Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Well I liked both DOS games, sue me, but even I can see that the overall feel of their games is too far off from BG. Probably only Owlcat could pull it off in a proper manner, but I guess Larian was the only big profile RPG studio that didn't turn to shit, so here we are.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why can't people just let things go? Throne of Bhaal closed it off, let it rest in peace.
I have a feeling they won't continue the Bhaal saga. That's a closed story, and I hope Larian is intelligent enough to realize that it would be better to start a new storyline.

Just because it is called Baldur's Gate, it doesn't mean it has to be about the Bhaalspawn.

Xeon

Augur
Then I hope at least it will take place in Baldur's Gate and not in Amn or something dumb like that.

ikarinokami

Augur
I doubt it will be RTWP. 5e is super popular with a lot of new people. It would seriously annoy those people, not to mention the whole point of this game is to make 5E more popular, making it use some wierd RTWP engine does not that, I have to believe logically that they got the license because of how good they are with turned based combat. Swen has never hid his love for TB RPG. I can't believe he would want to make a RTWP one.

If I have to choose between a superior written game with atmosphere and trash combat (owlcat) or trash writing but better turned based combat (lavarin), give me the combat.

Last edited:
So... umm... how do we know it's going to be turn based? The fact that both D:OS games were and that Larian has experience with it doesn't automatically make BG3 so.

Anyhow, I'm excited, I think Larian can make BG3 "right" and yes, I think their writing style will fit the BG universe nicely.
I hope we play Imoens lesbian niece

aris

Arcane
Obsidian should have been the ones making it. They did make two great sequels in spirit. But I have great hopes in larian as well. But it can only go down from here :(

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First D:OS was great and fun. Didn't play the revised edition.

D:OS2 was very bad IMO. They completely fucked up the combat with the armor and magic armor bars. I don´t know what they were thinking about.

With the great engine they have for turn based combat and good graphics, if they stick to D&D they can make a worthy successor to BG2.

Not too fan also about the character progression in those games.

Also they have to find a good tone for the script. Not too dark-emo-edgy, not as cheesy as the man with many cheeses.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Why can't people just let things go? Throne of Bhaal closed it off, let it rest in peace.
I have a feeling they won't continue the Bhaal saga. That's a closed story, and I hope Larian is intelligent enough to realize that it would be better to start a new storyline.

Just because it is called Baldur's Gate, it doesn't mean it has to be about the Bhaalspawn.

I feel like people would expect at least some tenuous connection to the previous game's story.

Last edited:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wonder if Chris is involved. Making him lead writer or even project director would instantly remove all whining about Larian writing and make BG3 the most anticipated game on the Codex.

Falksi

Arcane
I feel like people would expect at least some tenous connection to the previous game's story.
I'd be happy with that. No need to go full out Bhaalspawn again, but no reason why your character can't be the offspring of one of the old characters or something.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Erebus

Arcane
I fail to see how a real Baldur's Gate 3 could ever exist, and I've never understood people who desire such a game.

At the end of Throne of Bhaal, the story is utterly over : the PC has either become a god or given up his bloodline to remain a mortal. A game where you play a D&D god could be interesting, but it would be completely different from the BG series. And even the ending where you remain a mortal certainly doesn't call for a sequel : ToB is already epic level D&D and you can't very well go beyond that.

So what ? A soft reboot ? A needless sequel in which, for some ridiculous reason, the PC loses all of his XP and regains his Bhaalspawn taint ? A story about the kid he has with (and after) fucking Aerie ? Something that mostly happens in the same region, features some of the old characters and has a few gratuitous ties to the original plot ? Or just something that happens in the Forgotten Realms and (like several other CRPGs that already exist) draws inspiration from Baldur's Gate ?

In any case, "Baldur's Gate 3" would be a blatant cash grab, the creation of someone who's realized that people are easily blinded by name recognition and nostalgia (as illustrated by several highly marketable movie franchises), and who would rather use that than try and stand on his own two feet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Something that mostly happens in the same region, features some of the old characters and has a few gratuitous ties to the original plot ? Or just something that happens in the Forgotten Realms and (like several other CRPGs that already exist) draws inspiration from Baldur's Gate ?

In any case, "Baldur's Gate 3" would be a blatant cash grab, the creation of someone who's realized that people are easily blinded by name recognition and nostalgia (as illustrated by several highly marketable movie franchises), and who would rather use that than try and stand on his own two feet.

Yes. Welcome to the gaming industry, buddy.
dollars.png
dollars.png
dollars.png

Interesting that Bloodlines 2 hasn't gotten the same sort of complaints. It's an identical situation. Perhaps there's less of an expectation of direct narrative continuity in that sort of story and setting.

Melcar

Arcane
I don't know. Maybe have it set after the spunk of Bhaal leaves BG for Amn, where you play as a guard or a merc that was on the employ of the former Iron Throne. Could be some sort of post apocalyptic setting where the city is in turmoil after the the Iron Throne was destroyed.
Or set it a few years after the PC from the original games ascends/dies and be totally unrelated, but have some old references like magic weapons/items that used to belong to the original PC or characters that are related somehow.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I fail to see how a real Baldur's Gate 3 could ever exist, and I've never understood people who desire such a game.

At the end of Throne of Bhaal, the story is utterly over : the PC has either become a god or given up his bloodline to remain a mortal. A game where you play a D&D god could be interesting, but it would be completely different from the BG series. And even the ending where you remain a mortal certainly doesn't call for a sequel : ToB is already epic level D&D and you can't very well go beyond that.

So what ? A soft reboot ? A needless sequel in which, for some ridiculous reason, the PC loses all of his XP and regains his Bhaalspawn taint ? A story about the kid he has with (and after) fucking Aerie ? Something that mostly happens in the same region, features some of the old characters and has a few gratuitous ties to the original plot ? Or just something that happens in the Forgotten Realms and (like several other CRPGs that already exist) draws inspiration from Baldur's Gate ?

That's exactly what it will be ^ ^

a meh experience capitalizing off nostalgia... and they chose the perfect mediocre studio

ArchAngel

Arcane

It exists in same way Fallout 2 or Kotor 2 existed. You place the game in similar setting and into some future. You get a completely new character and you reference the original game a few times here and there and meet a few characters from it.

I liked D:OS, even if the plot was weak. The dialogue itself was generally good—even clever, but when it suffered it was due to the campy nature of the plot. When they keep the stakes low-key, I feel they do alright. They chronically go epic, which they suffer miserably at. Otherwise, D:OS took what was great about 1990s RPGs and took it further. It is an excellent example of a spiritual successor.

Baldur’s Gate 1 was a good adventure, with good writing. It doesn’t take itself overly serious though, which is actually beneficial. Some people fail to see the virtue in that and use it as a weapon against itself. Sven has a lot of reverence for the classics from 20 years ago, so if they can manage a plot and stick strictly to D&D 5th edition mechanics, they’ll produce something BG1 quality or better—which would be a miracle.

PS: They’ll also need to be mindful of their art direction if they stay in the Forgotten Realms. None of this pulpy quasi-Warhammer/Blizzard bullshit.

Drowed

Arcane

I mean, people who like and identify with certain games/films/books always want something more in the same setting, no? To know how the world went on, how the characters' stories ended (or didn't end), and what other adventures would take place in that world. After all, isn't that exactly what happens in tabletop campaigns? Many end up with you saving the world, defeating the villain, becoming gods with epic equipment and levels. You are no longer the young warrior who protected the village from an attack of wolves, after 3 years of playing, you are the warrior who crossed dimensions to fight against extraplanar monsters that threatened the fabric of reality itself.

Where to go after that? Nowhere. Everyone at the table keeps their characters, store them, and creates new ones to start a new campaign. With new challenges to face, new stories, new enemies, new monsters, new loot. And once in a while during adventures, you'll meet characters who comment on the incredible victories of the ancient/old heroes, or discover that the village you saved today has become a city. Isn't that exactly the essence of adventures in D&D games? Baldur's Gate, essentially, could be an endless series, always expanding the lore and ambience, always with new challenges to face.

It may be a "cash grab", but it's cash that a lot of people would gladly give because it's exactly what they want to buy.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Can think of worse studios to helm the project. Larian will have to prove they can make a coherent, story-driven game. Hopefully it won't be pastel-colored 3d.

aris

Arcane
It's always so good to read the codex when such announcements happen. Because there are so many members that know, just based on a logo and the developer, exactly how the game will pan out. Such clairvoyance is very useful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom