Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Conan Unconquered - Conan RTS by Petroglyph and Funcom

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
God, it looks as bad as I've expected it to be. Looks like a cheap copy of Age of Mythology that wants to be They are Billions. Also, mandatory burning stone walls, yay. Guess I'll pirate it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
God, it looks as bad as I've expected it to be. Looks like a cheap copy of Age of Mythology that wants to be They are Billions. Also, mandatory burning stone walls, yay. Guess I'll pirate it.
So you will pirate it? I guess you like playing with bad games. Or, you are just being edgy about the game looking bad and actually you like what you see.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So you will pirate it? I guess you like playing with bad games. Or, you are just being edgy about the game looking bad and actually you like what you see.

I'm generally not a fan of what I see, but I want to see how it actually plays. I know it's hard to believe, but I've been wrong in my life before and some first impressions don't last.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-they-are-billions-and-unsurprisingly-its-fun

Conan Unconquered copies They Are Billions and unsurprisingly it's fun

Conan Unconquered is a lot like They Are Billions. It's not just the 'build a base and defend it against increasingly daunting waves of enemies' survival idea: it's the bones of the game, the mechanics. It's in the way your resources work and how you harvest them. It's in the way you lay out your base and build your defences. It's in the way waves of enemies are announced and how they approach. To be blunt, it's a bit of a rip-off.

But then, why not? They Are Billions works brilliantly. The race to establish a base and wall it off before an enormous conga line of enemies smashes into it from all fronts is thrilling. Why not steal a bit of that? Funcom and developer Petroglyph don't seem particularly shy about it. They saw a chance for a quick turnaround - about a year, I'm told - and took it. And you know what? It works. Not quite as well, but it works.

The nuts and bolts, as I mentioned, are the same. You juggle a need to keep everything within your walls with a need to branch out to exploit more food/wood/stone/etc. The enemy waves are weak to begin with, easy to swat away, but by the end you need defences everywhere. Mix in a fire raging through your base, or disease, and you'll begin to panic. How to manage it all? Tick tock, tick tock - another wave approaching.

The big difference in Unconquered is you have a helping hand from the get-go in the shape of a hero, like Conan, or Valeria or Kalanthes - and they're super-powerful. You don't really need anyone else, not for a while, as they can see off early waves alone. Even later, they're pivotally strong. They heal at shrines, respawn if they die, and can unlock special abilities and equip trinkets. And as a result, they dilute the threat. Billions is a far more tense and brutal experience (the enemies being able to infect and turn a base against you also plays a big part in this).

Nevertheless, having someone like Conan on the field obviously satisfies the branding and reinforces the setting, and it's a nice backdrop for a game, all sun-baked and guttural. It even veers into magic the further down the tech tree you go, to the point you can collect souls to summon giant godly avatars to do your stomping. I know the oversized and stylised look isn't to everyone's tastes, but when things get busy it helps keep the action coherent.

The other big difference is the option to play in co-op. You and a chum can team up, each with your own hero, and build and defend a base. I haven't had the chance to try it because there was no one around to try it with, but there's a long gameplay video showing it in action and it looks like fun.

That's the operative word here: fun. Petroglyph knows what it's doing - it's been making real-time strategy games for as long as I can remember - and with a strong template and an iconic licence, it was well away. But it's a safe game. It's not like playing They Are Billions for the first time, or Frostpunk for that matter - the survival city-builder where you fight the cold. It's not fresh and exciting. But on the other hand there's not a lot to object to. Unconquered is solid; it's just, well, fun.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A day earlier: http://pr.funcom.com/pressreleases/...ch-early-system-requirements-released-2878561

Conan Unconquered to launch early, system requirements released

Dark Times: The upcoming RTS Conan Unconquered will feature a previously unannounced day and night cycle.

The Command & Conquer veterans from Petroglyph and publisher Funcom have moved the launch date for Conan Unconquered from May 30th to May 29th.

OSLO, Norway – May 24th, 2019 – The upcoming RTS game created by the Command & Conquer veterans at Petroglyph is now due to release late afternoon on May 29th, one day earlier than previously announced.

“We're eagerly looking forward to launch and to getting Conan Unconquered into the hands of players. The game has really come together and although the skill cap is high, it's tremendously fun to play,” says Lawrence Poe, Chief Product Officer at Conan Unconquered publisher Funcom.

The upcoming RTS has already received positive previews, with several journalists comparing it to the highly successful game They Are Billions. The game has a number of features that set it apart from the other games in the genre, however. Among them the fact that you control a hero, as well as the army you amass. Also, the game’s co-op mode and the newly announced challenge mode, in which players can challenge one another on a unique map with a unique leaderboard, look to be welcome additions to the RTS genre.

The system requirements were also revealed today, and are as follows:

Minumum:
Windows 7, 8 or 10 (64 bit)
8GB of RAM
Core i3 (dual core) @3Ghz+ or equivalent
Intel HD Graphics 620 or DX11 graphics card w/ minimum 1GB dedicated RAM
Storage – 10GB

Recommended:
Windows 7, 8 or 10 (64 bit)
8GB of RAM
Core i5 (quad core) @3Ghz+ or equivalent
Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 or AMD RX580 or better
Storage – 10GB

The game is currently available for pre-order on Steam and via  www.conanunconquered.com.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think it looks dope and as cool of a blend as I thought when I first heard of it. A clear rip off of 'Billions for sure, but hopefully an improvement on the formula. Looks sorta like 'Billions and Spellforce/Majesty put together.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Out now:

With Deluxe Edition that includes King version of Conan as a hero unit.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/989690/announcements/detail/1625149528382065607

TO ARMS! Survival RTS Conan Unconquered is now out!

2dd0d7034ddfb5a057d3653b9586daff4e014dc7.jpg

What do you get if you put Conan the Barbarian into a gaming world inspired by the current wave of survival games, created by veterans of Command & Conquer? The answer: Conan Unconquered, now available on PC.

Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood”. Let their thirst henceforth be quenched, as publisher Funcom and the developers at Petroglyph announce that Conan Unconquered today released on PC. Conan Unconquered is a real-time strategy game that combines resource management, war strategy and pure savagery to create the ultimate RTS experience.

No game we have created has ever challenged the player’s skill to a higher level,” warns Executive Producer Ted Morris at Petroglyph.
Such a warning from the development team with games like Command & Conquer, Dune II and Star Wars: Empire at War on their resumé, should not be taken lightly. However, the gaming veterans promise a silver lining. At least the first few waves you face won’t be all that bad.

Conan Unconquered takes you to the world created by fantasy author Robert E. Howard during the early 1930s, and the subsequent comics and cult classic movies from the 1980s. You are tasked with defending a city against the terrible legions of the cruel sorcerer Thugra Khotan, Conan’s nemesis in the short story Black Colossus (1933).

You must manage your resources wisely, create dwellings and research facilities, and set up fortifications as best you can. You must direct your army to fend off every wave of attack, all the while using your hero to explore, gather resources, find invaluable artifacts and gain experience.

The game can be played solo, in co-op multiplayer or compete against other players in challenge mode. In co-op mode players will share resources and most of the buildings and fortifications, but they will face tougher foes than they would have in a single-player game. The challenge comes in trying to coordinate between one another.

The map and attacking waves are generated at random every time, but in challenge mode you get to challenge your friends to beat you on the exact same map and with the exact same enemies as you just faced. Each challenge even comes with its own leaderboard.

When the savages attack, will you remember who you truly are? Will you remember what you fight for? Will you … remain unconquered?

Will be interesting to see if this, with popular IP, fancier graphics, and cross-promotion with other Funcom games, will sell better than They Are Billions.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
It's current year you should have already downloaded and played through 10 matches by now.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Will be interesting to see if this, with popular IP, fancier graphics, and cross-promotion with other Funcom games, will sell better than They Are Billions.

Early indications: not good. Mixed reviews (negative reviews pointing out bugs, performance, lack of polish, shallow content, no campaign, being a "rip-off". Some maybe are from misaligned expectations regarding Petroglyph and Conan IP, I guess.); Little over a thousand peak players, lower than TAB's launch day's and today's peak.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice review, bringing to light some big WTFs. Including day-1 DLC for another character. For 11$!!!! Yup. Certainly a no-buy due to that for me, especially considering there are only two other characters.
I don't mind cosmetic day-1 DLCs or minor stuff, but just taking 1/3 characters out to sell them for half the price of the main game... ???

Edit: Aaand the video was removed and reuploaded because he used the word "spear chuckers", which, apparently, is racist :lol: (wtf?!)
Merlkir Now you can watch it!

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Big update, DLC heroes now available to all players, also price cut and free weekend: https://steamcommunity.com/games/989690/announcements/detail/2978491455736151267

Belit's Fury Update Now Available!
662b01eb9638c6f3a985913418416bb6f8ddc296.png

A New Challenger Approaches

She's here to volley arrows and chew bubble gum. Introducing:
Belit

Born in Shem, Belit was a corsair, explorer and warrior. Worshiped as a goddess by her crew, she was Conan's first and greatest love. Belit is a ranged unit who uses a Hyrkanian bow in combat. She has the range of an Archer with her damage falling somewhere between Conan and Valeria. She is equal to Valeria in movement speed.

Her deadly ability, "Rain of Arrows", fires a volley of arrows at a target position, damaging everything in the area for the duration of the effect. If near a Brazier, the ability becomes "Rain of Flaming Arrows". Belit cannot move while the ability is active but becomes immune to damage until the effect ends.

Hero Availability

Please note that ALL heroes will be available to everyone when this patch goes to the Live branch later this month. This includes the archer hero, Belit and the powerful spell caster Kalanthes. This also means the Deluxe Edition of the game will no longer be available for purchase, but those who bought it previously will still keep the eBook and the soundtrack include in the Deluxe Edition.

Free Weekend and Price Change

We’re happy to announce that Conan Unconquered will be free to play this weekend starting now! This is a great time to try the game if you don’t yet own it or get a friend in to conquer the lands with in co-op mode. If you purchase it during the free weekend, you’ll also get it for 30% off! Additionally, starting today, Conan Unconquered will permanently remain at a new price point of $19.99.

New Features:
  • New Scenario Challenges: Five new locations can now be unlocked on the map of scenarios, each with their own specific challenges to overcome.
  • Score Multiplier Notifications for our new Bonus Scoring System! Kill Streaks and other bonus are now more visible to players.
  • In-Game Manual has replaced the hint system which is now available from main menu and in-game (pause menu)
  • Scenarios are now highlighted within the challenge system on their own tab. Compete for high scores against other players in the most popular scenarios in the game
  • New Unconquered Mode Option: Large Maps – Activating this option will increase the map size by about 20% in both single and co-op modes. (Note that this will affect random generation times and may impact performance on min-spec machines.)
  • New Unconquered Mode Option: Random Start Position – Activating this option will randomly locate your fortress in one of 5 positions on the map
  • Map Visuals – We have added many new map features, ruins and ground effects to maps so they will feel different between matches. Grass can be found in the new maps, for example.
Various Bug Fixes & Improvements:
  • Fix for being unable to place a hunter shack in some circumstances. Could happen easily with save/load or placing a hunter shack over a previously destroyed one.
  • Better, more intelligent pathfinding for ranged units that attack enemies on the other side of a wall.
  • Fix for walls that could not be built in some locations which should have been valid.
  • Several crash fixes implemented which could occur in a variety of situations.
  • Sound effect plays when someone joins game lobby and when chat messages are received.
  • All structures now use physics destruction mechanics (aesthetic only).
  • Fix for spiders, scorpions, and raiders getting stuck inside of their spawning structures.
  • Switching to the research build mode will tab to the category with new research items in it (only if there are new research items).
  • Units adhere to walkable areas and avoid walking along cliffs better than before.
  • Disabling drag select canceling sell mode if the user is holding down shift.
  • Guardian kill multiplier is now shared between both players in coop.
  • Wave survival multiplier is now shared between both players in coop. When either hero dies, both player multipliers now reset to 1X.
  • Fix for Wave Tracker details missing after loading a load/save.
  • On Infinite Wave Mode, past wave 40, the Icon tracker of a defeated wave did not disappear normally but now it does.
  • Adding “new item” visual for when the player unlocks new objects via research or construction.
  • Challenge system - slider added so that more than just the top 5 scores are displayed. Also added players score (at whatever rank they are listed).
  • Hero wave survival multiplier icon and text will grey out (disable) when hero dies, and restore when revived.
  • Score system: Game settings difficulty multiplier display added on the score summary / debrief screen.
  • Score system: Added support for tracking highest score multiplier achieved, per player in all game modes.
  • Wave pings disappear before the attack wave becomes visible to player during tactical gameplay.
  • The Avatar of Mitra has new attack animations.
Balance Changes:
  • Braziers now stop providing fire arrows if they are shut down.
  • Quarry: Each blue stone resource square now grants 2 stone (was 1).
  • Feat “I Claim This Land” (level 4): The reward for this feat has changed. Instead of being un-targetable by enemies, battle standards with this feat now regenerate health when not in combat. This change was made due to potential exploit issues with the original reward.
  • Unconquered Mode: All solo and Co-op wave number selections have been revised to have more randomization in the waves. It should be much less likely to see the same enemies on the same wave number from match to match.
  • The build times of all Scholar Guild research tasks have been reduced to 120 (was 150).
  • Added Skeletons to wave attacks.
  • The build time for all traps (Gas, Fire, Spikes) has been reduced to 1 second.
  • Score system: Reworked Highest/Best Kill Streak to now be based on max kills, not max score gained from kills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom