Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Barkley 2 - the new Codex vaporware champion

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They took all the money from the kickstarter and invested it into bitcoin, making themselves a ton of money while completely giving up on ever finishing the game. Instead they lead people along with these insincere, patronizing updates that obscure a lack of progress with their usual tired "humor," safe in the lack of accountability offered by kickstarter. Especially insulting is the amount of these various low level "gamejam" games that they continue to release, all told probably taking up hundreds of hours that they could have been spending working on the game they've been paid to make. They should be sued.
If that were true, at least they would have gotten something out the whole ordeal.

I don't think anyone will be getting anything out of this.
We aren't even getting any drama :(

Modron

Arcane
I just figured out why they've delayed the release so long, they are holding out until they can unleash it on the same day as the new space jam movie.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Every time you bump this thread you end up removing some of the webs I made around this game.

Please stop.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
agentorange has a point. however I still trust cboyardee.

i'm many years late on my own projects. it's that last 1% bro.

it's like a law of the universe that you must lose momentum before you can cross finish line.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From an article about Kickstarter delays: https://gamedaily.biz/article/644/why-the-majority-of-kickstarter-games-fail-to-ship-on-time

Francis Coulombe, an artist working on Barkley 2, revealed that a combination of previously mentioned problems have caused the sequel to Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden remain unreleased while 58 pages flew off of the calendar like autumnal leaves.

Development became a victim of the campaign’s success according to Coulombe. New additions crept in interminably.

“Our funding goal was something like $30,000 and we expected we'd be barely limping to that goal by the end of the month. We thought we would basically use the funding to help us get the project started, working on it full time for a while, and then we'd just finish it up part time when the funds ran out - but that big old burst of cash made us make a lot of mistakes I think,” he said.

$120K later, the small team behind the cult classic where Charles Barkley performs a slam dunk so powerful it eradicates everyone in the arena, were dreaming up all sorts of extra detailed dialogue interactions, side stories, and optional questlines. Coulombe compared the situation to having too many cooks. He acknowledged that he, too, contributed to this problem, but said that he has since distanced himself from asserting too much creative influence and adding more to the pot of stew.

What Coulombe said was clear to him is that an experienced producer is a crucial element of any large team-based project. Crowdfunded games, he said, come with an additional layer of managerial challenges.

Inexperience, particularly on the production side of things, appears to be a driving force behind many of the pitfalls developers on crowdfunded projects tumble down. Additionally, they have to guard themselves against feature creep, the dangers of switching engines mid-development, and becoming victims of their own success.

Derk Derm

Literate
Huh, I was wondering why Frankie hasn't livestreamed any Barkley 2 spriting as of late, guess that answers that.

Goddamnit

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
"Yo, we can make this game for $30,000."

"This game looks great, here's $120,000 instead!"

"Where the fuck is the game?"

"Sorry, you gave us too much money. We couldn't finish it."

Belatedly, everyone realized that having corporate suits breathing down these nerds' necks with demands and deadlines was, in actuality, a wonderful thing.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
How the fuck Barkley 2 mutated into this chimeric clusterfuck of a game requires Chernobyl-like doses of stupidity radiation.

buffalo bill

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...quel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/2525425

Information about Barkley 2 Updates - why you haven't heard from us and why the game isn't dead yet.

Hello to all justifiably restless backers. I think for this first post I want to cover what has happened recently and specifically why I haven’t updated in so long.

First: It’s my fault. I consciously avoided updating, even at the requests of other people who worked on the game. The reason more than anything was cowardice, but I framed it under a strategic reasoning that once we could start giving GOOD NEWS, then the delay would be much easier to swallow to backers. The good news came few and far between and I would continue to move the goal posts in response. This was stupid and wrong. I should have been much more transparent with how the game was going and the trials we were encountering keeping the work going. I am sorry.

You all are the reason we started working on this game with such a concerted interest in the first place and cutting you out hoping for a massive turnaround that would wash all the silence under the bridge was foolish to say the least. My hope is that while this is always going to be too little and too late, I can at least explain what the problems were.

Second: This is Liam, bhroom, and I started as the producer and was the one who wrote most of the updates. I am bort’s brother. Bort worked on the first Barkley along with GZ and chef. Most of you know this. I’m going to avoid a massive chronology for the time being, since I just want to get this out, but I am committed and answering any questions you all may have.

As the game continued to age, people left the project for lots of reasons, mostly due to taking jobs or losing interest. Everyone still working picked up slack as the game went on, but this game always needed competent and constant development in order to come out under the lofty pretenses we had established. This was my first game and lots and lots of problems at the beginning were due to my inexperience. I do not think this game was doomed. I do think we needed a big rebuild about midway through though.

Until earlier this year, the game languished as we didn’t really have a full-time person working on the things that really matter in the game: combat, main quest events, bosses. GZ was on the project last year and would work when he could. In those times we would make progress, but always, in my foolish mind, just short of being enough to update. As I mentioned, this was entirely wrong of me. I would write it off as under-the-hood work, that wasn’t the pop we needed for our big “hey we aren’t dead” post.

GZ is now gone and he is the most upset about the state of the game and how he left. I never wanted that to happen and had always wished that there would be some working solution. That is not the case. I think his points are perfectly valid and his frustration with the game is well warranted. I want to confront those realities moving forward too and make sure that if there is a solution where the game is fully completed and released, I don’t repeat mistakes that might jeopardize relationships I’ve already damaged or destroyed.

Finally, - and before this become too long for a first post back - I am slowly inching the game forward with the help of a part time coder named paperjack. We are both hoping that we can get the game in a better state in the coming months. I will update more about that soon and get feedback on more constructive things like how the game actually IS and PLAYS. I’m assuming there will be another few posts from me addressing your questions and concerns and giving more information about what all has happened to get the game in the predicament that it is.

I am going to attempt to answer all questions on twitter and directly to me in KS. Based on those questions I’ll formulate the next update which… I guess will be in no more than 3 days from now? How much B2 is too much B2 in your feeds?

Once again. I’m going to work hard to make this right and make this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This is what you get for trusting goons

I dunno, Kickstarter works on trust, and you honestly never know who will fail you, I had successful games from absolute nobodies where I didn't expect anything to come out of it and utter failures from so called "professional" developers. If you don't have a small amount of money with which to gamble, don't do kickstarter and wait until the games pop up in a store

That said, I didn't back this in the first place because I really didn't get the appeal

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally, - and before this become too long for a first post back - I am slowly inching the game forward with the help of a part time coder named paperjack. We are both hoping that we can get the game in a better state in the coming months. I will update more about that soon and get feedback on more constructive things like how the game actually IS and PLAYS. I’m assuming there will be another few posts from me addressing your questions and concerns and giving more information about what all has happened to get the game in the predicament that it is.

a part time coder named paperjack? what this game actually needs is a CRACKER JACK PROGRAMMER.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That said, I didn't back this in the first place because I really didn't get the appeal

It's an ironic, parodical, surreal blaxploitation RPG/dark comedy farce (well, it would be if it existed). I reckon the target audience is highly specific.

Repressed Homosexual
Like one of the guys in the Kickstarter comments said, people backed this game because of the developers that were involved with it. Now since they're all gone the game is little but an empty shell.

I can understand Chef Boyardee honestly, he surely realized that the project was too badly managed, too ambitious and too chaotic and as other developers did later, he left, and he didn't just blast the project because of all he poured into it and because he didn't want to bash those who were still trying to make it a reality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom