Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

curry

Arcane
I can't wait to see the fear in the orc's eye as I blast him with a fireball.

^For the youngsters among you, this is a reference to something an Atari executive producer said waaaaay back in 2004, when they were talking about making another Baldur's Gate 3 after the cancellation of Black Isle's The Black Hound. The project never went anywhere and has been forgotten, but the expression lives on as an underrated Codex meme.

thanks for codexplaining

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't wait to see the fear in the orc's eye as I blast him with a fireball.

^For the youngsters among you, this is a reference to something an Atari executive producer said waaaaay back in 2004, when they were talking about making another Baldur's Gate 3 after the cancellation of Black Isle's The Black Hound. The project never went anywhere and has been forgotten, but the expression lives on as an underrated Codex meme.
What are you, a nanny?

Quit explaining jokes ffs.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Interesting that Bloodlines 2 hasn't gotten the same sort of complaints.
We are waiting for a new WoD cRPG for decades that uses the same principles of Deus Ex vampire edition that Bloodlines did, while fantasy isometric party hack and slash games that are all copies of BG 2, we had quite a few, that is why BG 3 sounds so superfluous. I'm far more excited for the next Pathfinder cRPG from the ruskies, and at this point, even PoE 2 will probably be better than whatever Larian come up with. The only way those belgians can even get a glimpse of my attention is a straightforward copy of the pnp without bullshit, nope, Dragon Age belgian Edition in case of RtwP or a reskin of DOS 2 in case of TB won't cut it.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
From briefly looking over the Faerun geography it seems to me that Cormyr would be the best place to set the new game in. Its diverse by itself, yet not too advanced and has several other interesting areas and greater factions in the vicinity. Although of course its not a problem to travel anywhere in such a setting.

It would be a shame if they go for the high level campaign, but they do have a tendency to do it and fail at that kind of "epic" content.
The very idea neuters the most satisfying RPG gameplay, advancing from a low pedestrian to a more or less powerful figure. But it also ruins the mechanics and the feel of the game, since once everything is super spectacular epic, it all becomes boring chaotic splurge of overblown visual effects which dont have much of an impact since everyone are high level at that level. So enemies or Player characters shrug off meteor strikes and fireballs or lightning storms have less impact then a magic missile. Unfortunately that doesnt mean anything to moronic masses.

Bhaalspawn saga is a sort of connecting thread between the games and although i would prefer something else, it can be done so you are recruited - forced - blackmailed, play for the new God the player became in the previous game.
Helping against the return of Bhaal which is a thing in the setting now, i guess. So, a low level start and a new kind of a plot, yet connected.

DoS would be a good engine for it, especially if its TB, but it needs serious toning down across the board in other features. Although Forgotten realms lives on epic content and ideas, those are best when fed to the player slowly.
Starting from a relatively low level would benefit that whole setting and the eventual gameplay. Doesnt have to be lvl 1 but an adventuring party on its very start would be a good starting point.
PC suddenly gets into trouble through no fault of his own, gathers a few allies to survive and is off on adventure beyond his ken.

As for the specific mechanics, who the hell knows.
Maybe Swen learned something from DoS2 as he seemingly admitted that armor mechanic was a mistake/failure. (If only there was someone to tell them so during production,...)
But i doubt it.

Sacibengala

Prophet
As the wotc likes to connect everything media nowadays and there is the new adventure book pratically begging as reference to the old games, with the logo of the game used as alternative to the front of the book, it is not expected to the content of the adventure be the same or interconnected with the plot and locations of the new game?

Fairfax

Arcane
Interesting that Bloodlines 2 hasn't gotten the same sort of complaints. It's an identical situation. Perhaps there's less of an expectation of direct narrative continuity in that sort of story and setting.
Additionally, VTMB sold poorly and isn't particularly influential. Reusing the title is still a head start, but it's not really a 'sequel' one would do purely for money. This 'BG3' is unlikely to be even remotely similar to the originals, it's pure ambition.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
As the wotc likes to connect everything media nowadays and there is the new adventure book pratically begging as reference to the old games, with the logo of the game used as alternative to the front of the book, it is not expected to the content of the adventure be the same or interconnected with the plot and locations of the new game?
Locations not so much since second game didnt play in the Baldurs gate. The term signifies the games more than a specific city, which wasnt that interesting in the first game anyway, although marketing will go retardo and push for it no doubt.

Thalion

Novice
This will be a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate games at best, but I don't really care about that. The Bhaalspawn storyline isn't what made those games good anyway. This is first and foremost a new DnD isometric RPG made by a competent studio, something we have not had in a long time. That alone is a reason to be excited.

Stinger

Arcane
If all they're going to make is a D&D game in Forgotten Realms surely Neverwinter Nights 3 would be the better title. Baldur's Gate was about the Bhaalspawn, who's got a fairly definitive ending...seems a bit pointless to make a BG3 that isn't a continuation of that story.

Delterius

Arcane
If all they're going to make is a D&D game in Forgotten Realms surely Neverwinter Nights 3 would be the better title. Baldur's Gate was about the Bhaalspawn, who's got a fairly definitive ending...seems a bit pointless to make a BG3 that isn't a continuation of that story.
Not only there's already a Neverwinter mmo but there's been the Hervé console Baldur's Gates :3

SniperHF

Arcane
Maybe if they put a bunch more dumb romance shit in this they'll stop inserting that crap in Divinity games (feel free to rate this fabulously optimistic cause yeah)

Turn based would obviously be incline. Particularly BG2, being known for its encounters and Larian well not being so, I'm not sure they can pull that off.

I'd bet we're getting a party of 4 here though like D:OS games. Their engine supports more then that but 4 is unfortunately the "standard" and has been for a while now.

DOS has modules? I thought people said it was kinda hard so mostly either cheats or model mods.

:happytrollboy:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Party of five would be a good balance.
But romances are one of the more popular features these days and they were a good chunk of content in BG2. Best to hope for a decent <skip> function. Although there is a way to do them in a way that would be meaningful and yet not imposing or constricting - based around not assigning any gameplay content to them.

Will be interesting to see what kind of rules they will have to adapt to, or use.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
Larian's writing, quest and combat design skills might be a good fit for Baldur's Gate in those respective aspects but I wouldn't trust them with the art direction or world building yet.

Also who's talking about Turn Based combat? RTWP is a hallmark of the infinity engine games, if you didn't like it you didn't like Baldur's Gate.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Turn based would obviously be incline. Particularly BG2, being known for its encounters and Larian well not being so, I'm not sure they can pull that off.
DOS 1 & 2 games on hardest difficulty had encounters comparable to BG 1 & 2 with SCS on the hardest difficulty.
I'd say both games even went a few steps further with encounters that were almost impossible without cheese (such as setting up traps with barrels prior to the encounter, blocking paths with paintings, etc.).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom