Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Larian is making Baldur's Gate 3

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Why would it be RTwP? This thing is going to consoles. It’ll be TB.

Eh. Have you taken a look at WotC CRPGs recently?

Baldurs Gate - RTwP
Planescape Torment - RTwP
Icewind Dale - RTwP
Baldurs Gate II - RTwP
Icewind Dale II - RTwP
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor - RTwP
Neverwinter Nights - RTwP
ToEE - TB
Neverwinter Nights 2 - RTwP
All EEs - RTwP
Siege of Dragonspear - RTwP
Sword Coast Legends - RTwP (TB was added to a console version which was released at a later date)

Last edited:

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why add TB for the consoles if we want it too?
Fuck those PC-rtwp retards. Get used to console TB glory already!

And TB was like the only stronger point for Torment: Numenera in comparison with PST.

User0001

Savant
It's hilarious. This guy makes a 'history on isometric CRPGs' videos-series, and his latest is about Baldurs gate 2. He concludes that a Baldur's Gate 3 game is highly unlikely and in JUST A FEW HOURS after uploading the video this news breaks!

at 1:16:32 he starts to talk about the history of what happened with Baldur's Gate 3

Did someone post this here already?

Thatz crazy

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It's hilarious. This guy makes a 'history on isometric CRPGs' videos-series, and his latest is about Baldurs gate 2. He concludes that a Baldur's Gate 3 game is highly unlikely and in JUST A FEW HOURS after uploading the video this news breaks!

at 1:16:32 he starts to talk about the history of what happened with Baldur's Gate 3

Did someone post this here already?

Thatz crazy

He is probably still correct in that this BG3 from Larian will likely be nothing like BG1-2. Also BG2 is extremely overrated game anyway.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Also BG2 is extremely overrated game anyway.

Not overrated, but not the big player it once was. Compared to the two Fallouts I always found it a bit light in the rule departement, but it was good at telling you how much cool stuff there's in the realms. And that would be the job of BG3: telling us how much cool stuff there is and actually wanting us to play the original P&Per.

Delterius

Arcane
Also BG2 is extremely overrated game anyway.

Not overrated, but not the big player it once was. Compared to the two Fallouts I always found it a bit light in the rule departement, but it was good at telling you how much cool stuff there's in the realms. And that would be the job of BG3: telling us how much cool stuff there is and actually wanting us to play the original P&Per.
What FreeKaner means is that its a solid 9.5 even though most people think its a 10.

i have a wifi as well and it like dcs for a few seconds then comes back on its own or when I press it back in, it aso happens depends on where in the room I am so Ihad to like move from my comfy spot back to the table and that thing made me feel powerless and angry and so i needed to vent even tho like the itnernet itself was working already

i hope this clears everythign out
into each life some rain must fall

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:rpgcodex:
Also, recent? Most of these games are old enough to drink. In fact they're a lot closer to Gold Box/Eye of the Beholder, which were all turn based, than to 2019. All you're proving is that WoTC knew how to capitalise on the Infinity Engine craze.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
What FreeKaner means is that its a solid 9.5 even though most people think its a 10.

Eh. More of a 8.5.

What I mean to say is that it is not a bad game but it is way overrated, especially compared to BG1 which is a genuinely great game.

Overrated doesn't mean it is bad necessarily, it just means that it is valued over what it is. I think in case of BG2 it is because it was the first gigantic adventure RPG for many people. BG2 really goes downhill after you rescue Imoen from the tower as well.

Eh. More of a 8.5.

What I mean to say is that it is not a bad game but it is way overrated, especially compared to BG1 which is a genuinely great game.
I agree I always liked baldurs gate 1 more. Also liked icewind dale more than both baldurs gate. Part of it is low level D&D is just superior imo, and as far as the icewind dale thing it was because of the total party building flexibility and the richness of the world visually and musically.

User0001

Savant

Fallouts were solid 9.5.

Baldurs gate did what previous D&D games had not done, put action and exploration in an open isometric world.
If Larian can add world-reactivity and somewhat keep the old Infinit-engine D&D action, fans will be happy. If it is turn-based, they will have to make the world-reactivity, storytelling-reactivity and the combat VERY top of the line for this to not become mediocre.

Baldur's Gate games were 8 MAYBE 8.5, but that is just an opinion.

Delterius

Arcane

Fallouts were solid 9.5.

Baldurs gate did what previous D&D games had not done, put action and exploration in an open isometric world.
If Larian can add world-reactivity and somewhat keep the old Infinit-engine D&D action, fans will be happy. If it is turn-based, they will have to make the world-reactivity, storytelling-reactivity and the combat VERY top of the line for this to not become mediocre.

Baldur's Gate games were 8 MAIBY 8.5, but that is just an opinion.
Fallouts were objectively 9.7.

Codex Year of the Donut
Why would it be RTwP? This thing is going to consoles. It’ll be TB.

Eh. Have you taken a look at WotC CRPGs recently?

Baldurs Gate - RTwP
Planescape Torment - RTwP
Icewind Dale - RTwP
Baldurs Gate II - RTwP
Icewind Dale II - RTwP
Neverwinter Nights - RTwP
ToEE - TB
Neverwinter Nights 2 - RTwP
All EEs - RTwP
Siege of Dragonspear - RTwP
Sword Coast Legends - RTwP (TB was added to a console version which was released at a later date)
I doubt it will ever change but the 'RTwP' name is just a misnomer. Round-based combat is anything but realtime, it's closer to the Active Time Battle system you see in earlier JRPGs(I think Chrono Trigger was the first prominent example of it? maybe a final fantasy?) but obviously with a pause.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eye of the Beholder for Game Boy Advance has turn based combat. Bet you didn't know that, did you?

TCAC

Novice
If this was before the Kickstarter Era, I would be extremely excited. Now I'm just curious to see exactly how they will fuck it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom