Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Great FPS's

RaptorRex888

Learned
Anyone played The Resistance trilogy? Is it complete decline?
The games themselves are quite good but I personally have real trouble playing FPS with a controller (especially dualshocks) so you're enjoyment of them is prefaced on that I'd say.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
116323-vietcong-windows-screenshot-you-ll-constantly-use-radio-communication.jpg

sc63dw.jpg

Vietcong remains one of my all time best FPSes despite its roughness around the edges. Eastern Euro devs deliver games that are fun to play yet are packed with amazing amounts of attention to detail. creeping around the jungle, butthole puckering as you expect to get slotted in an ambush any minute, finding charlie's hidden caches and tunnels... great stuff. Play it on hard or vietcong difficulty.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The last handful of years you've got the Bethesda Wolfenstein and Doom games which are okay. Not great, but the combat is solid and they look nice. Then you've got the Far Cry games if you can put up with Ubisoft's open world checklists. They have solid everything else, for the most part. I'm struggling to think of other good ones lately that aren't retro indies or whatever.

During the "dark times" of Xbox focus and whatnot before that there are very few. FEAR is a great one from early in that era right before things went bad. Crysis is great from around the same time, fuck anyone who says different. Even Crysis 2 is pretty solid, just nowhere near as good as the first one. Can't say the same for the FEAR sequels, they were pretty shit. Raven's Wolfenstein 2009 and Singularity are pretty good. Not amazing but pretty good for that time. Medal of Honor Airborne has a neat gimmick and plays alright.

For pre-Xbox days it's mostly stuff you've surely heard of, your Quakes and Dooms and whatnot. Sin is sometimes overlooked and pretty good. I liked Medal of Honor's first couple PC games a lot, though I haven't played them in a long time.

Doktor Best

Arcane
People here on codex were pretty happy with DUSK (Quake 1 style FPS). Didnt play it yet though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom