Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
How viable is it to play MTG Arena without paying anything? I'm not looking for anything competitive (my only experience with the game is the PC adaptations starting with the 1997 Microprose game and some Magic Duels), just looking to have the occasional fun.

I think you can have fun for a good amount of hours totally f2p. Game gives you a lot of free decks to unlock and I guess there's some new card unlock feature thing for new players? Also when you're new the game matches you with other new players for your first x number of games so you won't be getting stomped by meta bullshit right away.

I'd say if you like card games you'll probably have fun for at least 20 hours f2p

Jason Liang

Arcane
Some pictures this time ~
mtga094.jpg

mtga095.jpg

A couple of pretty turn 4 kills

mtga096.jpg

Fun when you get Karn and Saheeli going together. Dreadhorde Arcanist is very gud with equipment

Doktor Best

Arcane
"Having fun" is debatable in this one. The game is strictly competitive - to progress you need to play vs. people and win. There's no casual modes (and nobody knows if or when there'll be any) so you're stuck playing practice matches or direct challenging other people.

When it comes to F2P viability, if you are any good with the game and willing to put in the hours, you can reasonably get a good bunch of top tier decks (and a lot of crappy brews) without spending a dime.

Of course there is casual mode. Its called "play".

Alpan The game is more generous than Hearthstone with its quest rewards and limited is actually fun to play AND worthwhile to enhance your collection.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L8OiegAETD5k393PGegq7Ps5sgsRi-0Zqy4r3e4qULg/htmlview#

Here is a good card tier list for limited. S+A are bomb cards, try to get those, then create a deck with synergies around that. Ah and dont forget removal.

Keep in mind that you get to keep every card you pick in the draft, so picking a mythic rare/rare card you want over a card that fits into your deck can be worthwhile.

spectre

Arcane
Of course there is casual mode. Its called "play".
I gotta say, I havent really played "play" in a very long while, but judging by the weekly butthurt thread on the official forums, it's still not exactly casual.
Granted, a lot of this noise is just morons whining about being paired with "top tier p2w decks", when in reality they're struggling vs. barely upgraded MehrVolks.

Depends on your definition of casual I suppose, so here's how I see it: It's not easy to do f2p casual in Arena, because you need to play competitively to get cards
for that cat tribal, or whatever's the thing you get off to.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Holy shit, just got boned with a 0-6 losing streak in ranked draft :negative:

What's worse is I thought my decks were pretty good, but everyone I went up against just had perfect curve and response to literally every card I played. Time to take a nice long break from this

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
easy platinum here, and also fun!

3 Justiciar's Portal (RNA) 13
3 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
3 Teferi's Time Twist (WAR) 72
1 Swamp (RIX) 194
1 Fblthp, the Lost (WAR) 50
2 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Clear the Mind (RNA) 34
3 Dusk Legion Zealot (RIX) 70
2 Tyrant's Scorn (WAR) 225
3 Militia Bugler (M19) 29
3 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
3 Ravenous Chupacabra (RIX) 82
2 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
4 Elite Guardmage (WAR) 195
3 Basilica Bell-Haunt (RNA) 156
1 God-Eternal Oketra (WAR) 16
1 Lumbering Battlement (RNA) 15
1 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
3 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
3 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
1 Plains (RIX) 192
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
1 Hostage Taker (XLN) 223

Last edited:
That does seem pretty fun! I was one copy short on the deputies so I stuck my one full-size Teferi in just to be an asshole (Although arguably something else would be more appropriate. Seraph of the scales, Sorin, something more built around dudes (Although I'm still Sorin-less. Probably going to craft some just because I really fucking want him for aristocrats)), and I'm not too sure on the Clear the Mind so I'd learn toward putting a baby Teferi in (Both useful for bouncing your opponent's shit and potentially bouncing your own enter-the-battlefield dudes, and his always annoying passive) instead. My lands are also a bit shittier but not massively. Definitely fun the bit I've played with it though.

Haven't really been building any decks lately, still been playing little MTG. Grinding just a few games of RDW in ranked for the most part (And even then I still haven't hauled myself out of platinum since I do the 250 and 100s and then quit) and sometimes flip to casual to play that Simic Nissa/bioessence hydra deck. Had a really silly game of that earlier, got matched against someone playing merfolk but the healing from the wildgrowth walker I had kept me alive, then eventually clobbered him with krasis and a 22/22 bioessence hydra. He actually could've won that game had he played his "Tap all your opponent's creatures" merfolk on a turn it would've given him lethal, OR if he'd been more aggressive in killing my walkers. The fact that he was so fixated on my face meant that I had nearly infinite mana with Nissa and meant my hydra was ridiculous once it was played. He did grudgingly split off to kill Vivien before she could ult but for some reason he wanted to race me when I still had large amounts of potential healing with that wildgrowth on the board.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
That does seem pretty fun! I was one copy short on the deputies so I stuck my one full-size Teferi in just to be an asshole (Although arguably something else would be more appropriate. Seraph of the scales, Sorin, something more built around dudes (Although I'm still Sorin-less. Probably going to craft some just because I really fucking want him for aristocrats)), and I'm not too sure on the Clear the Mind so I'd learn toward putting a baby Teferi in (Both useful for bouncing your opponent's shit and potentially bouncing your own enter-the-battlefield dudes, and his always annoying passive) instead. My lands are also a bit shittier but not massively. Definitely fun the bit I've played with it though.

Haven't really been building any decks lately, still been playing little MTG. Grinding just a few games of RDW in ranked for the most part (And even then I still haven't hauled myself out of platinum since I do the 250 and 100s and then quit) and sometimes flip to casual to play that Simic Nissa/bioessence hydra deck. Had a really silly game of that earlier, got matched against someone playing merfolk but the healing from the wildgrowth walker I had kept me alive, then eventually clobbered him with krasis and a 22/22 bioessence hydra. He actually could've won that game had he played his "Tap all your opponent's creatures" merfolk on a turn it would've given him lethal, OR if he'd been more aggressive in killing my walkers. The fact that he was so fixated on my face meant that I had nearly infinite mana with Nissa and meant my hydra was ridiculous once it was played. He did grudgingly split off to kill Vivien before she could ult but for some reason he wanted to race me when I still had large amounts of potential healing with that wildgrowth on the board.

so, this deck doesn't do so well against control. Unless you really drag it out, make him use his counters and removals and then... clear the mind, let's start again but this time without all those fucking counterspells

also, i upped to 2x hostage takers (-1 chupacabra) because they work well against control, you "steal" your own creatures and so if he does mass removal you have one dork coming into play. And if he does targeted removal and you have a blinker card, hey, card advantage!

however i understand of course removing the clear the mind, i just really hate counter-bounce control types so i try to have something against them if i can

so, this deck doesn't do so well against control. Unless you really drag it out, make him use his counters and removals and then... clear the mind, let's start again but this time without all those fucking counterspells

also, i upped to 2x hostage takers (-1 chupacabra) because they work well against control, you "steal" your own creatures and so if he does mass removal you have one dork coming into play. And if he does targeted removal and you have a blinker card, hey, card advantage!

however i understand of course removing the clear the mind, i just really hate counter-bounce control types so i try to have something against them if i can
Thanks for the explanation on Clear the Mind! Control really does slap it down pretty hard. Time twist shenanigans were the only thing slightly keeping me afloat in those matches. I also understand scrapping a chupa for a hostage taker, hostage taker gets a fuckton of work done in that deck. Blinked one last night against a dude to steal 3-4 of his cards.

Also let the record show that the official Cow stance on the event format is "Fuck momir". Momir's dumb and memey enough as it is, but then putting it with a deck with WAR planeswalkers it basically boils down to who draws baby Teferi and/or Liliana and/or Ugin first, barring a streak of good creature luck. Still going to grind it just to get the stained glass art since I actually kinda dig it but holy hell.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Also let the record show that the official Cow stance on the event format is "Fuck momir". Momir's dumb and memey enough as it is, but then putting it with a deck with WAR planeswalkers it basically boils down to who draws baby Teferi and/or Liliana and/or Ugin first, barring a streak of good creature luck. Still going to grind it just to get the stained glass art since I actually kinda dig it but holy hell.

mormir is fucking awful

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
momir is absolute shit

edit
however, if you want to play, you have to start playing at turn 3 if you're on the play, and turn 2 if you're on the draw, then get to9 lands and play that 9cc dinosaur, that's basically the only way yo win, that or get super lucky

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
however, if you want to play, you have to start playing at turn 3 if you're on the play, and turn 2 if you're on the draw, then get to9 lands and play that 9cc dinosaur, that's basically the only way yo win, that or get super lucky

Yeah, the 9cmc dino does a good job at clearing the small crap from the field. 10 cmc consistently gives 12/12 indestructible wurms which would be great if they had trample.
I really hate this POS format, but it's cool that they've made it a no-lose event. So far, the best way I could come up with to close the game was drop a bunch of shit then try and luck out a Raze Forerunners at 8 cmc which should close the game there and then.

BTW: OverTheMoon gives stained glass Arlinn Voice of the Pack if anyone wants that.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
Wtf is this shit?

44PIUef.jpg

No liliana or ashiok, they take the dumbest looking arts? Also why stamp MAGIC THE GATHERING ARENA on the bottom 1/4th of the card? Pretty sure it's fucking obvious what game I'm playing when opponent drops hallowed fountain turn 1

Magic trying to be Yugioh.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
holy fuck what a pile of shit event

did they remove the 9cc dinosaur? i'm only getting the golgari fat guy that puts lands into play from the graveyard

Whew, got my Jace art. Now to never play that shit ever again. Not particularly looking forward to the "Proliferate every turn" event either, probably going to go deaf with all the explore "Ba-WOOOOOOOOOOOOO" horns. Shame I haven't got 4 copies of Ritual of Soot to mainboard for it to try being a miserable control bastard, but even then it might be rough since odds are playing golgari or sultai would be the best in that format just to make sure you can pull your exploreshit back from the graveyard too.

On the bright side, pauper starts on the 31st (Petitioners banned which is sorta dumb since you can build pauper decks that deal with them, but whatever), then singleton June 7th, then proliferate (Which also gets amass 1 if you have no creatures with counters) June 14th, then June 21st for GRN/RNA/WAR only cards. Bit strange only the first event you're provided with a deck and everything else you build one, but hey.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
do i get something after the 15th win? because if i don't, i want to forget this shit even ever happened

Jason Liang

Arcane
On 7 wins in Momir, it's not so bad.

I've drawn Liliana 6/8 tries

Also Momir'd into Captivating Crew and Haunt of High Tower, those were fun

Replaced big Teferi with Sorin in Scruffy's bounce deck (Which was originally replacing my missing third deputy of detention) and he's performing well. Often will end up being a suicide -4 to pull something back, but given that a lot of those "Oh god I need to immediately -4" situations are grim it's usually worth it to immediately slam down another chupa/hostage/etc. And of course if he sticks then he's just a gigantic pain in the ass since so many of your creatures have ETB. Deck's definitely fun to play, beat up someone playing simic-thief earlier today by manhandling his Kefnet while getting beats in and even survived a mono red burn deck by bouncing an elite guardmage a million fucking times until I could play Sorin for that lifelink. Fun shit.

spectre

Arcane
I'd settle for one - Psychic Corrosion or Drowned Secrets. Secrets is better when you overload on cheap shit like Opt, though I've only ever seen it work in a self-mill deck. Corrosion is much more reliable for milling, because it just works, even if you draw shit, you still want some actual draw to make it happen faster.
It's obviously bonkers with stuff like Heartwarming Redemption (I'm warming up to building this deck at some point in my life, though there's an obnoxious number of Narsets being played currently), but since it's white, we will be looking elsewhere.
Chemister's Insight is the obvious thing to use, though you may also try Notion Rain. Azor's Gateway is a cheap draw effect every turn that goes around Nasrats and lets you eventually ramp into something big.

Not sure if Liliana's Triumph Underwear is worth it without an actual planeswalker. I like edict effects as much as the next guy, but I'd just settle for Cast Downs / Moment's of Craving and let Dispersal do the work when you want to off something hexproof.

Another problem is the Thief of Sanity + Siren Stormtamer combo. It's cool if you're playing aggro flyer midrange, but not as cool when you have Cries from the Carnarium and Ritual of Soot. If you want to reliably run thieves, I'd up the discard, and if you up the discard, Davriel Shadowmage becomes an attractive proposition... but this is not a discard deck. So, if you want to stay on the mill/control side, I'd swap stormtamers for counterspells. Thought Collapses, Negates, take your pick. A 1-2x Memorial to folly also helps to keep the thieves up.

Jason Liang

Arcane
muh pauper; I'm not too proud to play the obvious decktype, and besides I've always been a big fan of both Bladebrand and Blade Juggler
4 Ill-Gotten Inheritance (RNA) 77
4 Blade Juggler (RNA) 63
4 Burglar Rat (GRN) 64
4 Dusk Legion Zealot (RIX) 70
4 Stronghold Confessor (DAR) 105
2 Grasping Scoundrel (RIX) 74
3 Hired Poisoner (GRN) 72
1 Divest (DAR) 87
1 Duress (M19) 94
2 Dead Revels (RNA) 71
4 Ob Nixilis's Cruelty (WAR) 101
2 Costly Plunder (XLN) 96
3 Bladebrand (RNA) 64
4 Fungal Infection (DAR) 94
18 Swamp (RIX) 194

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom