Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are RTWP doomed to be less popular then turnbased

RTWP doomed in mainstream?

• yes

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • no

Votes: 36 53.7%

• Total voters

Can't think of a single RTWP besides dragon age that has done well with mainstream audience.
In comparison, DOS2 and DOS1 have been hugely popular and even people who don't know the words 'dnd' have played DOS2.

Keep in mind, I am not saying which one is better or worse. RTWP have a tendency to become a clustur fuck of noise and requires multiple pausing whereas turnbased is neat, orderly and sequential. Does this indicate RTWP have a natural higher barrier to entry then Turnbased?

One example I can share is when I was showing my 11 year old cousin how to play pillars , he literally could not find his own character during the fight. Am not sure if that means hes retarded but he does well in school so that refutes otherwise. He obviously did not have this problem in larian games.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
People can say whatever thay want about DOS1-2, but man they had such an impact it completely turned around how TB vs RTwP are perceived in the mainstream. Used to be TB was considered a niche system for cRPGs, not good for sales, while RTwP was the safe option.

Great incline!

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
rtwp is for the cognitive elite, turn based is so every retard and their arthritic grandma can play it.

"I can't find my character!" is the codex turdbased moron's equivalent of "I can't find Caius Cosades!"

there's a reason why most shitty FB pay to win games were turn based

original sin tapped into that same audience

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
RTWP and turn-based were both dead for a time, so PoE didn't kill any momentum. The resurgence of turn-based could just as easily be attributed to XCOM: Enemy Unknown, though.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The resurgence of turn-based could just as easily be attributed to XCOM: Enemy Unknown, though.
The resurgence of it in RPGs though? Not sure XCOM had any influence there. Audiences, devs, etc. are not really the same.

Big Wrangle

While it didn't happen instantly, Enemy Unknown showed such combat system can turn a profit, so developers became a bit more confident.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Enemy Unknown was release in October 2012. DOS was Kickstarted in May 2013 and released in June 2014.

In other words, DOS was in design way before Enemy Unknown had any impact. The Kickstarter says 2010.

Puteo

Learned
XCOM showed it can work but everyone and their dog copied the system slavishly and they were largely ok-to-mediocre. D:OS did something completely different and sold gangbusters; showing that you didn't need to stick to the XCOM coverhumping formula to have success.

Jezal_k23

I think Larian will answer that question with BG3. Let's see Larian take a stab at it, assuming BG3 is not turn based. I mean, they put out a fairly shitty combat system with DOS2 and everyone still thinks it's literally the best game ever made. They might be able to put out a piece of shit of a RTWP combat system and still be praised for it and sell millions of copies, and have everyone saying it is literally the best game ever made after DOS2! If anyone can do this it's them.

11 year old cousin, thy name is Darth Roxor.

On the topic at hand, given that the devs behind the wave of nu-RTWP games neither seem to fully grasp the benefits and limitations of real-time combat (and/or secretly wish they hadn't promised a BG successor to their backers and could make a fully turn based game) -- who knows?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Turn-based gameplay is just a relic of the past and was necessary back then due to techincal limitations of the time. RTwP is an evolution of that but still just a stepping stone for the greater things to come.

By the time Dragon Age 2 came out, we started seeing what RPGs could truly accomplish with a fully actionized combat system that put you more directly in control of your character, thus enhancing the role-playing aspect of the game.

The obvious culmination of this progressing technology is a comprehensive virtual reality RPG that will be the ultimate Immersive experience the Gamers around the world have been waiting for. Skyrim VR shows us the potential of the genre in a way we couldn't have even dreamed of 20 years ago. With the advent of virtual reality gaming, we have come a long way from turn-based and party-based pen and paper simulations that, while historically important, are severely outdated and ultimately far behind the virtual reality games that are truly able to capture the meaning of "role-playing" that the genre is named for.

Codex Year of the Donut
RTwP is not inherently bad, IE-style RTwP is inherently bad.
There is a cognitive overload when simultaneously managing 6+ characters in a complex RPG where it's possible for each character to have dozens of unique abilities/spells, even with the ability to pause. IMO this largely goes away when a game is turn-based because you no longer think of it as managing them simultaneously but process them one by one.
One of the main reasons I enjoyed DA:O was the tactics system. It let me customize my party to my liking and play my character while my allies did what I expected of them(mostly), especially with the extended tactics mod. And unlike full AI-controlled companions, if a situation got difficult or I needed to do something specific I could still override it and take control if needed.

Mustawd

To answer the OP: Yes.

TB and Realtime are inherently easier to setup with a controller. RTwP? Not so much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom