Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel's Avengers by Crystal Dynamics with Eidos Montreal

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Reveal at June 10th:

I still think a Captain America game could be pretty damn good.

Like I said in the Spider-Man PS4 thread:

Anyway. A Captain America video game, now that would be pretty fucking cool. The amount of variation it could have with levels and enemies is fantastic - from WW2 and modern day battlefield and military bases, hi-tech labs, alien spaceships/planets; regular humans with normal and futuristic weapons, super powered beings and supernatural creatures. And the gameplay due to Cap's abilities could have it all: shooting, parkour, hand-to-hand combat, sneaking and espionage, while at the same time remaining challenging since Steve Roger's is still just a man.

Alas no Dev nowadays is that creative and competent to make a decent game from this.

And the same could be said for Iron Man.

They could do a pretty cool Avengers game by basically just doing The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction with the rest of the character in there. Could do it like a pure action game, have action game inputs for moves, or do it like Dragon's Dogma. Doing Dragon's Dogma but your grab button actually functions like a grapple in a beat 'em up game, and your seven or whatever Avengers are basically just different classes, and you can switch between the four you take with you on missions on the fly could make for a good game. Either way nick Dragon's Dogma's climbing around on giant enemies thing, as no matter what that'd be cool in fights against giant robots, Fin Fang Foom, or just whatever. Have it be a kind of third person action oriented Freedom Force.

There's definitely a lot of really cool things you could do with a game like this. Crystal Dynamics is sort of a weird company, though, so I'll believe that they can pull it off when I see it. The biggest concern being, in my opinion, that trying to make a variety of superheroes will lead to either a fairly simplistic overall experience or very same-y characters.

I'd imagine one of the nice things about doing a Marvel action game is you've already had someone like Capcom out there ahead of you showing how you can make these characters feel different. I mean, a 2D fighting game isn't the same as a 3D action game, but it also wouldn't be hard to figure out how to work their functions into a 3D environment either.

ADL

Prophet
Just a reminder, we're not getting the conclusion to the Deus Ex Jensen Trilogy because of capeshit. Thanks Square Enix.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Just a reminder, we're not getting the conclusion to the Deus Ex Jensen Trilogy because of capeshit. Thanks Square Enix.

It was more because they didn't sell as well as Square expected.
Besides, meh.
HR was mediocre, sincerely I think IW was better.
And MD has only good during the Prague segments (and that was like half the game, the other half was just so bland).
And overall who cares if we don't get to see the end of a shit story.

J1M

Arcane

It was more because they didn't sell as well as Square expected.
Besides, meh.
HR was mediocre, sincerely I think IW was better.
And MD has only good during the Prague segments (and that was like half the game, the other half was just so bland).
And overall who cares if we don't get to see the end of a shit story.
After years of searching, Adam Jensen finally tracks down his ex girlfriend. Along the way he has seen too much and has realized that she's always been a selfish bitch. He tells her off and rides into the sunset on his cyber-horse augmentation.

Deux Ex: Red Pill

:lol:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I don't care about this capeshit, but if they go ahead and make another DX game after that, they better reboot the entire franchise from scratch. I can't stand Adam's nihilistic attitude and all that Gold-Black faggy art style shit any longer.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm not even sure what the fuck it is. I watched via the Giant Bomb restream and they were livid over Square not even saying what the fucking genre is. I guess it's going to be shown at E3 itself though, so we'll know soon (which makes the lack of info even more weird).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So this is what they meant with narrative-driven games as a service:

Marvel’s Avengers features a cinematic story, complete with the high-octane action that Crystal Dynamics is known for. Featuring regular content updates, the game will take players on an epic journey delivered over multiple years.

“We’ve assembled world-class developers from across the industry to bring players on an unforgettable journey,” said Ron Rosenberg, Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics. “To ensure a truly heroic experience for all players, we’re announcing that our narrative will be delivered over multiple years, with no random loot boxes or pay-to-win scenarios. Every new Super Hero and region will be delivered to players at no additional cost if you own the core game. This is just the beginning of what we’ve got in store for our fans.”

Btw this is one of the two games from SE press event that they didn't specify Steam in trailers and press releases. (The other one is Outriders, sci-fi co-op FPS.)

RapineDel

Augur
Btw this is one of the two games from SE press event that they didn't specify Steam in trailers and press releases. (The other one is Outriders, sci-fi co-op FPS.)

I doubt Marvel would let them go down the Epic Store route with this an create a bunch of bad will, especially after the Battlefront fiasco by EA. Given this is obviously another "service" based game I think it's more likely we'll see a Square Enix client.

ekrolo2

Learned
Black Widow never looked better:

D8ygxG5XoAAT-FJ

Release on May 15th:

Oh man, those costumes.

Captain America looks like they're adapting him from some low budget modern Cannon movie. Him and Thor look like live action costumes made on budgets. Captain America's look is kind of confounding though since it's not even a cool looking vest. I can get what they're going for, original Captain America had chainmail, so this one has more modern armor...but it looks bad. I'm even a fan of Fighting Chance Captain America, which is basically the exact same idea, but it looks cooler in Fighting Chance.

843985.jpg

Thor, I don't even know what the fuck is going on there. It's a super bulky practical superhero costume that's bigger than any of the costumes made for the live action movies. It looks like a really bad version of one of his Dark World looks. They want to play practical they should just do the Winge painting with Marvel Thor colors and paints. Seems weird they'd give him armor then drop the helmet.

So the stuff that looked like gameplay in the trailer is in fact gameplay; which I was guessing was true from another thing I heard, although they didn't come out and say it was like Max does in the video.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like how they had an actual gameplay demo at the show and most journalists are still confused about what the game is and summed it up as "some kind of action game."

ADL

Prophet
Watching that premiere was frustrating because every leak has been clear about it being a Destiny-like GaaS in the past. Don't know why they're making it seem like a linear action game with optional co-op.

It sounds like there's two different modes for the game. One being what sounds like a single player mode (or story mode) where, at least from the demo shown, the game will automatically switch you between characters in a stage. Although given it sounds like the opening of the game that could just be to give you a handle of everyone. And a multiplayer (or skirmish) mode where you're playing with people like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and your characters aren't set like it sounds like they will be in the story mode.

The frustrating thing about their E3 showing is they had a big gameplay chunk to show off, but instead showed only snippets that most people seemingly didn't think were gameplay and then shit nobody gives a fuck about like the cast talking about the characters like they're bring back Star Wars and a sneak peek at a non-gameplay "dramatic" moment. I wonder who's idea that showing was: Marvel, Square Enix, or Crystal Dynamics? Given the FF7 show at the start with gameplay and a boss fight I'm guessing it wasn't Square Enix.

Here's some horrible footage of the gameplay:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom