FR to roll back the lore changes?

At the end of the Second Sundering, most of the consequences that the Spellplague had wrought upon Toril were nowhere to be seen.

Many deities previously presumed dead or missing managed to return to life (or to re-emerge) during the Second Sundering, and then to quickly amass new followers (or to win back their old faithful),[31] and to reclaim at least some of their former portfolios (resulting in a new distribution of spheres of influence among the Faerûnian deities).[32] Known examples were: Mystra,[27][32]Helm,[21][32]Mask,[8][32]Lathander,[23][32]Bhaal,[6][32] all the previously lost Drow gods,[33]Leira,[32]Myrkul,[32]Gilgeam, Enlil, and Nanna-Sin;[24][25] all the Mulhorandi gods,[10]Azuth,[32][25] and Tyr, among others.[32]

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Second_Sundering

Zeriel

Arcane

Wasn't the point of the most recent edition of FR to roll back the lore changes?

At the end of the Second Sundering, most of the consequences that the Spellplague had wrought upon Toril were nowhere to be seen.

Many deities previously presumed dead or missing managed to return to life (or to re-emerge) during the Second Sundering, and then to quickly amass new followers (or to win back their old faithful),[31] and to reclaim at least some of their former portfolios (resulting in a new distribution of spheres of influence among the Faerûnian deities).[32] Known examples were: Mystra,[27][32]Helm,[21][32]Mask,[8][32]Lathander,[23][32]Bhaal,[6][32] all the previously lost Drow gods,[33]Leira,[32]Myrkul,[32]Gilgeam, Enlil, and Nanna-Sin;[24][25] all the Mulhorandi gods,[10]Azuth,[32][25] and Tyr, among others.[32]

That's not the same as those things never happening. It's like when they try to pander to old Trek fans with a Picard show after they've completely gutted the Trek timeline and franchise.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's not the same as those things never happening. It's like when they try to pander to old Trek fans with a Picard show after they've completely gutted the Trek timeline and franchise.
Not really comparable.
The gutted ST timeline is that created by the new movies (and series? No idea, don't care about Discovery). The only connection to that timeline is that the event causing the timeline happens in the "normal" Picard timeline. But Picard will be set in the universe everyone knows and loves - except Romulans will have gone the way of the Dodo mostly, and the following power vacuum/shifts will no doubt be among the major conflicts of the series - and about 20 years after Nemesis.
So Picard, in contrast to whatever BG3 will be IF it is set in the "new old" D&D setting, does not take place in any kind of reset or retconned setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom