Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

RickOmbo

Learned
If that was true shouldn't Kingmaker have waaay more fan art?
POE2 famously has got extremely low sales, not Kingmaker.

So your galaxy brain take is games that have seriously low sales get way bigger fandoms than games that sell well?

The discussion was about fan-art. As I said before, those artists want to give the underperforming game more attention.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Deadfire and Kingmaker by all appearances have been about equally commercially successful. Many Codexers have somehow jumped from "Wow, this game turned out to be better than Obsidian's game!" to "Wow, this game sold way more than Obsidian's game!". There is no evidence of this.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Not that you're wrong, but I don't think I like this classification.
100% honest, forgot about you. You know your stuff and are open about enjoying PoE2 so it seems that Josh did not die in vain after all. There's also Infinitron, but not sure if he counts as someone who doesn't play computer games.

Last edited:
The Real Fanboy

So your galaxy brain take is games that have seriously low sales get way bigger fandoms than games that sell well?

The discussion was about fan-art. As I said before, those artists want to give the underperforming game more attention.
If your game doesn't get regular fan art does it even have a fandom tho
giphy.gif

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I don't see what makes "Internet artists" relevant in any way, but a much more likely explanation is that stuff like gay human fish, black human bird or furry gay midget that sinks attracts "Internet artists" just like shit attracts flies. Pathfinder just doesn't compare.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Deadfire and Kingmaker by all appearances have been about equally commercially successful. Many Codexers have somehow jumped from "Wow, this game turned out to be better than Obsidian's game!" to "Wow, this game sold way more than Obsidian's game!". There is no evidence of this.

P:K has almost twice more reviews 6,542 vs 3,447 on Steam but was around for 0.5 of the time, with EE just around the corner.
It looks like drastic difference in financial success with almost identical (in my region) price.

Steam review, of course, not an all-encompassing statistic with any stretch but enough data for me to roughly extrapolate that Deadfire sold twice less units then P:K.
Or maybe its fans are just really quiet in their fun.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Negative attention is more attractive for people then no attention at all. Some codexians make a fine example of this every day.

Delterius

Arcane

did someone say fanart

c4088d8bf3909350e293c55134149e0b.jpg

The Real Fanboy
I don't see what makes "Internet artists" relevant in any way, but a much more likely explanation is that stuff like gay human fish, black human bird or furry gay midget that sinks attracts "Internet artists" just like shit attracts flies. Pathfinder just doesn't compare.

HEW0g3V.jpg

If Kingmaker is woke enough to provoke reactions like this it's woke enough to attract internet artists, sis
ERhyIHx.png

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I must have my lewd research material or else how i am supposed to have the maximum fan experience? :desu:

RaptorRex888

Learned
Wow, this game continues to surprise me with it's technical ineptitude.

So at Fort Deadlight there is this one area in front the Forge that will freeze your video if you move your characters there or even hover over it with the map BUT the game continues to play normally. There is still sound and you can move around and even transition areas if you know where to click but the game remains frozen until you end the program. Thing is, this only happens after a certain point progressing in Blow the Man Down quest, I cannot pinpoint exactly where it occurs but in any of my saves where I first reached there was no freezing occurring and forever after this quest my game freezes at that area. FPS also tanks and will not go back to normal until you leave the area and reset the game.

I looked online and there were a few other people with the same issue that even experienced BSOD.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

mega. Mega! MEGA DUNGEON!!!

Orange is back today okay? Okay! So last night I was able to get to finish the mega dungeon downloading content The Forgotten Sanctum and omg!! this dungeon is massive with all kinds of interconnected levels and strange things going on with tentacles and magic with a story wrapped around history and of the God Wael with some fungi thrown in to really give this place a creepy dust-filled feeling with bookworms and dust mites and faceless librarians :o There will be some pictures too so spoiley aleart okay? Okay!

Tayn was my favorite idk why he was not made a joinable npc because he was so funny I got lots of laughs from him oh and from also having Concelhaut's Skull again because I forgot to finish off a quest I was one before finding the Santcumn so I went back there to finish off the quest and ended up getting Concelhaut following me around in the party just like from the first Pillars so it was a nice reunion of sorts and he cracks all kinds of funny jokes about food the party is carrying around like rotting eggs or drinks so he and Tayn brought some smiles in an otherwise gloomy place.

Gosh though the dungeon itself as you are tasked to search for Maura who is lurking about finding a way to get the body of Wael i nto and fight Eothas and there are lots of places to explore, books to find and sneaking so it was nice to have Serafen because I made him really good at hiding and moving quietly so he did a lot of the early leg work scouting and pulling off books from shelves while Ishiza pecked at other books to distract the librarians it was funny to watch :lol: Oh and it is not all exploring and puzzles right? It is combat too and there are three challenging fights they are in the screens and it was a nice pace from some of the easier fights. Half the time I did not know how I got to some place or I would find some quest item and not know what it was for or found some puzzle to do but had not found the area where the puzzle piece was yet so just a large and fun dungeon spending the entire gaming sessions I could sit down and play inside the mega dungeon! Gosh I saw moonlight ONCE down there for a quest and lost all track of time. Orange was happy to finally get out of there all the dust was making her sneeze a lot. :cool:

- Here is Serafen starting to scout the restricted section

BYlTT64.jpg

- omg this battle was soooo annoying okay? Dealing with energy blasts and combat while the energy blasts keep moving about. Took me 3 tries :|

rXEJlCo.jpg

- gosh this area was so creepy yet so pretty at the same time it is truly an archive of information

X9cMvqI.jpg

- gosh. Gosh! GOSH! It just keeps getting creepier!!

UcGw7qV.jpg

- Concelhaut just being Concelhaut!! :hug:

38UCTvU.jpg

- omg!! Total Stranger Thing's vibe I got and it is a nice surprise in combat :eek:

v7d1Hjy.jpg

- idk here I found it sneaking and had an option to give it some warden paper agreement and they all were friendly to me after that. Orange gladly accepted :hug:

vHb02ZY.jpg

- okay! OKAY!!! Another creepy battle with jello-eyed man was n ot as hard as the energy bolt battle but just creeeeepy yucky! :P

LSrW8Wu.jpg

- and then there was this giant eyeball with spell rays and summoning creatures and being stuck in goo and icky stuff. Barely made it through the first time :salute:

6RXIGhh.jpg

- Giving Concelhaut a hug and wave offering him a new body and he better remember this nice gesture for next time! :hug:

XdJMt4h.jpg

EjpiiX5.jpg

Gosh this game has so much content and new places to explore and people to meet what a gem! Nearing the end though but still there is one other downloading content to visit and I got Orange, the party, and her boat Sherry, to Harbinger's Watch!

CJZix4R.jpg

Thanks,
Sherry

Andhaira

Arcane
Ok guys, this has probbly been asked but the thread is too fucking huge to make sense of:

How is the turnbased option? Is it worth buying the game for? And can you switch between the 2 on the fly like in Arcanum?

2house2fly

Magister
I don't think it's controversial to say Pathfinder Kingmaker was more successful than Deadfire. Even if it didn't sell much more, it had a lower budget so return on investment is probably significantly higher.

I don't follow why they would want to do that? Wouldn't they want to get themselves more attention by making fanart of the better-selling game?

Stinger

Arcane
Ok guys, this has probbly been asked but the thread is too fucking huge to make sense of:

How is the turnbased option? Is it worth buying the game for? And can you switch between the 2 on the fly like in Arcanum?

I'd say yes. You can't switch on the fly like Arcanum as stats have different functions between TB and RTWP.

But having finished the game and the dlcs I'd say TB is definitely worth it. I was weary of the game feeling slow but after ramping up the game speed to fast the turns happen pretty quickly whilst still being quite clear in what is going on. I never really felt like the game dragged all that much. I don't know if I'd call the dlcs worth it if you're on the fence about the game as a whole but the main campaign was entertaining enough and TB mode was incredibly fun - less prone to stat bloat and requiring constant cheesing/degenerative gameplay compared to DOS2 and far less of a clusterfuck of the RTWP of Kingmaker with far fewer trash mobs.

The main things going against it is the bland writing of the companions other than Eder (I genuinely didn't like anyone other than Eder and Aloth as a distant second) and the general overbearing nature of the Gods constantly showing up and acting holier than thou without much chance to really call them out. The overall Eothas storyline is a bit too on the rails with the Watcher playing far too passive a role in it but honestly I thought the factions interplay and the role you can play in it was the main focus of the story and was far more interesting anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom