Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
One of the devs has replied to my criticism:
After initial hype I feel a bit disappointed. Firstly, while the idea behind the trailer is good (the whole savescumming simulation), the art isn't, especially characters who are fugly. Not ugly but fucking ugly. What's worse they all look like clones, the only difference is in the width and length of their faces (and the amount of hair). They're basically walking rectangles hewn here and there. What's more, the only woman there looks like a teenage girl with a down syndrome and all of the guys look like some bandits or other rapists.

Compare this trailer with cinematics in Desperados or Shadow Tactics:
O3lBx5I.jpg
Shadow Tactics is just perfect and Desperados one might be even better considering the time it was done. But this new Kaiji style I don't dig and I miss the good old simple and plain.

Also, while I appreciate the premise of the trailer it triggers me when I see someone like John Cooper acting so stupidly, even if it is by the hands of some retarded gamer in one of the variations. The real Desperados trailer should show how invincible Cooper's band is, period. They're like scores of Clint Eastwoods with Jackie Chan on top.

As for the gameplay, I'm not impressed either, it looks way too similar to Shadow Tactics.

Bear trap is just a bigger version of Yuki's trap (or that guy from Commandos which I don't remember) only this time it's much more stupid because of its size. How the fuck would anyone walk into a trap of this size is beyond me. Not to mention that it would be way harder to modify it in a way it would trigger unless you would have a mass of a bear. And once someone would walk into it it would be so messy (and noisy, the bear trap clenching would be super noisy and add screams to that) that an alarm would be imminent with a frantic search for a monster who would have done it (it's a different case when you have a dead guy with no trace of blood and you have no idea WTF happened but when you see guts and blood everywhere you go into panic mode and shoot everything that moves). And seriously, walking around with something as big on your back would be problematic on so many levels. Why not use something that already works (like Sam's snake)?

Coin toss is also way worse than Cooper's watch, not only because of a timer (which added a bit of "tactical nuance" as RPS guy said) but also because a coin like that wouldn't make much of a sound if it would land on a soil or some other soft ground (like a grass). Unless the game would take details like that into account (which is doubtful) and make it useless in some situations it will be a change for the much worse.

The rest isn't impressive either so we can forget about some interesting new ideas. Now it all comes down to missions and maps, if they will be varied and interestingly set up it might be a worthy successor of Shadow Tactics but I can already see that Desperados will still be the king.

BTW the RPS journalists seems to not be aware that Desperados also had synchronized Quick Actions (he only mentioned Desperados 2).
https://steamcommunity.com/app/610370/discussions/0/1736588252401977601/?tscn=1535279871
coru said:
Hey! Thanks for the feedback :)

As usual, I'm just going to reply without any marketing bullcrap and my honest oppinion on things :) So please don't get mad if I disagree on some things (i still prefer saying WHY we make the choices we do, which only works with honesty imo).

Regarding the trailer: I personally don't care much for trailers when looking towards gameplay. I like our trailer but of course I can understand why you don't like it. Honestly, though: It doesn't matter at all for the game. It will never dictate ANYTHING regarding the game or gameplay, in the end it's a marketing asset to generate attention and get people to look into the game!

Feedback regarding what feels right to you guys" and what doesn't (Bear Trap size for you) is always welcome! It is something we can always work on, if we think it is a good thing to do! So hearing the mood of the community is great there. We will keep listening regarding this topic!

Realism of the coin: I personally don't think that's a problem. Yes, a coin wouldnt make a loud noise on some surfaces in the real world. So would almost any other thrown item. If we look at any part of this (or basically any) game like this, there wouldn't be much left. Sometimes you have to make "realism" sacrifices to make good mechanics and i think the vision of "a thrown coin making a noise" is strong enough. Also a coin just fits cool with coopers personality and the setting we have.

A big portion of your feedback regarding ST that also comes into play now with the thoughts regarding the coin vs pocket watch:
One of our most important design mantras is that we want to create depth WITHOUT complexity. This informs a LOT of decissions we make and it is a huge part of why we managed to revive the genre like this with Shadow Tactics. Times have changed, design partices have changed and what players expect has changed.
Desperados 1 was a great game, but it is old. It is full of needless complexity and confusing systems, that are NOT necessary to it being the fun it can be.
Now to be clear: This does NOT AT ALL mean we are going "casual" or whatever people like to call it. Depth is important to us. It's what makes the game tick. But making the game great to use and readable is a huge part in this.

While you know the whole thing inside and out and it works great for you, if you take a step back and look at many of those things, you will realize that they are very hard to communicate and hidden somewhere in the game. For someone playing this genre for the first or second time they are basically non-existent and create a lot of frustration and questionmarks. The times where people put up with this are (luckily) over, and good design needs to make those things work. Sure, there still are the great complex games (which i love when done right!) like the big Paradox Strategy games etc. but Desperados shouldn't be one of them and doesn't have to be imo. We create other types of challenges and want to focus on those.

Now with this out of the way I'm going to talk about the pocket watch and why I think it was bad in Desperados and is even worse today:
The purpose of it is to lure guards towards it. The timer allows you to be somewhere else when that happens, which is a good concept that adds a lot to the game.
We replicated this with Kuma the Tanuki in Shadow Tactics. But what we did is that we removed the timer and allowed you to trigger it whenver you want to. Now why did we do that?
I don't think the timer adds any depth or interessting decissions. All it does, is offer potential of failure when setting the whole thing up. I have a plan i want to execute: Lure guards towards it in the right moment. Having to micromanage second-timings, quickloading any time i have put a wrong amount of seconds in (which i only realize after some time), just doesn't add anything but tediousness to the mechanic. I don't want players to have to manage 3 patrolling guard timings with a seconds-setup on a skill, when the IDEA oif what they want to do was good. I want to tell them "Great idea! Now use the skill and progress!" Not "Great idea! Now iterate 20 times on how to use the skill correctly and then progress!"
I don't want our players to quickload 20 times for something like this. I wan't them to quickload for something cool.

Now then there is the balance/character setup argument:
For how our character cast is set up it would be bad to give Cooper the possibility to lure guards towards a location. We prototyped versions of the coin that made character move towards it and it destroyed the game balance. It invalidates Hector, who is the "Lure with noise" character and makes you use (the already very strong) Cooper far too often.

The old games in the genre didn't pay too much attention to this, so it might be "normal" in D1, but we really try to have even splits and clear skillsets on our characters. So adding a "move guard" skill to Cooper just makes the game less fun.

NOW, regarding the "forget about new things" part:
Don't worry :) We still have a very new and unique character up our sleeves that hasn't been revealed, yet. It adds a lot of cool ideas and mechanics to the genre (imo) and I cant wait to show it to you guys at some point.
There also is a lot more subtle new stuff, like the Civil Zones that change how you can approach some missions. The guns, which are VERY different from Shadow Tactics and allow for new strategies and tactics. And a lot more other stuff I can't talk about right now.

But to close this of: Thank you very much for critizing and giving feedback! There are always important parts in there, it also forces us to re-evaluate our designs and see if they are still valid and we still think they are the correct choice.
Please keep doing this, it really helps us to make a better game, even if sometimes we disagree or don't take the action you would like to have seen taken!
This is why me > you bootlickers.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll accept their character balance excuse but having the musical watch trigger with a set amount of seconds instead of "whenever I press a button on the keyboard" adds a nice degree of unpredictability to the game flow... it might offer "fake depth" but if you have to sometimes improvise due to botched timing it makes the game feel less mechanical, imo (even if you're the kind of person who would immediately quickload the latest save in that scenario).

Then again I'm not a professional game designer and the game looks pretty cool so what do I know.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One of the devs has replied to my criticism:
After initial hype I feel a bit disappointed. Firstly, while the idea behind the trailer is good (the whole savescumming simulation), the art isn't, especially characters who are fugly. Not ugly but fucking ugly. What's worse they all look like clones, the only difference is in the width and length of their faces (and the amount of hair). They're basically walking rectangles hewn here and there. What's more, the only woman there looks like a teenage girl with a down syndrome and all of the guys look like some bandits or other rapists.

Compare this trailer with cinematics in Desperados or Shadow Tactics:
O3lBx5I.jpg
Shadow Tactics is just perfect and Desperados one might be even better considering the time it was done. But this new Kaiji style I don't dig and I miss the good old simple and plain.

Also, while I appreciate the premise of the trailer it triggers me when I see someone like John Cooper acting so stupidly, even if it is by the hands of some retarded gamer in one of the variations. The real Desperados trailer should show how invincible Cooper's band is, period. They're like scores of Clint Eastwoods with Jackie Chan on top.

As for the gameplay, I'm not impressed either, it looks way too similar to Shadow Tactics.

Bear trap is just a bigger version of Yuki's trap (or that guy from Commandos which I don't remember) only this time it's much more stupid because of its size. How the fuck would anyone walk into a trap of this size is beyond me. Not to mention that it would be way harder to modify it in a way it would trigger unless you would have a mass of a bear. And once someone would walk into it it would be so messy (and noisy, the bear trap clenching would be super noisy and add screams to that) that an alarm would be imminent with a frantic search for a monster who would have done it (it's a different case when you have a dead guy with no trace of blood and you have no idea WTF happened but when you see guts and blood everywhere you go into panic mode and shoot everything that moves). And seriously, walking around with something as big on your back would be problematic on so many levels. Why not use something that already works (like Sam's snake)?

Coin toss is also way worse than Cooper's watch, not only because of a timer (which added a bit of "tactical nuance" as RPS guy said) but also because a coin like that wouldn't make much of a sound if it would land on a soil or some other soft ground (like a grass). Unless the game would take details like that into account (which is doubtful) and make it useless in some situations it will be a change for the much worse.

The rest isn't impressive either so we can forget about some interesting new ideas. Now it all comes down to missions and maps, if they will be varied and interestingly set up it might be a worthy successor of Shadow Tactics but I can already see that Desperados will still be the king.

BTW the RPS journalists seems to not be aware that Desperados also had synchronized Quick Actions (he only mentioned Desperados 2).
https://steamcommunity.com/app/610370/discussions/0/1736588252401977601/?tscn=1535279871
coru said:
Hey! Thanks for the feedback :)

As usual, I'm just going to reply without any marketing bullcrap and my honest oppinion on things :) So please don't get mad if I disagree on some things (i still prefer saying WHY we make the choices we do, which only works with honesty imo).

Regarding the trailer: I personally don't care much for trailers when looking towards gameplay. I like our trailer but of course I can understand why you don't like it. Honestly, though: It doesn't matter at all for the game. It will never dictate ANYTHING regarding the game or gameplay, in the end it's a marketing asset to generate attention and get people to look into the game!

Feedback regarding what feels right to you guys" and what doesn't (Bear Trap size for you) is always welcome! It is something we can always work on, if we think it is a good thing to do! So hearing the mood of the community is great there. We will keep listening regarding this topic!

Realism of the coin: I personally don't think that's a problem. Yes, a coin wouldnt make a loud noise on some surfaces in the real world. So would almost any other thrown item. If we look at any part of this (or basically any) game like this, there wouldn't be much left. Sometimes you have to make "realism" sacrifices to make good mechanics and i think the vision of "a thrown coin making a noise" is strong enough. Also a coin just fits cool with coopers personality and the setting we have.

A big portion of your feedback regarding ST that also comes into play now with the thoughts regarding the coin vs pocket watch:
One of our most important design mantras is that we want to create depth WITHOUT complexity. This informs a LOT of decissions we make and it is a huge part of why we managed to revive the genre like this with Shadow Tactics. Times have changed, design partices have changed and what players expect has changed.
Desperados 1 was a great game, but it is old. It is full of needless complexity and confusing systems, that are NOT necessary to it being the fun it can be.
Now to be clear: This does NOT AT ALL mean we are going "casual" or whatever people like to call it. Depth is important to us. It's what makes the game tick. But making the game great to use and readable is a huge part in this.

While you know the whole thing inside and out and it works great for you, if you take a step back and look at many of those things, you will realize that they are very hard to communicate and hidden somewhere in the game. For someone playing this genre for the first or second time they are basically non-existent and create a lot of frustration and questionmarks. The times where people put up with this are (luckily) over, and good design needs to make those things work. Sure, there still are the great complex games (which i love when done right!) like the big Paradox Strategy games etc. but Desperados shouldn't be one of them and doesn't have to be imo. We create other types of challenges and want to focus on those.

Now with this out of the way I'm going to talk about the pocket watch and why I think it was bad in Desperados and is even worse today:
The purpose of it is to lure guards towards it. The timer allows you to be somewhere else when that happens, which is a good concept that adds a lot to the game.
We replicated this with Kuma the Tanuki in Shadow Tactics. But what we did is that we removed the timer and allowed you to trigger it whenver you want to. Now why did we do that?
I don't think the timer adds any depth or interessting decissions. All it does, is offer potential of failure when setting the whole thing up. I have a plan i want to execute: Lure guards towards it in the right moment. Having to micromanage second-timings, quickloading any time i have put a wrong amount of seconds in (which i only realize after some time), just doesn't add anything but tediousness to the mechanic. I don't want players to have to manage 3 patrolling guard timings with a seconds-setup on a skill, when the IDEA oif what they want to do was good. I want to tell them "Great idea! Now use the skill and progress!" Not "Great idea! Now iterate 20 times on how to use the skill correctly and then progress!"
I don't want our players to quickload 20 times for something like this. I wan't them to quickload for something cool.

Now then there is the balance/character setup argument:
For how our character cast is set up it would be bad to give Cooper the possibility to lure guards towards a location. We prototyped versions of the coin that made character move towards it and it destroyed the game balance. It invalidates Hector, who is the "Lure with noise" character and makes you use (the already very strong) Cooper far too often.

The old games in the genre didn't pay too much attention to this, so it might be "normal" in D1, but we really try to have even splits and clear skillsets on our characters. So adding a "move guard" skill to Cooper just makes the game less fun.

NOW, regarding the "forget about new things" part:
Don't worry :) We still have a very new and unique character up our sleeves that hasn't been revealed, yet. It adds a lot of cool ideas and mechanics to the genre (imo) and I cant wait to show it to you guys at some point.
There also is a lot more subtle new stuff, like the Civil Zones that change how you can approach some missions. The guns, which are VERY different from Shadow Tactics and allow for new strategies and tactics. And a lot more other stuff I can't talk about right now.

But to close this of: Thank you very much for critizing and giving feedback! There are always important parts in there, it also forces us to re-evaluate our designs and see if they are still valid and we still think they are the correct choice.
Please keep doing this, it really helps us to make a better game, even if sometimes we disagree or don't take the action you would like to have seen taken!
This is why me > you bootlickers.
I have to give that to you. That coin vs watch explanation is so fucking retarded and so wrong on many levels. I'd like to ask this developer to show me all those complex and confusing systems in D1? What the fuck, every characther had a basic, easily understood abilty and that's it. There was nothing confusing in it. So the pocket watch is bad because it adds a randomness element in the game and it is bad if you have to assess the situation and use the watch in the right time. Fuck that shit. And I'd like to add that it was super easy to use the timing in the pocket watch, and I don't think the developer actually played D1 for longer periods of time.

And I don't really care about changing it, because for me the coin is just as good of an item, than a watch. But their reasoning is just bad. It's so funny that everytime any developer is asked about changing a working and loved mechanic in an old game, they always give a bullshit answer about confusion and complexity. For fuck's sake, this new Desperados won't be played by a bro dude Call of Duty gamer, it will be played by supposedly more intelligent, tactical game fans, which can handle a bit of complexity.

HansDampf

Arcane
Timing the watch isn't hard because it won't just play one sound the moment the timer hits 0. It will continue playing for an extended period of time and alert any guard that enters its circle.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It seems that this game's title was indeed meant to be just "Desperados" and they changed it Desperados III at the last minute.

Last edited:

zool

Arcane
Mimimi being in charge of making a sequel to Desperados is one of the best news I've heard in quite some time, though I would have prefered they continue the Shadow Tactics franchise in a different setting that hasn't been done yet (Antiquity, Renaissance, colonial India, Europe in the Victorian era, Cold War, ...). The first Desperados game already magnificently covers the Wild West setting.

Seeing what they've done with Shadow Tactics, I have full confidence they will deliver on the gameplay. I just hope they will also keep the same production value all around - the art, portraits, voicing, music and so on was also what made Shadow Tactics so enjoyable.

Oh, and if they could bring back those cool atmospheric 3D cinematics in-between missions that the original Desperados had, that would be awesome - I missed not having those in Shadow Tactics, though the in-engine cutscenes were well-done.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would have prefered they continue the Shadow Tactics franchise in a different setting that hasn't been done yet (Antiquity, Renaissance, colonial India, Europe in the Victorian era, Cold War, ...).
I don't think this was an option. When they released Shadow Tactics they were basically broke and needed to sign a new contract ASAP just to stay afloat. Since at that point it wasn't clear that Shadow Tactics was going to be the success it became, I doubt they had enough leverage to dictate that they wanted to do the same thing in a completely new setting. So when THQ Nordic offered a new Desperados game, it was undoubtedly too good to pass up - they love Desperados, it's the same style of game they want to make, and accepting it keeps the company in business.

I think there's a good chance that after Desperados 3 they do a new setting though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
During the run-up to the announcement, it sounded like they weren't necessarily planning to create another game of this type after this one:

After finishing Shadow Tactics, we felt like staying true to a genre at least once

But I guess we'll see.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think I doubt that. Desperados 3 was announced to great fanfare, Shadow Tactics was a success. While any studio can plan things, will they actually stick to those plans? I have a feeling that they might carve out a niche from strategy and real time tactics. They clearly have a knack for something like this.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I really shouldn't have done the last mission of Shadow Tactics by that method of using sneeze powder on the soldiers. I finally did it properly and Christ, it was 3 hours long and I had 477 saves. Ball bustingly hard but amazing closure in gameplay. I was way burned out by that point though when I played it first time around, the second to last and last missions were hard as hell.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
About stopwatches...

This will spoil the ending of For a Few Dollars More.

Edit: well, not exactly stopwatch, but reminded of this scene.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
German interview:

Still so hyped aboout this. I installed 1 and 2 for a replay. 2 is ... early 2000ish, when everything had to be 3d. And the writing is ... just terrible, plain terrible. 1 is still a great game though. Good gameplay (although I miss some stuff from Shadow Tactics), good writing (short and to the point) and a good story. This time I will finish it and be hyped until 3 comes out.

The last four years were quite good to be a gamer^^.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That train screenshot does have the 1st game's feel. It's not exactly the same (rip those beautiful 2D maps) but it is close.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

I’m not going to lie to you. I do not know what a Desperados is. The same goes for Desperados II, which I assume must exist. But I played Desperados III, and I like it.
Stopped reading right there.

Edit:
The second link makes it even worse because it shows that creators don't know Desperados either (or have no regard for its atmosphere):
"Desperados III: Why THQ Nordic is making a prequel for the stealth tactics series": https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/10/...ing-a-prequel-for-the-stealth-tactics-series/
We have a lot of silly humor in the dialogue.
Cooper being a kid (even if for only a couple of missions or even one) also doesn't help.

Desperados was great not only because of the superb gameplay but also because of great plot and dialogues. Characters felt real and although it wasn't grim dark and had some lighter moments it was rather serious in tone, which fitted the game where you murder everyone in your sight (or not but only if you're up for the challenge). Scenes like these make it really special:

Imagine Cooper cracking a joke after gutting someone with a knife. Does that look sensible to you?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom