Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ATOM RPG gets massive Dead City content update, standalone expansion coming later this year

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: ATOM RPG; ATOM Team

The indie Soviet Fallout homage ATOM RPG was released a bit over five months ago and to our complete surprise turned out to be one of 2018's best RPGs. The game's development was somewhat rushed towards the end however, which showed up in certain areas that were a bit desolate for their size. One such area was the Dead City, which the ATOM Team promised they would improve in a post-launch update. That promise was fulfilled in yesterday in the form of the Dead City Update, which not only overhauls the city but also adds a ton of additional new features to the game. It's such a big deal they even put together a fancy trailer for it, which I'll post here along with an excerpt from the release announcement:

Dear friends!

Finally the moment has come, when our game ATOM RPG is completely finished. In this update we balanced out melee weapons, added to the enemy AI, finalized all of the quests that were left unsolved in the previous update. The main thing, however, is the change of Dead City into a place full of new, unique characters with their own stories and quests. The map is now filled with points of interest and new locations. To see the list of all changes, scroll to the end of this post now.

We would like to use this post mostly to thank you all for the motivation, unique ideas, kind words of praise and endless support. We told this to you multiple times now, yet these words never lost their sincerity and meaning for us: without you, there would be no game, especially of this magnitude. You, our dear players, are the ones who shaped it starting with Kickstarter and the Early Access versions.

This final version of the game is truly your achievement, as much as it is ours.

And the work doesn’t stop here. Our next project will be a stand-alone add-on to the game, code-named Trudograd. It will hopefully hit Steam later this year. Until that time, we will share news of porting Atom to other platforms, translating it to other languages, and of course the development process of the new add-on.

Thank you for being with us, and we really hope that you will continue this journey we got planned out.

Let there be ATOM!

Awesome news. And yes, there's a standalone expansion coming later this year too. It's great to see that things are working out for these guys. They certainly deserve it.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Very nice, looking forward to actually playing my copy now. Congrats to the team.

I played it a few months ago over the big localization update and found it to be quite enjoyable. Definitely a great value for the price.

Terra

Cipher
I only played a bit of it (good stuff so far) but decided to hold off due to these constant additions. Looking forward to getting stuck in properly if this actually proves to be the finished product.

Mark Richard

Arcane
There's a bunch of folks who've been sitting back waiting for those free content updates to stop rolling in before taking the plunge. Now is the time. Updates for the base game are strictly patches from here on in. Keep your saves handy for the standalone add-on too.

Trudograd will most probably be like... another game that's installed on your computer like a game, but you can feed your Atom RPG save to it and it will change stuff in itself according to your choices or just start a new game. Baldur's Gate 2 comes to mind a lot. Including the part where you started on LVL 7 or 8 not LVL 1!

Diggfinger

Arcane
Awesome guys, great work.

I'm being stalked by the book-burners, triggered that quest too early and now they kick my ass :oops::(
(EDIT: If you could patch them out it would be helpful, thanks:hahano:)

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Loving it all over again, smooth combat, super fast loading times and general performance, zero bugs.

Only two things i would tweak, more zoom out while exploring both the location and world maps, and a faster walking speed in the world map.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

I'm being stalked by the book-burners, triggered that quest too early and now they kick my ass :oops::(
Can't you like leave the books somewhere and then return for them when you are leveled up?

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Oh dang! And here I was logging in to beg for a news feature... Just to see that it was already posted unprompted! Thank you so much, Infinitron! You read my mind with this one. Really happy to see this milestone got it's own news mention.
You folks were with us all the way from the boost in Kickstarter clicks Pope Amole's vid gave us, to the sweet chat we had with Matt Barton on his awesome Matt Chat show numbered 414 and Shane Plays an awesome guy who introduced us to Matt in the first place, and everything in between, and even before that, when I was lurking in Cleve's thread and got inspired to make an Ultima I clone and failed, but then remembered a much older dream to make a Fallout which we all shared and then it grew kinda bigger than a clone and then we fixed the bugs and here we are! Yeee

Very nice, looking forward to actually playing my copy now. Congrats to the team.

Thanks! We're almost done with obligatory post-release crippling new bug fixing. It's gonna run as smooth as a kitty cat and there will be tons to do!

I played it a few months ago over the big localization update and found it to be quite enjoyable. Definitely a great value for the price.
Thanks! It will even be worth another play, when the add-on hits. Or, if you have an old save, the Dead City is muuuch larger now.

I only played a bit of it (good stuff so far) but decided to hold off due to these constant additions. Looking forward to getting stuck in properly if this actually proves to be the finished product.
You can bet on that! The only things we'll add from now on will be fixes for those pesky bugs!

There's a bunch of folks who've been sitting back waiting for those free content updates to stop rolling in before taking the plunge. Now is the time. Updates for the base game are strictly patches from here on in. Keep your saves handy for the standalone add-on too.

Trudograd will most probably be like... another game that's installed on your computer like a game, but you can feed your Atom RPG save to it and it will change stuff in itself according to your choices or just start a new game. Baldur's Gate 2 comes to mind a lot. Including the part where you started on LVL 7 or 8 not LVL 1!
Couldn't say it better myself!

Thank you dude! Aren't these guys naked and wielding only knives? Blow them up! Leaving the books the dude gave you in NOT a trash can (lockers do just fine) will most probably make them ignore you too! Unless we fixed that.
Loving it all over again, smooth combat, super fast loading times and general performance, zero bugs.

Only two things i would tweak, more zoom out while exploring both the location and world maps, and a faster walking speed in the world map.
Thanks, man! I think there's a mod for both the things you'd want to change. It's pretty easy if you're with Steam. We kept the walk slow to justify all the horrendous shit your character has to go through to get the car :D

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Thanks, man! I think there's a mod for both the things you'd want to change. It's pretty easy if you're with Steam. We kept the walk slow to justify all the horrendous shit your character has to go through to get the car :D

I subscribed to the extra inventory carry weight mod on steam, worth it for those builds with lower STR, but most of the other mods are in russian (name and description), so im lost in trying to figure out which ones change the zoom level and walking speed.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sunk another couple of hours onto game and its even better when playing the 1.01 before lot of small additions like locked doors to bandits main arsenal/loot stash or backpack adding some protection not to mention all those :obviously: Russian weapons like mosinka and sashka added. Simply amazed how game made in the few comrades kruschovkas can be so much better Wasteland/Fallout spiritual legacy than big budget and hyped Wasteland 2 was. It doesn't even looks and run like typical unity pos game, Congratulations for entire teams Comrades. :salute:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer

I subscribed to the extra inventory carry weight mod on steam, worth it for those builds with lower STR, but most of the other mods are in russian (name and description), so im lost in trying to figure out which ones change the zoom level and walking speed.
I'm a bit of a monkey with all that fancy tech so I don't even know how to like... see the list of all mods, but when the guys are done patching, we'll spend a day or two giving translations to the mods we'll find useful!

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Curious Atomboy how are sales for the game going? Hope you'll be as forthcoming on this as Vault Dweller. I just picked this up yesterday off of GOG after reading about the update. Starting a play through today. Rare indeed for the Codex to praise a game (#44 already on our Top 100 list... impressive). I'll let you know if the Codex is right or not. :smug:

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Simply amazed how game made in the few comrades kruschovkas can be so much better Wasteland/Fallout spiritual legacy than big budget and hyped Wasteland 2 was. It doesn't even looks and run like typical unity pos game, Congratulations for entire teams Comrades. :salute:
To me it always seemed like the Russians had a better grasp of proper post-apo settings.

Drowed

Arcane
Every time I thought "yeah this is a good time to start playing ATOM," I read some news that something new would be added in the next patch. So, every time, I'd postpone. Now I think it's okay to say that this is the full/final/definitive/total/absolute version, right? I bought the game since the release, but I have something that prevents me from playing a game if I know that more content will be released for it later.

It's like Underrail. I played it up to just over half and then came the announcement of Expedition. Now I can't play it anymore and I need to wait until the expansion comes out so that I can create a new character.

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Damn son. Nice work.

Honestly ATOM is some of the most fun I’ve had with a game in many, many years. I always wondered why “professional” game devs kept trying to fix what wasn’t broken instead of giving people more of what they wanted.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Curious Atomboy how are sales for the game going? Hope you'll be as forthcoming on this as Vault Dweller. I just picked this up yesterday off of GOG after reading about the update. Starting a play through today. Rare indeed for the Codex to praise a game (#44 already on our Top 100 list... impressive). I'll let you know if the Codex is right or not. :smug:
I sure hope you and the codex will reach an agreement! As for the moneys, the sales went surprisingly well on Steam. GOG is another story completely, but I'm still happy we released there because I like to be a part of the DRM free trust based movement. We're not millionaires though. It's like this: we pay licenses, buy assets, hire outsourcers for minor things we don't have time for like making mustaches more fluffy or things we cannot do, like making English dialogue less Borat-y. Also we pay the % Steam and Gog ask and taxes which are pretty crazy. The rest is in a pile from which each of us takes an equal amount each month. Currently this pile will last us around 5 to 6 months. What's the amount each of us takes from it monthly? Well, some of the guys don't want me to disclose numbers, and since we're ruled by complete and utter equality, disclosing my share would be akin to disclosing everyone's share, so I'll walk around the issue by saying I'd be a rich ass war lord in Somalia, and a borderline homeless person in USA. In Latvia I'm pretty comfortable since most things are cheap. By Latvian standards I'm living like a middle class dude who has spare change to go to the movies or buy a gerbil after all the bills are paid and all food is bought. When I was quitting my salesman job I was expecting to get the equivalent of minimum wage out of ATOM. So I'm really happy I can live my dream and not eat ramen all month, only the last 2-3 days before the salary. I've been a really rich guy and a really poor hoboesque guy in my life. Now I'm a moderate middle of the road guy. Normal Man they call me. And it's nice!

Simply amazed how game made in the few comrades kruschovkas can be so much better Wasteland/Fallout spiritual legacy than big budget and hyped Wasteland 2 was. It doesn't even looks and run like typical unity pos game, Congratulations for entire teams Comrades. :salute:
To me it always seemed like the Russians had a better grasp of proper post-apo settings.
Spent most of my childhood playing on a human graveyard part of which was turned into a rusty old industrial tech and old bus graveyard because the original tech graveyard overflowed... Rusty Ikarus busses with trees growing through them and broken headstones piled under their flat tires! Yeah. I know post-apoc alright!

Sunk another couple of hours onto game and its even better when playing the 1.01 before lot of small additions like locked doors to bandits main arsenal/loot stash or backpack adding some protection not to mention all those :obviously: Russian weapons like mosinka and sashka added. Simply amazed how game made in the few comrades kruschovkas can be so much better Wasteland/Fallout spiritual legacy than big budget and hyped Wasteland 2 was. It doesn't even looks and run like typical unity pos game, Congratulations for entire teams Comrades. :salute:
Thanks, Commissar! Really brings me joy to read this :D You're too kind, comrade!

Any difficulty mod worth mentioning?
You mean more difficulty or less difficulty? Never heard of any of these, but curious which one would you like more?

Every time I thought "yeah this is a good time to start playing ATOM," I read some news that something new would be added in the next patch. So, every time, I'd postpone. Now I think it's okay to say that this is the full/final/definitive/total/absolute version, right? I bought the game since the release, but I have something that prevents me from playing a game if I know that more content will be released for it later.

It's like Underrail. I payed it up to just over half and then came the announcement of Expedition. Now I can't play it anymore and I need to wait until the expansion comes out so that I can create a new character.
I get you, friend. Same thing with me and Minecraft. Haha just kidding. Or am I. No, but yeah, this is totally understandable, that's why everything we made since the release was made not to interfere with saves and just appear in the world of older saves. Still, I get the urge to not start before everything is added. It's safe now. Only bug fix patches from now on.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Damn son. Nice work.

Honestly ATOM is some of the most fun I’ve had with a game in many, many years. I always wondered why “professional” game devs kept trying to fix what wasn’t broken instead of giving people more of what they wanted.
Thank you!!!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Atomboy explain how the expansion works.

By stand alone is it like throne of bhaal/mask of the betrayer instead of something like the white march (taking place after main campaign instead of accessing it during campaign)

i prefer the earlier, because if it is th latter, i will just wait for trugodrad to replay the game for the "final" definite version of the game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In Latvia I'm pretty comfortable since most things are cheap. By Latvian standards I'm living like a middle class dude who has spare change to go to the movies or buy a gerbil after all the bills are paid and all food is bought.
Are all the Latvian jokes true then?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Atomboy explain how the expansion works.

By stand alone is it like throne of bhaal/mask of the betrayer instead of something like the white march (taking place after main campaign instead of accessing it during campaign)

i prefer the earlier, because if it is th latter, i will just wait for trugodrad to replay the game for the "final" definite version of the game.

I think it's going to be an entirely separate game on Steam, no?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom