Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THQ Nordic acquires Piranha Bytes

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I guess "Gothic trilogy remastered" makes some sense in THQ Nordic's strategy, in that they can release them on consoles.
I thought Gothic 1 had a very gamepad adaptable control method anyway. Hardest would probably be 3 in that sense.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
G3's world is 75% empty -- Varant and Nordmar are clearly unfinished. Myrtana isn't that great, either. The new engine was garbage, especially for melee combat. What content there is plays like a solo MMO. Random loot in chests also blew. It's down there with Risen 2 well below G1, G2, and Risen.

I liked Gothic 3 but the chest loot system is one of the most retarded loot systems ever.

You'd think it's random, but it's not. There are chests with fixed loot, and then there are "random" chests which actually count down from a generic loot list. Let's say there are 100 of these chests in the game. The first chest you open contains the loot listed in slot #1. The second chest you open contains the loot in slot #2. Etc etc until you open the last chest.

The content of these chests doesn't depend on their location or on a random roll, it depends on which order you open them in.

https://gothic.fandom.com/wiki/Gothic_3_Unique_Chests

The loot system for rare items in Gothic 3 isn't based on a random chance. Instead rare items are dispersed in special unique chests that will give a certain item depending on the order they are opened. Each time one of these chests are opened the corresponding item from a static list will be inside.

Well ok I guess I misremember, this is for unique items in chests, the little items like potions and lockpicks are random.
Which is even more retarded.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Everybody seems to be theorizing about Gothic but I really don't think they're going to make anything except ELEX 2 right now.
take guns away and who will tell the difference?
Take guns away by all means. PB games are meant to play as melee, magic and archery was always repetitive and boring (especially in G3) and the guns in Elex aren't much better. Playing Elex as a third-person shooter is far from ideal.

JDR13

Arcane
Gothic 3 has amazing music and Myrtana was actually fun to explore. But it suffers a lot from generic quest design, copypaste and unfinished Varant+Nordmar. I remember when I first played I became a mage and learned homing fireball and was totally immortal and indestructible and so I uninstalled it.
Second time around playing melee I finished it (with "canon" ending) and enjoyed it but yeah it is very flawed and nowhere near G2

Never has anything been more true.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Last few month THQ is pretty scammy to be honest,they did partnered with EPIC and their exclusive garbage. So it puts me on the fence about this deal. Tho they have published a lot of great game like ELEX and SpellForce 3. They are one of the few publishers that put their money behind new or niche IPs. Fuck they are even publishing a new Aquanox game. Still i doubt that it will end up as badly as microsoft and obsidian garbage.

EDIT:Also please no more gothics,every time someone touches one of the good old games,it turns for the worst. Let them make a new IP similar to gothic,not rape the classic one.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I liked Gothic 3 but the chest loot system is one of the most retarded loot systems ever.

You'd think it's random, but it's not. There are chests with fixed loot, and then there are "random" chests which actually count down from a generic loot list. Let's say there are 100 of these chests in the game. The first chest you open contains the loot listed in slot #1. The second chest you open contains the loot in slot #2. Etc etc until you open the last chest.

The content of these chests doesn't depend on their location or on a random roll, it depends on which order you open them in.

https://gothic.fandom.com/wiki/Gothic_3_Unique_Chests

Well ok I guess I misremember, this is for unique items in chests, the little items like potions and lockpicks are random.
Which is even more retarded.
Had forgotten that. And, yep, that's even more horrible a system than random loot because it forces you to hunt down all the other crap on the list if you happen to want something from the latter ones. It's like Ubi-soft mindless trophy grinding.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I don't think it's realistic to expect a new game that's on G1/2, R1 level, but I would D1P all over a proper G1/2 remaster. In fact, just bring the ui and controls to R1 standard and you have my money.

Latelistener

Arcane
Apparently, Piranha Bytes Red is not doing great, so maybe they could get Mike Hoge back for the Gothic reboot.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Oh hey, an acquisition that wasn't by Paradox. Feels like it's been a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom